Re: 8200 upgrade

Discussion in 'Dell' started by WSZsr, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. WSZsr

    WSZsr Guest

    I have the Dell 8200 and an ATI 8500DV. When I first got the 8500DV about
    six months ago, the drivers and software from ATI were very problematic.
    Last week I downloaded the latest drivers/software for it from the ATI
    website and it works great.

    I would suggest a format and clean install of XP. Then download the latest
    drivers/software from ATI. It seems to solve all of the problems. I do not
    recommend *any* of the Intel software. XP with SP1 problems all the support
    you need for the 8200.

    "Chad903" <> wrote in message

    > Stew, I have a 8200 , I bought a ATI all in one 8500DV about 6 months
    > ago and I have never had it configured right yet, I have asked ATI and
    > at their suggestion I downloaded the "latest" Intel chip set update
    > and ATI's latest ATI driver package, I still have fonts smearing all
    > over my screen, can you or anyone give me a direction, I am 62 and not
    > the quickest guy on the planet but this has gone on a little over 6
    > months with no positive results. I have searched for the brand of the
    > mother board so I might update the BIOS for AGP if I can, but I can't
    > find not one thing about the brand of main board I have in this Dell
    > 8200, as I read your response I am assuming it is a Dell named board
    > so I am still lost. Honest I am worn out with the ATI thing, I have
    > installed the newest drivers at ATI today and did this in the VGA
    > mode, I have WindowsXP Home edition, I need help bad on this and I
    > suppose what I am asking is how to get the ATI all in one to stop with
    > all the smearing so I can simply use my computer. This is what I
    > updated today:
    >

    > In the VGA Mode:
    >
    > From Intel: iaa23_enu.exe (installed)
    > From Intel: infinst.enu.exe (installed)
    > From ATI: wxp-w2k-catalyst-7-90-030605m-009437c-efg.exe
    >
    > Thanks in advance...Marv
    > ....... remove the nospam
    >

    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:00:59 -0500, "S.Lewis" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >You'd have to replace the entire board with another Dell board - not very
    > >practical.
    > >
    > >If it were mine - max out the RAM, keep the video card updated, and then

    get
    > >the 2.6/400 cpu as the prices come down.
    > >
    > >The machine will be faster than what you're seeing now, and still plenty
    > >fast - period.
    > >
    > >Hell, Mike, it's not like it's *slow* right now. I'm posting this from a
    > >PIII 1GHz w/256mb of 'screaming fast' PC133 SDRAM....
    > >
    > >Stew
    > >
    > >"mike dziatkowicz" <> wrote in message
    > >> can i change the chipset or would i have to buy a whole new board and

    what
    > >> boards will fit into the 8200 case? I'm looking at a cheap way to maybe

    > >next
    > >> winter or spring upgrade my computer so i don't have to buy a new one

    for
    > >3
    > >> or 4 more years or am I just gonna be better off buying a new top of

    the
    > >> line machine (that's why i bought this thing it was top of the line at

    the
    > >> time but alas i forgot that rdram was very expensive and that windows

    > >wants
    > >> to eat up as much ram as possible thus making my computer slow as a

    > >turtle).
    > >> "S.Lewis" <> wrote in message

    assume

    > >> DIM8200,

    can
    > >> only

    saving

    thing
    > >> that

    > >downward

    > >heatsink

    sure,
    > >> as

    *only*

    > >going

    > >have?

    and
    > >> the

    spring
    > >> that

    of
    > >the

    > >> Intel's)

    find
    > >> the

    chip

    > >> number.

    > >> 2.53Ghz

    just
    > >for

    > >> 82850/82850e
    > >> doesn't

    this

    > >http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/chipsetid.htm

    > >utility

    Intel

    WSZsr, Jul 11, 2003

  2. WSZsr

    Tom Scales Guest

    I tend to agree with this advice, drastic as it is. Be sure to back up
    everything first.

    I suspect you just have remnants of bad stuff out there. Clean install with
    fresh drivers and I'll bet it will be great. It's a fine card!

    Tom
    "WSZsr" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > > From Intel: infinst.enu.exe (installed)
    > > From ATI: wxp-w2k-catalyst-7-90-030605m-009437c-efg.exe
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance...Marv
    > > ....... remove the nospam
    > >

    > > On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:00:59 -0500, "S.Lewis" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > > >You'd have to replace the entire board with another Dell board - not

    very
    > > >practical.
    > > >
    > > >If it were mine - max out the RAM, keep the video card updated, and

    then
    > get
    > > >the 2.6/400 cpu as the prices come down.
    > > >
    > > >The machine will be faster than what you're seeing now, and still

    plenty
    > > >fast - period.
    > > >
    > > >Hell, Mike, it's not like it's *slow* right now. I'm posting this from

    > > >PIII 1GHz w/256mb of 'screaming fast' PC133 SDRAM....

    in

    > find

    > chip

    part

    > just
    > > >for

    message

    Tom Scales, Jul 12, 2003

  3. WSZsr

    Chad903 Guest

    Thanks Tom, I have tried the way ATI explained to do the install but
    the frigging hardware wizard will not give me a chance to install the
    new driver, is there anyway to stop the wizard long enough for me to
    at least get the new driver installed? Also what do you mean by
    "clean install"? I am a bit lost....as I said I am so worn out with
    this All in one ATI card and this is the exact problem I have on my
    backup computer when I put this card in it, both computers support
    AGP, after I have said this I am beginning to think maybe the card has
    a problem...I just got a response back from ATI and it is the same old
    same old of giving me page after page of reading on their site about
    problems that can occur when installing this card, I have read and
    reread these so many times and to have no support from ATI or any
    specific thing to check is the exact message I got some 6 months
    back. The only reason I keep on trying is I need the card so I can
    capture from my VCR and no other reason...I would love to stomp the
    thing until I felt better after 6 long months of nothing but trouble,
    I am just sick of this can't see my screen except though smears and
    smudges, sorry but I am very tired of begging and researching ATI over
    and over, there should be a live person who I could talk to from ATI
    and that will not happen unless you pay someone to tell you that a
    firewall must be installed causing the problem etc....again thanks Tom
    for the help but it tells me nothing that I can understand with my
    limited knowledge on graphic and drivers and winXP......

    Chad903, Jul 12, 2003