Re: Any ideas why my new RAM won't work?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaster, Sep 7, 2008.

  1. jaster

    jaster Guest

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:05:38 -0400, kony thoughfully wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:43:02 GMT,
    > (David) wrote:
    >
    >>>It might help if you told us the motherboard make, model, or at least
    >>>the northbridge chipset it uses, and what processor you have installed
    >>>since that effects whether you actually need PC133 or could use PC100.
    >>>
    >>>Generally low density PC133 memory is rare these days, most is labeled
    >>>PC100 even if it could do 133MHz to strangely denote compatibility with
    >>>the typical systems that need low density memory because most were only
    >>>using up to 100MHz memory bus speed.
    >>>
    >>>What make and model of memory is this? Can you tell if there are
    >>>original memory chip manufacturer's chip codes on the individual chips
    >>>themselves, and if so then posting what those are might help someone
    >>>determine more about the memory.

    >>Thanks again for the comments. (Btw, the whole lost cost me about 30 GBP
    >>/ 605 USD, but I'm not too uptight about the cost - put it this way,
    >>I've invested and wasted much more in PC matters in the past!)
    >>
    >>I am a complete layman at this, so talk of (eg) northbridge is a bit
    >>technical for me! I'm not even 100% sure what is meant by chip. If you
    >>mean those black blocks, then they all have 8, just on one side. I don't
    >>think I've ever (personally) come across any ram module that wasn't, so
    >>that's news to me too.
    >>
    >>I've hunted for the type (Kingston KTD-DM133) on the net, but again, not
    >>one reference mentioned the density.
    >>
    >>As for the motherboard, my little (not-as-reliable-now-as-I-thought)
    >>program says it is:-
    >>
    >>Intel SE440BX-2
    >>Version AA720940-208
    >>Serial GTS285050866
    >>
    >>As I said earlier though, the online manual for SE440BX-2 did not
    >>mention density (as far as I could see anyway).
    >>
    >>David

    > Your memory is higher density than your motherboard, with Intel 440BX
    > chipset, supports. It will accept up to 256MB per slot and 768MB total
    > with 3 slots.
    >
    > Since your motherboard does not support 133MHz memory bus, you do not
    > need PC133 memory and should buy PC100 instead. While some PC133 memory
    > will work, becauses there was a brief period when most PC133 was low
    > density, today the low density PC133 memory is rare and no less
    > expensive than the PC100 low density type.
    >
    > As mentioned previously, practically all reputable sellers now most
    > frequently use the term PC100 to denote the lower density that your
    > system needs. It will cost nearly twice as much because being lower
    > density it uses twice the number of chips to achieve 256MB.
    >
    > I suggest you seek a refund for this memory if possible and consider
    > whether it is worth the cost to upgrade the memory when the money can be
    > put towards replacement. At this point the system is about 10 years old
    > and while your SE440BX motherboard was very good quality for it's time,
    > nothing lasts forever. At this point you may find parts like the power
> [...]

    Wasn't that what I said???

    The OP should open a Return Merchandise Ticket with Kingston Memory
    support to exchange the PC133 for PC100. Their memory is guaranteed and
    they should be able to provide working PC100 256 memory if he specifies
    the correct motherboard manufacturer and model (SE440BX-2).

    jaster, Sep 7, 2008