Re: 4 GB memory on standard Vista

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Tom Lake, Sep 30, 2008.

  1. Tom Lake

    Tom Lake Guest

    "ken tak" <> wrote in message
    > I brought an Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 GB memory with Vista Home
    > Premium. I just found out that Vista Home Premium (not 64 bit) could only
    > use 3 GB memory. Only the 64 bit versions are able to use 4 GB memory.
    > Why does Dell do this? Is there something I'm missing?

    Dell doesn't do it. The Binary number system does it.

    A 32-bit machine can address only 4 GB total (2 ^ 32).
    Hardware needs some address space to run. If you fill
    up the address space with 4 GB RAM, the hardware has
    to take some back to use. HP computers do it, Gateway
    computers do it and so do almost every other brand
    (Even Apple!)

    Think of a 4-quart jar. Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    put some rocks in the jar. Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts? Yup.
    Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope. The rocks take up some room.

    Is your computer's capacity 4 GB? Yup. Can you fill it all with RAM?
    Nope. The hardware takes some room.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Sep 30, 2008

  2. Tom Lake

    K2NNJ Guest

    You need 64-bit version of Vista. Same thing with Windows XP.

    K2NNJ, Oct 1, 2008

  3. Tom Lake wrote:

    > "ken tak" <> wrote in message
    >> I brought an Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 GB memory with Vista Home
    >> Premium. I just found out that Vista Home Premium (not 64 bit) could
    >> only use 3 GB memory. Only the 64 bit versions are able to use 4 GB
    >> memory. Why does Dell do this? Is there something I'm missing?

    > Dell doesn't do it. The Binary number system does it.
    >
    > A 32-bit machine can address only 4 GB total (2 ^ 32).
    > Hardware needs some address space to run. If you fill
    > up the address space with 4 GB RAM, the hardware has
    > to take some back to use. HP computers do it, Gateway
    > computers do it and so do almost every other brand
    > (Even Apple!)
    >
    > Think of a 4-quart jar. Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    > put some rocks in the jar. Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts? Yup.
    > Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope. The rocks take up some room.
    >
    > Is your computer's capacity 4 GB? Yup. Can you fill it all with RAM?
    > Nope. The hardware takes some room.
    >
    > Tom Lake

    As I already said in the other post.

    I think he is asking, why is Dell selling a Laptop that is 32bit with 4
    Gigs of Memory?

    Dan Sgambelluri, Oct 1, 2008
  4. Tom Lake

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Dan Sgambelluri" <> wrote in message
    > Tom Lake wrote:
    >>

    >> "ken tak" <> wrote in message
    >>> I brought an Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 GB memory with Vista Home
    >>> Premium. I just found out that Vista Home Premium (not 64 bit) could
    >>> only use 3 GB memory. Only the 64 bit versions are able to use 4 GB
    >>> memory. Why does Dell do this? Is there something I'm missing?

    >> Dell doesn't do it. The Binary number system does it.
    >>
    >> A 32-bit machine can address only 4 GB total (2 ^ 32).
    >> Hardware needs some address space to run. If you fill
    >> up the address space with 4 GB RAM, the hardware has
    >> to take some back to use. HP computers do it, Gateway
    >> computers do it and so do almost every other brand
    >> (Even Apple!)
    >>
    >> Think of a 4-quart jar. Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    >> put some rocks in the jar. Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts? Yup.
    >> Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope. The rocks take up some room.
    >>
    >> Is your computer's capacity 4 GB? Yup. Can you fill it all with RAM?
    >> Nope. The hardware takes some room.
    >>
    >> Tom Lake
    >>

    > As I already said in the other post.
    >
    > I think he is asking, why is Dell selling a Laptop that is 32bit with 4
    > Gigs of Memory?

    It's like a spare tire. If any of the RAM goes bad, he can just revert to a
    perfectly reasonable 2gb w/o missing a beat......

    S.Lewis, Oct 1, 2008
  5. Tom Lake

    Bob Levine Guest

    K2NNJ wrote:
    > You need 64-bit version of Vista. Same thing with Windows XP.

    Vista gets my vote here.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Oct 1, 2008
  6. On Sep 30, 8:32 pm, "S.Lewis" <> wrote:
    > "Dan Sgambelluri" <> wrote in message

    > > Tom Lake wrote:

    > >> "ken tak" <> wrote in message

    > >> Dell doesn't do it.  The Binary number system does it.

    > >> A 32-bit machine can address only 4 GB total (2 ^ 32).
    > >> Hardware needs some address space to run.  If you fill
    > >> up the address space with 4 GB RAM, the hardware has
    > >> to take some back to use.  HP computers do it, Gateway
    > >> computers do it and so do almost every other brand
    > >> (Even Apple!)

    > >> Think of a 4-quart jar.  Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    > >> put some rocks in the jar.  Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts?  Yup.
    > >> Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope.  The rocks take up some room.

    > >> Is your computer's capacity 4 GB?  Yup.  Can you fill it all with RAM?
    > >> Nope.  The hardware takes some room.

    > >> Tom Lake

    > > As I already said in the other post.

    > > I think he is asking, why is Dell selling a Laptop that is 32bit with 4
    > > Gigs of Memory?

    > It's like a spare tire.  If any of the RAM goes bad, he can just revertto a
    > perfectly reasonable 2gb w/o missing a beat......

    Of course, But it is in a way false advertising though as they
    saying it has 4 Gigs when it really only has 2 Gigs

    Dan Sgambelluri, Oct 1, 2008
  7. Tom Lake

    On Sep 30, 8:32 pm, "S.Lewis" <> wrote:
    > "Dan Sgambelluri" <> wrote in message

    > > Tom Lake wrote:

    > >> "ken tak" <> wrote in message

    > >> Dell doesn't do it. The Binary number system does it.

    > >> A 32-bit machine can address only 4 GB total (2 ^ 32).
    > >> Hardware needs some address space to run. If you fill
    > >> up the address space with 4 GB RAM, the hardware has
    > >> to take some back to use. HP computers do it, Gateway
    > >> computers do it and so do almost every other brand
    > >> (Even Apple!)

    > >> Think of a 4-quart jar. Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    > >> put some rocks in the jar. Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts? Yup.
    > >> Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope. The rocks take up some room.

    > >> Is your computer's capacity 4 GB? Yup. Can you fill it all with RAM?
    > >> Nope. The hardware takes some room.

    > >> Tom Lake

    > > As I already said in the other post.

    > > I think he is asking, why is Dell selling a Laptop that is 32bit with 4
    > > Gigs of Memory?

    > It's like a spare tire. If any of the RAM goes bad, he can just revert to
    > perfectly reasonable 2gb w/o missing a beat......

    Of course, But it is in a way false advertising though as they
    saying it has 4 Gigs when it really only has 2 Gigs

    3.12GBs, I think. Look at it this way, if he ever goes XP/Vista 64-bit,
    he's ready.

    S.Lewis, Oct 1, 2008
  8. S.Lewis wrote:
    > "Dan Sgambelluri" <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 30, 8:32 pm, "S.Lewis" <> wrote:
    >> "Dan Sgambelluri" <> wrote in message

    >>> As I already said in the other post.
    >>> I think he is asking, why is Dell selling a Laptop that is 32bit with 4
    >>> Gigs of Memory?

    >> It's like a spare tire. If any of the RAM goes bad, he can just revert to
    >> perfectly reasonable 2gb w/o missing a beat......

    > Of course, But it is in a way false advertising though as they
    > saying it has 4 Gigs when it really only has 2 Gigs
    >

    > 3.12GBs, I think. Look at it this way, if he ever goes XP/Vista 64-bit,
    > he's ready.

    yep

    Dan Sgambelluri, Oct 1, 2008
  9. Tom Lake

    K2NNJ Guest

    Oh. I think he would just have to ask for a 64-bit OS.

    K2NNJ, Oct 1, 2008
  10. Tom Lake

    K2NNJ Guest

    I have Windows XP Pro SP3 with 4GB memory. If you open Task Manager, and
    look at Physical Memory it says 3668060, which is pretty close to 4GB.

    K2NNJ, Oct 1, 2008
  11. Tom Lake

    Steve W. Guest

    Tom Lake wrote:

    > "ken tak" <> wrote in message
    >> I brought an Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 GB memory with Vista Home
    >> Premium. I just found out that Vista Home Premium (not 64 bit) could
    >> only use 3 GB memory. Only the 64 bit versions are able to use 4 GB
    >> memory. Why does Dell do this? Is there something I'm missing?

    > Dell doesn't do it. The Binary number system does it.
    >
    > A 32-bit machine can address only 4 GB total (2 ^ 32).
    > Hardware needs some address space to run. If you fill
    > up the address space with 4 GB RAM, the hardware has
    > to take some back to use. HP computers do it, Gateway
    > computers do it and so do almost every other brand
    > (Even Apple!)
    >
    > Think of a 4-quart jar. Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    > put some rocks in the jar. Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts? Yup.
    > Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope. The rocks take up some room.
    >
    > Is your computer's capacity 4 GB? Yup. Can you fill it all with RAM?
    > Nope. The hardware takes some room.
    >
    > Tom Lake

    Video shared memory?

    --
    Steve W.

    Steve W., Oct 1, 2008
  12. Tom Lake

    Tom Lake Guest

    >> Think of a 4-quart jar. Now think of hardware as being rocks.
    >> put some rocks in the jar. Is the jar's capacity 4 quarts? Yup.
    >> Can it hold 4 quarts of water? Nope. The rocks take up some room.
    >>
    >> Is your computer's capacity 4 GB? Yup. Can you fill it all with RAM?
    >> Nope. The hardware takes some room.
    >>
    >> Tom Lake
    >>

    > Video shared memory?

    Could be. Any PCI slots, bridge chips, network adapter,
    you name it. Most hardware needs some address space.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Oct 1, 2008