Re: ASUS P5W DH DELUXE and CONROE E6600 2,40GHz FSB 1066 4MB: Can I install Win7 64bit?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Rob, Aug 25, 2010.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "AroundTheWorld" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have Intel CONROE E6600 2,40GHz FSB 1066 4MB cache LGA775 and
    > ASUS P5W DH DELUXE. I have bout them 3 years ago.
    > In your opinon can I install Windows 7 64bit?
    > Thanks

    Win7x64 will have most of the drivers needed already.
    You may need to go to Intel, Realtek, jMicron for some other drivers.
    See this thread:
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...=1&model=P5W DH Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

    I would remove the existing system hard drive and install Win7x64 to a new
    drive.
    That way you can easily just put the old hard drive back in if you have any
    problems.

    You may get fewer installation problems if you put the BIOS into IDE mode
    (instead of RAID or AHCI.)

    HTH,
    --
    Rob

    Rob, Aug 25, 2010

  2. Rob

    mikea Guest

    AroundTheWorld <> wrote in <>:
    >>I would remove the existing system hard drive and install Win7x64 to a new
    >>drive.

    > Thanks for your interesting reply. Can you tell me why do I have to
    > replace the old hard drive with a new one?
    > I don't understand.

    He told you exactly why in the second sentence.

    > I would remove the existing system hard drive and install Win7x64 to a
    > new drive. That way you can easily just put the old hard drive back in
    > if you have any problems.

    Using a completely different drive gives you a known working fallback
    position.

    --
    Mike Andrews, W5EGO

    Tired old sysadmin

    mikea, Aug 25, 2010

  3. Rob

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Rob"
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >You may get fewer installation problems if you put the BIOS into IDE mode
    >(instead of RAID or AHCI.)

    AHCI works fine on that motherboard straight out of the box on modern
    OSes (Vista and up), and gives noticeably better performance than in IDE
    emulation mode.

    In other words, for W7, stay in AHCI mode unless you have a drive with
    issues.

    DevilsPGD, Aug 25, 2010
  4. Rob

    Paul Guest

    AroundTheWorld wrote:
    >> In other words, for W7, stay in AHCI mode unless you have a drive with
    >> issues.

    > Where is AHCI mode please? In what Asus screening?

    See section 4.3.6 "IDE Configuration" of the user manual.

    "Configure SATA As"

    *******

    AHCI mode supports NCQ (native command queuing, useful for
    multiple programs accessing the disk simultaneously, such as on
    a file server), and AHCI also support "hot plug" of the hard drive.

    (This external device, allows plugging in a raw hard drive
    mechanism while the computer is running. It is an example
    of "hot plug". I would not do this, due to the danger of
    shaking the drive while it is still spinning. It might be safe
    to plug it in, but ejecting the drive is more dangerous.)

    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/ProductBanner/storage/ST0005U.jpg

    The AHCI mode, if selected before you install the OS, also makes
    it easier to upgrade to a RAID driver later on, after
    the OS has been installed. Those are some reasons to
    use that mode.

    Windows 7 has a built-in AHCI driver, so selecting that
    setting in the BIOS, should work without an issue. But if you're
    dual booting WinXP (have two separate disks, Win7 on
    one disk, WinXP on the other disk), you'll need to change
    the BIOS setting "Configure SATA As" back to the original
    value, in order to get the old installation of WinXP to work.

    And Fogar, the other respondents have given you sound advice.
    By using a new and separate hard drive, to hold Windows 7,
    and disconnecting the old WinXP hard drive for now, that will make
    it easier to return to your old configuration later. It is
    like making a backup, a backup of a system where all your
    software works. You know how difficult it is to configure
    and load the drivers to make that system of yours work, and
    you may need to go back to WinXP, if Windows 7 causes problems.
    If you still have the Matrox Real Time Video Editing card, it may
    not have a Windows 7 driver, and may fail to work. That alone, may be
    a reason to stick with the WinXP that is working. The Matrox card
    may not have Windows 7 64 bit drivers.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 29, 2010
  5. "AroundTheWorld" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Do I have to enter into BIOS and modify anything?

    You can keep everything in the bios as it is (and as it already works with
    Win XP) unless you update your RAM to more than 3 GB and uses Win7 x64. Than
    you should change an option in the bios which says, that you use a 64bit OS
    to be able to use the RAM above 3 GB.

    Further on I recommend a bios update at least to version 2901. There were
    fixed some issues with Vista and to prevent problems with Win7, I would
    update.

    > My PC has one hard drive for OS, One hard drive for storage files
    > (music and avi files) and 2 hard drives in RAID 0 for video editing.
    > thanks

    I use a Q6600@3,22 GHz on this board with BIOS 2901 under Win7 prof. x64
    and 4 GB RAM. My system runs like charm and it is rock solid as never
    before with Win XP. As system drive I use a SSD Super Talent 64GB which gave
    my system a noticeable boost.

    Bye
    Andreas

    Andreas Scheer, Sep 1, 2010
  6. Rob

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> AroundTheWorld
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >>Further on I recommend a bios update at least to version 2901. There were
    >>fixed some issues with Vista and to prevent problems with Win7, I would
    >>update.

    >I have just downloaded 2901version. Now can you tell me what is the
    >easiest software to update the BIOS?

    Personally I typically burn to CD and boot off the CD to avoid any OS
    related issues during the update.

    DevilsPGD, Sep 1, 2010
  7. Rob

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> AroundTheWorld
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >>Personally I typically burn to CD and boot off the CD to avoid any OS
    >>related issues during the update.

    >A last question please.
    >If I installa the new BIOS, will I have to configure the new BIOS
    >again? My PC has 5 hard drives, 4 with RAID 0 and I am afraid it lost
    >the config.
    >thanks

    Assume yes and record your current details. I'm actually not sure, I
    found the RAID performance on that board was lacking so I switched to
    some HighPoint 8-port PCI-E controllers instead.

    DevilsPGD, Sep 4, 2010