Re: Compaq Presario V5306US and memory speed

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Ben Myers, Apr 28, 2008.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Processor clock speed and motherboard design govern the actual speed at which
    memory operates, not the memory speed itself. And, of course, the memory speed
    needs to meet the minimum speed required by the motherboard specifications. I
    really doubt that there is any way for you to increase the speed... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 28, 2008

  2. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Laptop and desktop capabilities are not directly comparable. Laptops are very
    much more closed-end systems, with extremely limited possibilities for improving
    CPU and memory performance. The HP web site says PC2700 memory, so that's what
    it is.

    You can do your own research on the motherboard chipset to find out whether it
    supports faster memory in combination with a CPU with a faster front side bus.
    If it does, then you have the possibility of installing a faster CPU with PC3200
    memory. Frankly, CPU upgrades of laptops are not to be taken lightly.

    You can also find out if HP makes/made similar models with different CPUs and/or
    memory.

    HP's technical information on the Presario V5306US is a little sparse, to state
    it kindly. The HP web site does not say what the motherboard chipset is, nor
    does it give a clue about "families" of laptop computers sharing the same
    motherboard... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 28, 2008

  3. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    FWIW, I found the following apparently similar models of Presario V5300-series
    laptops on the HP web site. Note that their memory configurations are
    different, indicating different models of motherboards:

    Compaq Presario V5300 CTO Notebook PC - NO DETAILED TECHNICAL INFO
    Compaq Presario V5303NR Notebook PC - AMD 1.6GHz Turion, PC2700 DDR memory
    Compaq Presario V5304US Notebook PC - 2GHz Mobile AMD Sempron, PC2700 DDR
    Compaq Presario V5305WM Notebook PC - - 2GHz Mobile AMD Sempron, PC2700 DDR
    Compaq Presario V5306US Notebook PC - AMD 1.6GHz Turion, PC2700 DDR memory
    Compaq Presario V5307US Notebook PC - 1.86 GHz Intel® Centrino, DDR2 memory
    (speed unspecified)
    Compaq Presario V5308CA Notebook PC - 2GHz Mobile AMD Sempron, PC2700 DDR
    Compaq Presario V5310US Notebook PC - 2.2GHz Mobile AMD Sempron, PC2700 DDR
    Compaq Presario V5315WM Notebook PC - 1.8GHz Mobile AMD Sempron, PC2700 DDR

    Other than the Intel Centrino thrown into the mix, these are all AMD CPU systems
    with PC2700 memory. Also, apparently the V5300-series models refer to a shared
    common chassis and other parts with different motherboards. I don't know how
    HPaq can keep all this straight... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 28, 2008
  4. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Or possibly a design limitation in the motherboard itself... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 28, 2008