Re: Anyone Windows Hardware With Energy Saving Equal to Apple Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Intel' started by James Harris, Nov 13, 2010.

  1. James Harris

    James Harris Guest

    On Nov 13, 8:42 pm, "W" <> wrote:
    > I was looking for a server to use as a DNS appliance on a network, and I
    > wanted to find one that uses a minimum amount of energy.   I stumbled on the
    > Apple Mac Mini.   Somehow they have this server working at 15 watts (!)when
    > not in active use, and during full power on activity the server is only
    > using 85 watts.   It uses an Intel Core Duo 2.   Part of their energysaving
    > strategy is the aluminum case, which acts as a passive heat sink and avoids
    > the need to run the cooling fan nearly as hard as it would in a plastic
    > case.   My question is has any vendor for a Windows-OS server come up with a
    > *server* product that is equally energy efficient?     Most of the so-called
    > energy efficient servers I am seeing through Dell and HP are using 200 to
    > 300 watts.   The units that they offer that have significant energy sparing
    > features are all toyish client computers.     What are the most energy
    > efficient Intel-based Windows-OS servers in today's market?
    >
    > I'm okay with running slower processors.   A DNS server with a 1.8 GHz CPU
    > is overkill already.

    Try a Viglen MPC-L or similar. It's not at all fast but I think it's
    rated at something like 8 watts. Last time I looked there were others
    of the same spec (I think Viglen just put there badge on someone
    else's unit) but not nearly the same price.

    James
    James Harris, Nov 13, 2010

  2. James Harris

    James Harris Guest

    On Nov 14, 2:20 am, "W" <> wrote:

    > "James Harris" <> wrote in message

    > On Nov 13, 8:42 pm, "W" <> wrote:
    >

    > > I was looking for a server to use as a DNS appliance on a network, and I
    > > wanted to find one that uses a minimum amount of energy. I stumbled on the
    > > Apple Mac Mini. Somehow they have this server working at 15 watts (!) when
    > > not in active use, and during full power on activity the server is only
    > > using 85 watts. It uses an Intel Core Duo 2. Part of their energy saving
    > > strategy is the aluminum case, which acts as a passive heat sink and

    > avoids
    > > the need to run the cooling fan nearly as hard as it would in a plastic
    > > case. My question is has any vendor for a Windows-OS server come up with a
    > > *server* product that is equally energy efficient? Most of the so-called
    > > energy efficient servers I am seeing through Dell and HP are using 200 to
    > > 300 watts. The units that they offer that have significant energy sparing
    > > features are all toyish client computers. What are the most energy
    > > efficient Intel-based Windows-OS servers in today's market?

    > > I'm okay with running slower processors. A DNS server with a 1.8 GHz CPU
    > > is overkill already.

    > Try a Viglen MPC-L or similar. It's not at all fast but I think it's
    > rated at something like 8 watts. Last time I looked there were others
    > of the same spec (I think Viglen just put there badge on someone
    > else's unit) but not nearly the same price.

    > That Viglen is using a Geode processor. If you want Ubuntu, that's a nice
    > solution. But if you want Wintel and Windows, that is not going to work..

    Of course it can work. Where did you check? Viglen on their web site
    recommend Windows 7 for the box and there is at least one web site
    showing how to install XP on it.

    I referred to the Viglen as you said you "wanted to find one that uses
    a minimum amount of energy." Other options if you don't want the
    lowest power consumption: a subnotebook (effectively comes with its
    own UPS) such as Asus EEE or MSI Wind, mini-itx, pico-itx, Intel Atom.
    You'll have to research the details.

    James
    James Harris, Nov 14, 2010