Re: ATI intorduces the new HD 5870 today

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Thomas Womack, Sep 24, 2009.

  1. In article <>,
    William <> wrote:
    >Highlights:
    >
    >The HD 5870 is capable of delivering up to 2.72 TeraFLOPS of computing
    >power.

    But still only a gigabyte of memory.

    OK, the GPGPU-ish job I want to do (GNFS linear algebra: find a kernel
    vector for a 30M*30M matrix with ~70 non-zero entries per row, a
    simple matter of about a million multiplies of the 30M*30M matrix by a
    30M*64-bit vector) is a somewhat esoteric one, but it would be really
    handy to have 16G on the graphics card even if that had to be slower
    than the blazing-in-all-senses RAM on current machines.

    Or to be able to read over PCIe from main memory; I don't know if
    ATI cards nowadays support this for buffers of >4G. I know the nVidia
    cards are tied to 32-bit addressing to the point that a 16G Tesla
    presents as four 3.75G cards ...

    Tom

    1. Advertising

  2. Thomas Womack wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > William <> wrote:
    >> Highlights:
    >>
    >> The HD 5870 is capable of delivering up to 2.72 TeraFLOPS of computing
    >> power.

    > But still only a gigabyte of memory.
    >
    > OK, the GPGPU-ish job I want to do (GNFS linear algebra: find a kernel
    > vector for a 30M*30M matrix with ~70 non-zero entries per row, a
    > simple matter of about a million multiplies of the 30M*30M matrix by a
    > 30M*64-bit vector) is a somewhat esoteric one, but it would be really
    > handy to have 16G on the graphics card even if that had to be slower
    > than the blazing-in-all-senses RAM on current machines.
    >
    > Or to be able to read over PCIe from main memory; I don't know if
    > ATI cards nowadays support this for buffers of >4G. I know the nVidia
    > cards are tied to 32-bit addressing to the point that a 16G Tesla
    > presents as four 3.75G cards ...
    >
    > Tom

    If you look for the swiss-army-knife of brute-force ask your next friendly
    Deep-Thought agent. I suppose after the last job they run pretty idle now.

    Ciao, pun intended
    Niels