    upgrade--didn't help. it still works with the original stick of RAM.
    Any thoughts? Did I get bad RAM?

    , Jun 25, 2007

  2. - Bobb - Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I had 256MB of DDR PC3200 installed and wanted more. I thought I
    > found a good deal on ebay 2 sticks of 1GB DDR PC3200 made my NCP. Ad
    > stated that it was new. I install either or both of the sticks in
    > either or both of the slots and get a beep and the computer won't
    > start. Online chat with compaq (who made the 'puter) recommended BIOS
    > upgrade--didn't help. it still works with the original stick of RAM.
    > Any thoughts? Did I get bad RAM?

    From manual - PC supports PC2100 0r PC2700 unbuffered non-ECC ONLY.

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...c00063244&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=96300

    - Bobb -, Jun 25, 2007

  3. HH Guest

    Uh, knowing what model Compaq might help.
    HH

    HH, Jun 26, 2007
  4. Guest

    it's a SR1010V.

    , Jun 26, 2007
  5. HH Guest

    HH, Jun 26, 2007
  6. Guest

    That's what I've got and it doesn't work. That is the origin of my
    question. I've got 2 sticks of 1GB PC3200 which should be
    compatible. The question is why doesn't it work?

    , Jun 26, 2007
  7. - Bobb - Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > That's what I've got and it doesn't work. That is the origin of my
    > question. I've got 2 sticks of 1GB PC3200 which should be
    > compatible. The question is why doesn't it work?

    In my previous reply ( from HP site) and in the crucial link,
    (
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Presario SR1010V Series
    )
    they both mention
    PC 2-7-0-0 memory
    not PC 3-2-0-0

    So although the ebay guy said it would work , the HP box doesn't seem to
    recognize it at all, right ?
    go with PC2700

    search google for " pc2700 pc3200 " and you'll find lots of others having
    issues too.

    - Bobb -, Jun 27, 2007
  8. Ben Myers Guest

    As with earlier types of DIMM memory, there are both high density (not many
    chips per DIMM) and low density (lots of chips, usually 2x or 4x the number on a
    DIMM of comparable size). The porblem could be caused by use of high density
    PC3200 which the motherboard simply won't recognize. High density and low
    density DIMMs often have different timings.

    Just another spin on the problem... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 27, 2007
  9. HH Guest

    I thought you said you had Kingston RAM. The link is for Crucial.
    Crucial is guaranteed to work.

    HH

    HH, Jun 27, 2007
  10. quakeii Guest

    samsung
    SPEED: PC3200 (Backwards Compatible with PC2700, PC2100)

    only backwards mem will work like this dont go buy just any pc32oo it
    will not work and it will only alow you to put in up to 1gig of mem on
    this motherboard and that is 2 sticks of 512mb ram that make up the one
    gig it dont suport any more then that ,,
    here is some specs on that motherboard

    QUICK REFERENCE

    184Pin DIMM Module
    512mb MODULE
    DUAL CHANNEL READY

    GOLD PIN
    2.5 VOLT

    100% Backward compatible to PC2700 / PC2100

    Performance: PC3200
    DQ DQ Burst Frequency: 400MHz CL3 DDR

    MOTHERBOARD INFO
    Part/Feature Specifications/Supports
    Motherboard Description MIS name: MS-6577 M-ATX Rev. 3.1 (Giovani),
    Rev. 4.0 (Giovani2)

    Compaq name: Giovani-GL6, Giovani2-GL6
    CPU Socket 478 for Intel P4 Williamette and Northwood processors
    1.4GHZ to 2.8GHz or higher

    Intel 845GV Chipset FSB 400/533
    Multiplexed AGP interface
    Integrated 3D/2D graphic core
    Supports DDR 333/266/200 memory

    Intel ICH4 Chipset High speed USB 2.0 controller, 480Mb/sec
    PCI Master 2.2
    I/O APIC
    AC'97 2.2 interface
    Three UHCI host controllers
    One EHCI host controller

    Main Memory Two 184-pin DDR DIMM
    Maximum memory size is up to 2GB, 1GB per slot.
    READ THIS PART ITS IMPORTANT ((HP recommends a maximum memory of 1GB,
    512MB per slot.
    Supports PC2100 0r PC2700 unbuffered non-ECC))

    BUT I HAVE THE samsung PC3200 (Backwards Compatible with PC2700,
    PC2100)

    Slots Three 32-bit Master PCI (peripheral component interconnect) Bus
    slots
    Onboard IDE IDE HDD/CD-ROM operation modes:
    PIO
    Bus Master
    Ultra DMA 100/66
    Connect up to four IDE devices

    Onboard Peripherals Two PS/2 ports
    Six USB ports (four front, two rear)
    One Parallel port
    One Serial port
    One VGA
    One RJ-45 LAN port
    Vertical audio ports (line-in, line-out, microphone-in)

    Connectors Two IDE (ATA 100)
    One ATX power
    One Floppy
    One AUX-in
    One Mic-in

    Pinheaders One Front panel
    One Clear password
    One Clear CMOS

    Audio AC'97 link controller integrated in ICH4
    Six-channel software codec RealTek AL658 (optional)

    LAN RealTek RTL8101L chip
    Integrated Fast Ethernet MAC AND PHY (one chip)
    Supports 10 Mb/s and 100Mb/s
    Compliance with PCI V2.2
    Supports ACPI Power Management

    BIOS PnP (plug & play) to detect peripheral devices and expansion
    cards automatically.
    DMI (desktop management interface) function to record motherboard
    specifications.

    Dimension Micro-ATX form factor
    Mounting Six mounting holes

    HOPE THIS INFO HELPS SOME ONE