Re: 4 GB memory on standard Vista

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Tom Lake, Sep 30, 2008.

  1. Tom Lake

    Tom Lake Guest

    "ken tak" <> wrote in message
    > I brought an Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 GB memory with Vista Home
    > Premium. I just found out that Vista Home Premium (not 64 bit) could only
    > use 3 GB memory. Only the 64 bit versions are able to use 4 GB memory.
    > Why does Dell do this? Is there something I'm missing?

    Dell doesn't do it. The Binary number system does it.

    A 32-bit machine can address only 4 GB total (2 ^ 32).
    Hardware needs some address space to run. If you fill
    up the address space with 4 GB RAM, the hardware has
    to take some back to use. HP computers do it, Gateway
    computers do it and so do almost every other brand
    (Even Apple!)

    Think of a 4-quart jar. Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    put some rocks in the jar. Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts? Yup.
    Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope. The rocks take up some room.

    Is your computer's capacity 4 GB? Yup. Can you fill it all with RAM?
    Nope. The hardware takes some room.

    Tom Lake

    1. Advertising

  2. K2NNJ

    K2NNJ Guest

    You need 64-bit version of Vista. Same thing with Windows XP.

    "Tom Lake" <> wrote in message

    > "ken tak" <> wrote in message
    >> I brought an Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 GB memory with Vista Home
    >> Premium. I just found out that Vista Home Premium (not 64 bit) could only
    >> use 3 GB memory. Only the 64 bit versions are able to use 4 GB memory.
    >> Why does Dell do this? Is there something I'm missing?

    > Dell doesn't do it. The Binary number system does it.
    >
    > A 32-bit machine can address only 4 GB total (2 ^ 32).
    > Hardware needs some address space to run. If you fill
    > up the address space with 4 GB RAM, the hardware has
    > to take some back to use. HP computers do it, Gateway
    > computers do it and so do almost every other brand
    > (Even Apple!)
    >
    > Think of a 4-quart jar. Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    > put some rocks in the jar. Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts? Yup.
    > Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope. The rocks take up some room.
    >
    > Is your computer's capacity 4 GB? Yup. Can you fill it all with RAM?
    > Nope. The hardware takes some room.
    >
    > Tom Lake

    1. Advertising

  3. Tom Lake wrote:

    > "ken tak" <> wrote in message
    >> I brought an Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 GB memory with Vista Home
    >> Premium. I just found out that Vista Home Premium (not 64 bit) could
    >> only use 3 GB memory. Only the 64 bit versions are able to use 4 GB
    >> memory. Why does Dell do this? Is there something I'm missing?

    > Dell doesn't do it. The Binary number system does it.
    >
    > A 32-bit machine can address only 4 GB total (2 ^ 32).
    > Hardware needs some address space to run. If you fill
    > up the address space with 4 GB RAM, the hardware has
    > to take some back to use. HP computers do it, Gateway
    > computers do it and so do almost every other brand
    > (Even Apple!)
    >
    > Think of a 4-quart jar. Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    > put some rocks in the jar. Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts? Yup.
    > Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope. The rocks take up some room.
    >
    > Is your computer's capacity 4 GB? Yup. Can you fill it all with RAM?
    > Nope. The hardware takes some room.
    >
    > Tom Lake

    As I already said in the other post.

    I think he is asking, why is Dell selling a Laptop that is 32bit with 4
    Gigs of Memory?

  4. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Dan Sgambelluri" <> wrote in message
    > Tom Lake wrote:
    >>

    >> "ken tak" <> wrote in message
    >>> I brought an Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 GB memory with Vista Home
    >>> Premium. I just found out that Vista Home Premium (not 64 bit) could
    >>> only use 3 GB memory. Only the 64 bit versions are able to use 4 GB
    >>> memory. Why does Dell do this? Is there something I'm missing?

    >> Dell doesn't do it. The Binary number system does it.
    >>
    >> A 32-bit machine can address only 4 GB total (2 ^ 32).
    >> Hardware needs some address space to run. If you fill
    >> up the address space with 4 GB RAM, the hardware has
    >> to take some back to use. HP computers do it, Gateway
    >> computers do it and so do almost every other brand
    >> (Even Apple!)
    >>
    >> Think of a 4-quart jar. Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    >> put some rocks in the jar. Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts? Yup.
    >> Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope. The rocks take up some room.
    >>
    >> Is your computer's capacity 4 GB? Yup. Can you fill it all with RAM?
    >> Nope. The hardware takes some room.
    >>
    >> Tom Lake
    >>

    > As I already said in the other post.
    >
    > I think he is asking, why is Dell selling a Laptop that is 32bit with 4
    > Gigs of Memory?

    It's like a spare tire. If any of the RAM goes bad, he can just revert to a
    perfectly reasonable 2gb w/o missing a beat......

  5. Bob Levine

    Bob Levine Guest

    K2NNJ wrote:
    > You need 64-bit version of Vista. Same thing with Windows XP.

    Vista gets my vote here.

    Bob

  6. On Sep 30, 8:32 pm, "S.Lewis" <> wrote:
    > "Dan Sgambelluri" <> wrote in message

    > > Tom Lake wrote:

    > >> "ken tak" <> wrote in message

    > >> Dell doesn't do it.  The Binary number system does it.

    > >> A 32-bit machine can address only 4 GB total (2 ^ 32).
    > >> Hardware needs some address space to run.  If you fill
    > >> up the address space with 4 GB RAM, the hardware has
    > >> to take some back to use.  HP computers do it, Gateway
    > >> computers do it and so do almost every other brand
    > >> (Even Apple!)

    > >> Think of a 4-quart jar.  Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    > >> put some rocks in the jar.  Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts?  Yup.
    > >> Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope.  The rocks take up some room.

    > >> Is your computer's capacity 4 GB?  Yup.  Can you fill it all with RAM?
    > >> Nope.  The hardware takes some room.

    > >> Tom Lake

    > > As I already said in the other post.

    > > I think he is asking, why is Dell selling a Laptop that is 32bit with 4
    > > Gigs of Memory?

    > It's like a spare tire.  If any of the RAM goes bad, he can just revertto a
    > perfectly reasonable 2gb w/o missing a beat......

    Of course, But it is in a way false advertising though as they
    saying it has 4 Gigs when it really only has 2 Gigs

  7. S.Lewis

    On Sep 30, 8:32 pm, "S.Lewis" <> wrote:
    > "Dan Sgambelluri" <> wrote in message

    > > Tom Lake wrote:

    > >> "ken tak" <> wrote in message

    > >> Dell doesn't do it. The Binary number system does it.

    > >> A 32-bit machine can address only 4 GB total (2 ^ 32).
    > >> Hardware needs some address space to run. If you fill
    > >> up the address space with 4 GB RAM, the hardware has
    > >> to take some back to use. HP computers do it, Gateway
    > >> computers do it and so do almost every other brand
    > >> (Even Apple!)

    > >> Think of a 4-quart jar. Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    > >> put some rocks in the jar. Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts? Yup.
    > >> Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope. The rocks take up some room.

    > >> Is your computer's capacity 4 GB? Yup. Can you fill it all with RAM?
    > >> Nope. The hardware takes some room.

    > >> Tom Lake

    > > As I already said in the other post.

    > > I think he is asking, why is Dell selling a Laptop that is 32bit with 4
    > > Gigs of Memory?

    > It's like a spare tire. If any of the RAM goes bad, he can just revert to
    > perfectly reasonable 2gb w/o missing a beat......

    Of course, But it is in a way false advertising though as they
    saying it has 4 Gigs when it really only has 2 Gigs

    3.12GBs, I think. Look at it this way, if he ever goes XP/Vista 64-bit,
    he's ready.

  8. S.Lewis wrote:
    > "Dan Sgambelluri" <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 30, 8:32 pm, "S.Lewis" <> wrote:
    >> "Dan Sgambelluri" <> wrote in message

    >>> As I already said in the other post.
    >>> I think he is asking, why is Dell selling a Laptop that is 32bit with 4
    >>> Gigs of Memory?

    >> It's like a spare tire. If any of the RAM goes bad, he can just revert to
    >> perfectly reasonable 2gb w/o missing a beat......

    > Of course, But it is in a way false advertising though as they
    > saying it has 4 Gigs when it really only has 2 Gigs
    >

    > 3.12GBs, I think. Look at it this way, if he ever goes XP/Vista 64-bit,
    > he's ready.

    yep

  9. K2NNJ

    K2NNJ Guest

    Oh. I think he would just have to ask for a 64-bit OS.

    > Tom Lake wrote:
    >>

    >> "ken tak" <> wrote in message
    >>> I brought an Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 GB memory with Vista Home
    >>> Premium. I just found out that Vista Home Premium (not 64 bit) could
    >>> only use 3 GB memory. Only the 64 bit versions are able to use 4 GB
    >>> memory. Why does Dell do this? Is there something I'm missing?

    >> Dell doesn't do it. The Binary number system does it.
    >>
    >> A 32-bit machine can address only 4 GB total (2 ^ 32).
    >> Hardware needs some address space to run. If you fill
    >> up the address space with 4 GB RAM, the hardware has
    >> to take some back to use. HP computers do it, Gateway
    >> computers do it and so do almost every other brand
    >> (Even Apple!)
    >>
    >> Think of a 4-quart jar. Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    >> put some rocks in the jar. Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts? Yup.
    >> Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope. The rocks take up some room.
    >>
    >> Is your computer's capacity 4 GB? Yup. Can you fill it all with RAM?
    >> Nope. The hardware takes some room.
    >>
    >> Tom Lake
    >>

    > As I already said in the other post.
    >
    > I think he is asking, why is Dell selling a Laptop that is 32bit with 4
    > Gigs of Memory?

  10. K2NNJ

    K2NNJ Guest

    I have Windows XP Pro SP3 with 4GB memory. If you open Task Manager, and
    look at Physical Memory it says 3668060, which is pretty close to 4GB.

    "S.Lewis" <> wrote in message

    > "Dan Sgambelluri" <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 30, 8:32 pm, "S.Lewis" <> wrote:
    >> "Dan Sgambelluri" <> wrote in message

    >> > As I already said in the other post.

    >> > I think he is asking, why is Dell selling a Laptop that is 32bit with 4
    >> > Gigs of Memory?

    >> It's like a spare tire. If any of the RAM goes bad, he can just revert to
    >> perfectly reasonable 2gb w/o missing a beat......

    > Of course, But it is in a way false advertising though as they
    > saying it has 4 Gigs when it really only has 2 Gigs
    >

    > 3.12GBs, I think. Look at it this way, if he ever goes XP/Vista 64-bit,
    > he's ready.

  11. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    Tom Lake wrote:

    > "ken tak" <> wrote in message
    >> I brought an Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 GB memory with Vista Home
    >> Premium. I just found out that Vista Home Premium (not 64 bit) could
    >> only use 3 GB memory. Only the 64 bit versions are able to use 4 GB
    >> memory. Why does Dell do this? Is there something I'm missing?

    > Dell doesn't do it. The Binary number system does it.
    >
    > A 32-bit machine can address only 4 GB total (2 ^ 32).
    > Hardware needs some address space to run. If you fill
    > up the address space with 4 GB RAM, the hardware has
    > to take some back to use. HP computers do it, Gateway
    > computers do it and so do almost every other brand
    > (Even Apple!)
    >
    > Think of a 4-quart jar. Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    > put some rocks in the jar. Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts? Yup.
    > Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope. The rocks take up some room.
    >
    > Is your computer's capacity 4 GB? Yup. Can you fill it all with RAM?
    > Nope. The hardware takes some room.
    >
    > Tom Lake

    Video shared memory?

    --
    Steve W.

  12. Tom Lake

    Tom Lake Guest

    >> Think of a 4-quart jar. Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    >> put some rocks in the jar. Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts? Yup.
    >> Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope. The rocks take up some room.
    >>
    >> Is your computer's capacity 4 GB? Yup. Can you fill it all with RAM?
    >> Nope. The hardware takes some room.
    >>
    >> Tom Lake
    >>

    > Video shared memory?

    Could be. Any PCI slots, bridge chips, network adapter,
    you name it. Most hardware needs some address space.

    Tom Lake