Re: compaq presario 5WV254 5000 SERIES

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Postman Delivers, Nov 27, 2008.

  1. On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 02:45:35 -0600, PRIGGIES1 wrote:

    > I Need A Restore Disk For This Model For Xp Home Or Millium

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?
    docname=c00034296&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=93914

    The above website link show this model had a AMD Duron 700 with 64 MB
    DIMM as standard. But you have three memory slots, and can use 3x256
    PC100 or down-gradable PC133 memory...

    I am guessing your system has a Win98 COA, affixed to the case? Or you
    may have a windows ME COA? Not a very Powerful system for running
    windows XP?

    I can not find where this system shipped with windows XP, or Win2k,
    maybe I am blind. Think you might need to purchase a new version of
    windows XP since you can not get a winXP recovery disk for your
    hardware.

    If you take your time and bid at the right moment you can purchase a
    faster system with the recovery disks on ebay for the price of a new XP
    Operating System disk...

    I saw windows XP Home advertised at Fry's Electronics for $69 today, a
    pre-thanksgiving sale...

    You could use a small safe Linux operating system, since you will not be
    able to find a free anti-virus, or malware scanners for windows 98 or
    ME.

    Puppy, or Slitaz cooking are very small Linux operating systems that are
    wonderful and quick in older hardware. Great for web surfing with
    Firefox, checking on-line e-mail and running pan or other Usenet
    newsreaders. Using Linux would be a safe method to get on line with a
    modern operating system in your older hardware. Both of these systems
    will require you to have a minimum of 128 MB of memory, if the system is
    maxed, then both of these operating systems will make that hardware run
    quickly with a fast internet connection.

    JR the postman
    Postman Delivers, Nov 27, 2008