Re: ATI fan speed control

Discussion in 'ATI' started by ati.user, Nov 8, 2008.

  1. ati.user

    ati.user Guest

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 22:46:48 -0000 'Carl'
    wrote this on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati:

    >Hello, this might sound daft, but has anyone ran a game with the fan speed
    >set to, say, 50%? I am playing Fallout 3 at the minute, and after several
    >hours I got a CTD, with sound problems, meaning I had to reboot. It's either
    >the soundcard or videocard problem. I have had this same CTD happen in
    >Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2. I'd like to cross one of these pieces of hardware
    >off the list, when it crashes, I open CCC to look at the temperature of the
    >graphics card, but it seems normal. I am thinking that if I run the fan
    >manually, that I can cool the card more than what it does automatically, as
    >I rarely hear the fans spin up whilst playing. Any opinions gladly received!

    Afaik to control fan speeds of anything, the fan must feed data
    back to some software, like SpeedFan, via the mobo fan headers
    which picks it up and then allows you to control it. Do graphics
    cards have three -wire fans for this? Mine never have had.
    ati.user, Nov 8, 2008

  2. ati.user

    DRS Guest

    "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, "Carl"
    > <> wrote:
    >> The new catalyst control centre has an option in it to manually
    >> control the card's fan speed.
    >>

    > Where, it doesnt seem to have that while using my MSI 3870 OC cards.

    Unlock ATI Overdrive in the 8.10 CCC then enable Manual Fan Control.
    DRS, Nov 9, 2008