Random Freezing with homemade computer (amd athlon xp 2500+, Lanparty NFII Ultra MB, 1024 mb ram, 12

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Al Doti, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Al Doti

    Al Doti Guest

    I've had this computer that i built for about a year now, and it has
    never really worked. Here are the Specs....

    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.84 GHz
    LanParty NFII ULTRA Mother Board
    1024 MB DDR RAM
    120 Gig Western Digital Harddrive
    Radeon 9600 series video card.
    Windows XP Pro

    The system randomly freezes, whether it be in the start up screen, or
    after I've been on it for 20 minutes. Either way it is annoying and I
    was wondering if there was anyone else who is or was having this
    problem and/or could help me.

    Also when it freezes, it will let you open things, but the little icon
    in the top left corner of every window will go away (the thing that
    you click on a it says "close" "move" etc.) and then title at the top
    will bold.

    Any Help? Reply to this and/or send me an e-mail at
    . Thanks!

    Al Doti
    Al Doti, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Al Doti

    Mouse Guest

    Re: Random Freezing with homemade computer (amd athlon xp 2500+,Lanparty NFII Ultra MB, 1024 mb ram, 120 gig western digital hd, radeon 9600series)

    Hi,

    Few things I would check,
    1) make sure that all connections are absolutely solid, always good to
    check
    2) how about your PSU, is that one sufficient for your PC and
    pheripherals, is it a branded one with sufficient amounts of power
    delivered, or is it a crappy low power device in which case you might
    want to think about replacing it.
    3) it kind of sounds like you have a bit of a problem with windows, did
    you ever consider reinstalling the thing from scratch, see whether this
    behaviour is still there if not, then install your SW bit by bit and see
    which one is causing it, it might also be a driver or even a clash in
    interrupts to cards in combination with the drivers, which brings me to
    the case that you might want to swap some cards on your MB in location,
    as if sound-card and network-card are sharing the same intterrupt then
    you might already have problems (your MB manual can give you some more
    information on this) if you don't know exactly waht I am talking about
    then simpley swap location, mind you windows will need and want to
    reinstall the drivesr, just let it do so and take it from there.
    For a more detailed analysis I think you would need to give a more
    detailed description of the problem.

    Good luck,

    Mouse, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Al Doti

    Tom Guest

    As you say you can actually still open things when the system freezes
    I doubt its a hardware problem. If it were a hardware problem making
    it freeze you would not be able to do anything at all when it does.

    I would say this sounds more like a driver issue. Ensure you have the
    latest drivers for all your hardware, especially your graphics card.
    Also check for any problems listed in Device Manager with any device.

    It would also be worth performing a virus scan with an up-to-date
    anti-virus package, and also checking for ad-ware and spy-ware that
    could cause such situations. You can check for this by downloading
    Lavasoft Ad-aware from

    - Tom

    Tom, Jun 22, 2004