Re: Client Lease Time?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Pen, Nov 21, 2010.

  1. Pen

    Pen Guest

    On 11/21/2010 10:59 AM, Ron Hardin wrote:
    > What's the significance of the client lease time in a linksys router?
    >
    > Apparently 30000 is not a good idea - I ran out of legal addresses.
    >
    > Next try is 0.
    >
    > I'm not sure what I'm trading off with this.

    You attempted to set a release time of approximately 3 weeks.
    The Client Lease Time is the amount of time a network user
    will be allowed connection to the Router with their current
    dynamic IP address. Enter the amount of time, in minutes,
    that the user will be “leased” this dynamic IP address.
    After the time is up, the user will be automatically
    assigned a new dynamic IP address. The default is 0 minutes,
    which means one day.
    Pen, Nov 21, 2010

  2. Pen

    Pen Guest

    On 11/21/2010 12:19 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
    > Pen wrote:
    >>
    >> On 11/21/2010 10:59 AM, Ron Hardin wrote:
    >>> What's the significance of the client lease time in a linksys router?
    >>>
    >>> Apparently 30000 is not a good idea - I ran out of legal addresses.
    >>>
    >>> Next try is 0.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not sure what I'm trading off with this.

    >> You attempted to set a release time of approximately 3 weeks.
    >> The Client Lease Time is the amount of time a network user
    >> will be allowed connection to the Router with their current
    >> dynamic IP address. Enter the amount of time, in minutes,
    >> that the user will be “leased” this dynamic IP address.
    >> After the time is up, the user will be automatically
    >> assigned a new dynamic IP address. The default is 0 minutes,
    >> which means one day.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > What happens when the lease time is up if the laptop is still connectedto the network?
    > Mine is on 24/7.
    >
    > Does it start a negotiation on a new address, or just hang? Windows XPHome.

    It just gets a new one. Mine is on 24/7 for months at a time.
    Pen, Nov 21, 2010

  3. Pen

    Pen, Nov 21, 2010