Re: Chaintech CT-7NJL6 Locks up

Discussion in 'Chaintech' started by thedreaming, Dec 16, 2005.

  1. thedreaming

    thedreaming Guest

    > Guywrote
    Before you go blow cash on more new hardware, let's make sure al
    your motherboard BIOS settings are stable.

    > Can you access BIOS? You will need to go through your manual

    basically between pages 7 and 33, and verify settings.

    > Plan on clearing your CMOS (page 14) first to reset your system
    >
    > Verify your JP3 jumper is on pins 1 and 2 (page 15)
    >
    > This board defaults to a PCI video card (page 22).
    >
    > Check your boot sequence and make sure it supports what you ar

    trying to do (page 23)

    > Are you booting to the XP cd, or trying to install over what yo

    already have

    > Also, your SATA setup concerns me. Is that a Maxtor drive and di

    you have it set up as SATA previously?

    > Also, it is odd but the single most common failure for me when

    upgrade is the CD-ROM drive. I lose one every time I upgrade (bu
    this is anecdotal, not scientific).

    > I am sure at least two other very qualified people will post soon

    It might take a couple of days to troubleshoot, so hang in there

    Thank you for replying

    I reset the cmos, checked JP3, Set the system to startup on the AG
    and not PCI first, and set the boot sequence to start with the cdrom
    then a hard drive

    I'm booting from the xp cd and I'm doing a fresh install every time

    Yes, it is a maxtor and it's a SATA drive natively, I'm not using tha
    weird adapter thing

    One thing that I forgot to mention. When I had my old 30g ide driv
    connected, I did manage to install iwndows xp on it and it didn'
    lock up. I assumed all my problems were over and decided to ad
    another 512M of memory (512M pc2700 by ultra) and the 160g Maxto
    SATA drive. That's when I started getting the lockups

    I keep thinking that it's a power supply problem, but why would tha
    be the case, I'm only running one drive at a time, not both of the
    and even then, it should be able to handle two hds and a dvd burne
    with no problems, shouldn't it?

    My power supply is a 425W

    I'm going to disconnect the SATA and reconnect the 30g and see if i
    locks up, but if it doesn't lockup, those that mean that the SATA i
    just bad? It's easy enough to exchange for another one or
    different brand
    thedreaming, Dec 16, 2005