Re: AGP bridge chip temps. Was: Re: 7900 GS AGP Power requirements

Discussion in 'ATI' started by William R. Walsh, Jun 30, 2009.

  1. Hi!

    > I have a Sapphire AGP ATI HD3650 and the bridge chip gets way too
    > hot to hold a finger on for more than a second, even idling at Windows
    > desktop.

    As does the bridge IC on my ATI provided Radeon X1300 AGP card. It too has a
    pad on the IC. I'm not sure of the pad's function--it can't really be
    helping the IC shed heat.

    The card has run reliably 24/7 for a few years now. Some ICs can run hot and
    be fine, maybe this is one of them.

    I can't see the temperature of the bridge IC changing a lot based on
    workload. It's always doing about the same thing--forwarding and translating
    information between GPU and system.

    Then again, I've seen more AGP and PCI Express video card failures from heat
    than anything else. I still have PCI, ISA and even Microchannel video
    adapters that just keep right on working and don't heat up as though they
    were using power sufficient to run a small town. Since I don't get into
    gaming, the performance of these old adapters is in many cases more than
    sufficient.

    William