Re: bootable win7 usb flash drive on P6X58D

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Paul, Nov 19, 2010.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    dave wrote:
    > I'm trying to make a usb flash drive for installing Win 7 using the
    > instructions below. I got these off the web quite some time ago and
    > I don't remember where. I have no problem creating the drive but at
    > boot I get a prompt to insert a bootable source. I have the " removable
    > device" set in bios to be the first boot and have even disabled the
    > rest. Under the "advanced" bios menu for the "usb configuration" it
    > shows the flash drive is connected.
    > So, does anyone see something wrong with the instructions below? Or
    > any other ideas?
    > Thanks
    > Dave

    > Required:
    >
    > ¦USB Flash Drive (4GB+)
    > ¦Microsoft OS Disk (Vista / Windows 7)
    > ¦A computer running Vista / Windows 7
    >
    > Step 1: Format the Drive
    > The steps here are to use the command line to format the disk properly
    > using the diskpart utility. [Be warned: this will erase everything on your
    > drive. Be careful.]
    >
    > 1.Plug in your USB Flash Drive
    > 2.Open a command prompt as administrator (Right click on Start > All
    > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator”
    > 3.Find the drive number of your USB Drive by typing the following into the
    > Command Prompt window:
    > diskpart
    > list disk
    > The number of your USB drive will listed. You’ll need this for the next
    > step. I’ll assume that the USB flash drive is disk 1.
    > 4.Format the drive by typing the next instructions into the same window.
    > Replace the number “1” with the number of your disk below.
    > select disk 1
    > clean
    > create partition primary
    > select partition 1
    > active
    > format fs=NTFS
    > assign
    > exit
    > When that is done you’ll have a formatted USB flash drive ready to be made
    > bootable.
    >
    > Step 2: Make the Drive Bootable
    > Next we’ll use the bootsect utility that comes on the Vista or Windows 7
    > disk to make the flash drive bootable. In the same command window that
    > you were using in Step 1:
    >
    > 1.Insert your Windows Vista / 7 DVD into your drive.
    > 2.Change directory to the DVD’s boot directory where bootsect lives:
    > d:
    > cd d:\boot
    > 3.Use bootsect to set the USB as a bootable NTFS drive prepared for a
    > Vista/7 image. I’m assuming that your USB flash drive has been labeled disk
    > G:\ by the computer:
    > bootsect /nt60 g:
    > 4.You can now close the command prompt window, we’re done here.
    > Step 3: Copy the installation DVD to the USB drive
    > The easiest way is to use Windows explorer to copy all of the files on your
    > DVD on to the formatted flash drive. After you’ve copied all of the files
> [...]

    In the comment section of the article where you found that description,
    there was this.

    http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

    http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe

    That takes an ISO9660 image of the DVD as source, and prepares a USB stick
    for you. To use that, you'll need to meet the requirements of the tool
    (.NET Framework 2.0, IMAPI2 package for WinXP (Image Mastering API v2)).
    The IMAPI2 would only be needed, to allow WinXP to burn a DVD on its own
    (which you're not doing). But the tool might check for it anyway.
    That tool has two options. It can do ISO9660 ---> burn a DVD, or
    ISO9660 ---> USB flash.

    The web page also states, there is some issue with 32 bit versus
    64 bit versions of bootsect.

    To use the above, you'd need a way to convert the DVD, into an ISO9660 file.
    Perhaps you could do that with "Imgburn" ?

    http://www.imgburn.com/

    There are more recipes listed here. One recipe uses a third party tool.

    http://social.answers.microsoft.com...l/thread/e2a93810-0cd7-475a-8a53-cd84ef1f81e9

    *******

    If you want to continue with the recipe you're using, I don't see a
    problem with that.

    You can use PTEDIT32, to inspect the MBR and partition table entries
    of the USB flash.

    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/PTEDIT32.zip

    For example, I have a bootable USB stick (8GB) with Knoppix on it. And
    it has one partition defined. PTEDIT32 shows...

    <--- Start ---> <---- End ---->
    Type Boot Cyl Head Sector Cyl Head Sector Sectors_Before Total_Sectors
    0C 80 0 1 1 1021 246 62 62 15650846

    Your USB flash right now should be similar, but partition type 07
    (NTFS), boot flag set (80), and the rest as appropriate.

    The bootsect is going to load the 440 byte section of the MBR. That's
    my guess as to what it's doing. The /NT60 thing is intended to pick
    the operating system version of boot sector desired.

    I have a suspicion, that "bootsect" allows repairing an MBR, with 440
    bytes of bootcode for WinXP, Vista, or Windows 7. If, on the other hand,
    you use "bootrec /FixMbr", that is going to put the same version of
    440 bytes of code, as would be appropriate for the OS providing the
    copy of bootrec. More details on bootrec here.

    (bootrec)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

    The bootrec /FixBoot, repairs some sectors located just before
    the file system, in the new C: partition. When you copy files
    from one partition to another, that doesn't backup or prepare the
    boot sectors within the partition. (When I looked with a hex
    editor, there might be about 1536 bytes worth installed, and
    it is in the first 63 sectors somewhere. I haven't checked my
    Windows 7 laptop, to see what is in there. TestDisk might be
    able to allow you to look there. But TestDisk lacks copies
    of "good" 1536 chunks of data.).

    The parts involved, would look like this. Formatting, would normally
    erase the first 63 sectors of the partition (i.e. if building a data
    partition). An OS installer puts the partition boot sectors back.
    Or any repair utility designed for the job.

    | |<---- first 63 sectors ---> | <------- file system proper --->|
    | MBR | (partition boot | |
    |440 bytes | sectors) | diskpart or other |
    |boot code | (via FixBoot) | formatter |

    Best guess,
    Paul
    Paul, Nov 19, 2010