Re: Can Voip incoming call wake the computer from sleep?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by nospam, Jul 12, 2012.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    > If a Mac is asleep and no other programs except a softphone app is
    > open, and the computer sleeps and someone rings the VOIP access number
    > (that works fine when the computer is awake), will ticking 'Wake for
    > network access' in Sys Prefs/ Energy/Power Adapter (Snow Lep) wake the
    > machine and enable the softphone to ring?


    no.

    wake for network access requires a wake on lan packet and that won't
    happen with a voip call.
     
    1. Advertising

  2. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <120720121000502951%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > In article <>, dorayme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > If a Mac is asleep and no other programs except a softphone app is
    > > open, and the computer sleeps and someone rings the VOIP access number
    > > (that works fine when the computer is awake), will ticking 'Wake for
    > > network access' in Sys Prefs/ Energy/Power Adapter (Snow Lep) wake the
    > > machine and enable the softphone to ring?

    >
    > no.
    >
    > wake for network access requires a wake on lan packet and that won't
    > happen with a voip call.


    So, you are saying at least that it won't even wake up.

    Anyway, as I said to Geoff... I better go buy a convertor box and stop
    messing about. Someone said some Cisco was a good one. I want good,
    easy to get, and cheap. But I can compromise on these qualities.

    --
    dorayme
     
    1. Advertising

  3. dorayme wrote:
    >
    > Anyway, as I said to Geoff... I better go buy a convertor box and stop
    > messing about. Someone said some Cisco was a good one. I want good,
    > easy to get, and cheap. But I can compromise on these qualities.
    >


    I think you would be much better off getting a SIP phone that fits your needs.

    One that plugs into an ethernet port of the router and takes calls directly.

    You can also get wifi ones, but so far I have only seen handsets that
    are wifi (like cordless phones) which I don't want. I guess I have to look
    harder.

    Someone also sells a SIP DECT base station, where you can have as many
    as 6 handsets with two different "lines". I looked at them to connect
    directly to a local asterisk system, I don't know if they will work with
    a remote SIP server, but it should be easy to find out.

    If money is not an issue then I would seriously look at the Cisco SPA525G.
    If it is, I would still look at it and then look for a cheap Chinese copy.
    :)

    Geoff.

    --
    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
     
  4. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > >
    > > Anyway, as I said to Geoff... I better go buy a convertor box and stop
    > > messing about. Someone said some Cisco was a good one. I want good,
    > > easy to get, and cheap. But I can compromise on these qualities.
    > >

    >
    > I think you would be much better off getting a SIP phone that fits your needs.
    >
    > One that plugs into an ethernet port of the router and takes calls directly.
    >
    > You can also get wifi ones, but so far I have only seen handsets that
    > are wifi (like cordless phones) which I don't want. I guess I have to look
    > harder.
    >
    > Someone also sells a SIP DECT base station, where you can have as many
    > as 6 handsets with two different "lines". I looked at them to connect
    > directly to a local asterisk system, I don't know if they will work with
    > a remote SIP server, but it should be easy to find out.
    >
    > If money is not an issue then I would seriously look at the Cisco SPA525G.
    > If it is, I would still look at it and then look for a cheap Chinese copy.
    > :)


    It's not so much that money for such things is an objective issue, I
    am just helplessly small-minded and have many old analog phones that
    work perfectly well and an ATA adapter is all I need surely?

    Remember, I am a terrible thing and no one much talks to me on phones
    either so why get top of the line digital all? (I tried to swap my
    Macbook for a beggar's iPhone the other day, he agreed till he heard
    my other condition: I get his takings from handouts for the next
    year).

    I can get a NetComm V210P VoIP ATA Phone Adapter Port Pass-through for
    about $50 or Cisco SPA112 2-Port Phone Adapter for $70 delivered.

    --
    dorayme
     
  5. dorayme wrote:

    >
    > Remember, I am a terrible thing and no one much talks to me on phones
    > either so why get top of the line digital all?


    I used that as an example because I found it easily and it had everything you
    would need. There are a lot other ones.

    I think it would be a lot easier to configure a phone once instead of
    configuring an ATA, and then getting a phone to work properly.

    Assuming your router supports DHCP, you would just have to enter the
    hostname of your SIP host, username and password.

    You just have to make sure the phone can be configured either through the
    front panel (aka dial) via an LCD, or via a web interface.

    >
    > I can get a NetComm V210P VoIP ATA Phone Adapter Port Pass-through for
    > about $50 or Cisco SPA112 2-Port Phone Adapter for $70 delivered.
    >


    There are several Chinese ones that sell for $45 in a box of 6, which means
    you can get them for around $75 depending upon where you are.

    Geoff.


    --
    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
     
  6. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    > It's not so much that money for such things is an objective issue, I
    > am just helplessly small-minded and have many old analog phones that
    > work perfectly well and an ATA adapter is all I need surely?


    that's all you need.
     
  7. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >

    ....
    >
    > I think it would be a lot easier to configure a phone once instead of
    > configuring an ATA, and then getting a phone to work properly.
    >
    > Assuming your router supports DHCP, you would just have to enter the
    > hostname of your SIP host, username and password.
    >
    > You just have to make sure the phone can be configured either through the
    > front panel (aka dial) via an LCD, or via a web interface.
    >
    > >
    > > I can get a NetComm V210P VoIP ATA Phone Adapter Port Pass-through for
    > > about $50 or Cisco SPA112 2-Port Phone Adapter for $70 delivered.
    > >

    >
    > There are several Chinese ones that sell for $45 in a box of 6, which means
    > you can get them for around $75 depending upon where you are.
    >


    Oh well, if the new NetComm V210P VoIP ATA Phone Adapter for $39 I
    just ordered and will pick up not too far away next week is too hard
    for my feeble brain to manage, I will revisit the issue. Thanks for
    your input.

    --
    dorayme
     
  8. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <130720120939440802%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > In article <>, dorayme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > It's not so much that money for such things is an objective issue, I
    > > am just helplessly small-minded and have many old analog phones that
    > > work perfectly well and an ATA adapter is all I need surely?

    >
    > that's all you need.


    Yes, I am confident about it too.

    --
    dorayme
     
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,005
  2. Boki
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    321
  3. Gustavo Gomez
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    277
    Gustavo Gomez
    Oct 5, 2003
  4. leo
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    194
  5. eastcoastguyz
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    548
    Simon Slavin
    May 31, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page