Re: ak73 pro(a)

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Mike, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Great! Well not great but the exact same thing happens to me.

    One day I fired up my machine and it started making high pitch whine.
    Then the Dr. Voice said "your CPU may have a problem"
    Then my CD-RW ejected it's tray.
    I held in the power button to it shut down.
    I waited about 30secs and It works

    I thought it was the powersupply because the high pitched whine sounds
    like when you short out a switching supply. I've done it before
    "playing" with other supplies, the magnetics elements make that noise.

    New power supply? Nope new one does same thing.

    It seems to be getting worse now it takes 5 or six tries.
    Now the "static" noise comes from the internal speaker on the first try.
    On the Aopen site I heard of a guy who ESD'd his processor while
    cleaning it and the same "static" noise occured.
    It gets a bit better each time.

    This was months ago. I just don't shut off my machine.

    Today I decided to take everything off the board 'cept
    the processor and reset bios.
    Powered up, it beeped, asking for memory.
    Put memory back in and powerd up. Dr.Voice it asked for AGP.
    I put in the AGP and this time I got the noise and then Dr. Voice with
    the CPU problem.
    I also noticed that the fan on my new GeForce FX5200 card wasn't turning.

    I powered up again and the fan turned very slowly and the system came up
    to where it starts booting and then the fan started full force and was
    wuffing out air properly.

    I then put in an old old8Meg AGP card no problem at all.
    Put the new GeForce in and the problen happend again.

    I think the power regulation/control can't handle the current of newer
    AGP cards. Age and wear must also come into play because my old 64 Meg
    card that I got with this Mobo worked fine until a few monthes ago and
    the new chaintech doesn't help.

    I just found out something new.
    I put the system on standby and as hard disk powered down that high
    pitched noise came back!
    The system recovered fine. Could the ACPI be the problem?
    I occasionally put my machine on standby and now this is the first time
    this has happened.

    I'm not sure about the cause. I used to think the AGP "inrush current"
    held some voltages to low for some of the devices on the board and the
    system came up in some unknown state that cause the CPU dr. Voice thing.

    Now I think that whatever makes up the ACPI(Advanced Configuration &
    Power Interface) if messed up and is getting worse.
    I think you are on to something with the heat thing.
    I know that MOSfets increase resistance as the silicon heats up.
    Without detailed knowledge about this board's ACPI implementation I
    think we are SOL........

    holie crap long post...........

    Any thoughts on this madness?

    I have:
    AK73 Pro(A) Serial #10969482KN51 bought in May, 2001
    AMD Duron 900
    384 133Mhz 1x256 1x128 SDRAM
    Chaintech GeForce FX5200 128Meg
    Lite-on CD-RW LTR-16102C
    WIN XP
    250Watt PSupply

    one more thing:
    my floppy controller doesn't work either.
    no combination of cables and floppy drives will work
    I think that has failed on this mobo too :(

    -Mike
    Seriously cosidering avoiding AOPEN in the future

    Mike, Oct 4, 2003

  2. One thing i would look at is whether or not this board has the
    infamous "leaky caps". Look in particular at the ones around the CPU.
    I have seen two AK73pro(a) boards that have done this and exhibited
    some of the same exact symptoms. It may be time to get another board
    or see if you can replace them.

    NoneOfBusiness, Nov 10, 2003