    my experience using one for over a year, I would think they should open
    up a number of engineering possibilities over generic laptops

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Jul 7, 2008

  2. For the non VT'rs out there, here's the requirement page;

    <http://www.eng.vt.edu/academics/comp_require.php>

    >> Is it being effectively incorporated into your classes? <<

    Really be interested in this information as well... it's ironic when the
    tech teachers end up being the boat anchors in the system.

    fwiw, it would be great if the users of this forum could help in this
    implimentation. There are several other web based tablet forums out
    there as well.

    Can you tell I'm sold on the advantages of a table? ;-)

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Jul 7, 2008

  3. This statement on the requirements page is especially interesting;

    * Vista Statement: The College of Engineering is strongly advising its
    students to continue to use Windows XP Tablet Edition 2005 as their
    primary operating system. Windows Vista continues to have performance
    and compatibility issues that make it more difficult to use and support.
    These are not issues isolated to the Virginia Tech campus and are
    known throughout the information technology industry. If you have
    purchased a machine preinstalled with a different version of Windows,

    !!!
    you may obtain a copy (included as part of the Engineering Software
    Bundle) of Windows XP Tablet Edition 2005 or Windows Vista Enterprise
    Edition as part of the Engineering Software Bundle...
    !!!

    ....from Software Distribution located at 3220 Torgersen Hall, or via the
    software download server at http://network.software.vt.edu.
    <<

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Jul 7, 2008
  4. Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

    Tom K Guest

    From Chatham College for Women, Pittsburgh, PA...

    "As part of a new undergraduate program, begun in the 2005-2006 academic
    year, all incoming first-year students will receive a new HP Compaq tc 4200
    Tablet PC. Use of the tablet will be integrated into the curriculum and
    enable the students to access the Chatham network via Wi-Fi areas throughout
    campus."

    (I'm guessing they update the model periodically.)

    Tom

    message news:%...

    Tom K, Jul 7, 2008
  5. Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

    CompEngineer Guest

    I'm a Virginia Tech student.
    In the Computer Engineering department.

    The whole "buying Tablet PC" thing is a shameful act by the Virginia Tech
    administration. Forcing students to buy expensive useless Tablet PCs for
    absolutely no purpose.

    What am I going to do with a Tablet PC? I have one, it was 2000$ and yet I
    could get something faster right now for 1000$ (non-Tablet). ASUS offers some
    nice laptops but because Virginia Tech shamefully has made deals with certain
    companies...

    VT students have a couple options:
    Fujit$u - 2000$-2800$
    To$hiba - 2000$~
    Gateway - 1800$~

    This is quite absurd requirement. They also force you to buy a limited
    Warranty, for damage to your computer. The funny part is, if you have some
    sort of hardware malfunction Fujitsu REQUIRES you to send in the laptop for
    check-up, in which case they may not even spot the problem and send it back.

    So they (fujitsu) don't actually replace the laptop unless someone took an
    axe to it.

    Virginia Tech needs to take off the Tablet PC requirement, it's pointless,
    students never use their tablets anyway because they hate it.

    Why would students want to write with a tablet Pen, when they can type TWICE
    AS FAST?????

    The funny part is, teachers don't like it either. Now if someone sends in a
    "tablet pc written assignment" they struggle to read the handwriting. It's
    completely awful.

    If they want to make some sort of Tablet Requirements, they should make it
    for teachers, because they make use of the Tablet very nicely. But students
    should not even be allowed to use Tablet PCs, they are boring, worthless,
    expensive, and harder to write (than to type).

    Can you imagine a teacher telling a student "Honey, you need to have a
    Tablet PC with you" --- "but I can't afford it... " --- "Yes but you may
    fail assignments that require a Tablet PC!" <------- THIS WAS AN ACTUAL
    VIRGINIA TECH CONVERSATION.

    CompEngineer, Jul 31, 2008
  6. Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

    Steve Jain Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:41:01 -0700, CompEngineer
    <> wrote:

    >I'm a Virginia Tech student.
    >In the Computer Engineering department.
    >
    >The whole "buying Tablet PC" thing is a shameful act by the Virginia Tech
    >administration. Forcing students to buy expensive useless Tablet PCs for
    >absolutely no purpose.

    Useless? I found it was a great tool for all my engineering classes.
    One tablet, all my class notes on one device. Multiple colors for
    drawing graphs, the ability to import class PDFs into OneNote and add
    my notes and not have to carry around 3-ring binders full of printed
    notes.

    >What am I going to do with a Tablet PC? I have one, it was 2000$ and yet I
    >could get something faster right now for 1000$ (non-Tablet). ASUS offers some
    >nice laptops but because Virginia Tech shamefully has made deals with certain
    >companies...
    >
    >VT students have a couple options:
    >Fujit$u - 2000$-2800$
    >To$hiba - 2000$~
    >Gateway - 1800$~
    >
    >This is quite absurd requirement. They also force you to buy a limited
    >Warranty, for damage to your computer. The funny part is, if you have some
    >sort of hardware malfunction Fujitsu REQUIRES you to send in the laptop for
    >check-up, in which case they may not even spot the problem and send it back.
    >
    >So they (fujitsu) don't actually replace the laptop unless someone took an
    >axe to it.
    >
    >Virginia Tech needs to take off the Tablet PC requirement, it's pointless,
    >students never use their tablets anyway because they hate it.

    Maybe you need to change to a non-computer major then?

    >Why would students want to write with a tablet Pen, when they can type TWICE
    >AS FAST?????

    How do you type out a complex equation (differential, integral, etc)
    or formula, diagram, an example circuit, waveform, system, etc?

    >The funny part is, teachers don't like it either. Now if someone sends in a
    >"tablet pc written assignment" they struggle to read the handwriting. It's
    >completely awful.

    So why not just force the students to type up assignments?
    All the professors I know that had them loved them, pop out the red
    pen and write directly on the document and then email it back to a
    student.

    >If they want to make some sort of Tablet Requirements, they should make it
    >for teachers, because they make use of the Tablet very nicely. But students
    >should not even be allowed to use Tablet PCs, they are boring, worthless,
    >expensive, and harder to write (than to type).

    Boring? Aren't you in college to learn something, not be entertained
    by your laptop computer?
    Tablets are great for collaboration, i.e. multiple users working in
    OneNote together, printing out notes/emailing them to a classmate that
    was absent, searching through your notes with OneNote (that's really
    worthless!), there are too many features of tablets to not require
    them.

    >Can you imagine a teacher telling a student "Honey, you need to have a
    >Tablet PC with you" --- "but I can't afford it... " --- "Yes but you may
    >fail assignments that require a Tablet PC!" <------- THIS WAS AN ACTUAL
    >VIRGINIA TECH CONVERSATION.

    No, I can't imagine a professor calling a student "honey."

    Tablets are very powerful for education.
    If you stop complaining about being forced to try something new, you
    will find that they are powerful tools.

    Most of your arguments are non-issues and not relating to tablets at
    all.

    --
    Cheers,
    Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP