Re: Compaq W8000 With 4GB Showing 3440 MB

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Robert Miles, Nov 16, 2008.

  1. Robert Miles

    Robert Miles Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in message
    >I installed eight 512MB RDIMMs (using authorized Compaq part numbers for
    >the
    > memory) onto a Compaq W8000 workstation. At bootup the computer BIOS
    > is
    > reporting only 3440 MB present.
    >
    > Is this a limitation of a particular BIOS release? Is it corrected by a
    > later upgrade?
    >
    > Or would this indicate a problem with the memory?
    >
    > --
    > Will

    It's probably a problem with your operating system. The 32-bit operating
    systems most current machines use can't use a full 4 GB and still be able
    to handle input and output. However, I think I've read that some of the
    Vista updates (probably 32-bit versions of Vista SP1) will show the full 4
    GB as present, even though it's unable to use all of it. 64-bit versions of
    these operating systems don't have this restriction, and can go well beyond
    4 GB if your machine supports it, but are sometimes unable to use software
    written specifically for 32-bit machines. For example 32-bit drivers seldom
    work under a 64-bit version, and many companies which provided older
    hardware don't intend to provide 64-bit versions of the drivers for their
    older hardware.

    If a machine uses 32-bit addresses, and devotes some of its address space
    to handling input and output, as Windows machines do, it's unable to have
    enough 32-bit addresses left to reach all of 4 GB.

    Robert Miles, Nov 16, 2008

  2. Robert Miles

    Robert Miles Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in message
    > "Robert Miles" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Will" <> wrote in message
    >> >I installed eight 512MB RDIMMs (using authorized Compaq part numbers for
    >> >the
    >> > memory) onto a Compaq W8000 workstation. At bootup the computer
    >> > BIOS
    >> > is
    >> > reporting only 3440 MB present.
    >> >
    >> > Is this a limitation of a particular BIOS release? Is it corrected by

    >> > later upgrade?
    >> >
    >> > Or would this indicate a problem with the memory?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Will
    >> >

    >> It's probably a problem with your operating system. The 32-bit operating
    >> systems most current machines use can't use a full 4 GB and still be able
    >> to handle input and output. However, I think I've read that some of the
    >> Vista updates (probably 32-bit versions of Vista SP1) will show the full
    >> 4
    >> GB as present, even though it's unable to use all of it. 64-bit versions

    > of
    >> these operating systems don't have this restriction, and can go well

    > beyond
    >> 4 GB if your machine supports it, but are sometimes unable to use
    >> software
    >> written specifically for 32-bit machines. For example 32-bit drivers

    > seldom
    >> work under a 64-bit version, and many companies which provided older
    >> hardware don't intend to provide 64-bit versions of the drivers for their
    >> older hardware.
    >>
    >> If a machine uses 32-bit addresses, and devotes some of its address space
    >> to handling input and output, as Windows machines do, it's unable to have
    >> enough 32-bit addresses left to reach all of 4 GB.

    > As I originally posted, it is the W8000 BIOS that is reporting 3440MB.
    > So
    > before the computer OS ever starts to load, the computer is reporting 3440
    > MB not 4GB
    >
    > --
    > Will

    Which is likely to mean that the BIOS knows how much of the memory
    space is reserved for things such as the video card and the BIOS itself,
    and therefore avoids reporting it. You may want to check if your BIOS
    has an option to assume a 64-bit operating system instead, and therefore
    report the amount of memory reachable using 64-bit addresses.

    Robert Miles, Nov 16, 2008

  3. Robert Miles

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    <snipped>

    >> As I originally posted, it is the W8000 BIOS that is reporting 3440MB. So
    >> before the computer OS ever starts to load, the computer is reporting
    >> 3440 MB not 4GB

    =====
    I agree. A little history of PC :
    Did it EVER work - with all of the modules?
    .... It worked fine ( with xgb) until NOW you are you adding 4gb , etc

    Maybe one is bad ? All same speed ?
    http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00704816/c00704816.pdf
    page 2-1 ( pg 45 of pdf) = memory troubleshooting.

    No BIOS update since 2004:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...sId=322279&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093
    neither update had to do with mem size. but compare versions to yours:
    "Adds new F10 Setup feature to enable/disable legacy port resources (i.e.
    COM1, COM2, LPT) when setup password is set."

    Rotate pairs and build up - does physical module make a difference ? etc
    http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01132922/c01132922.pdf
    Pg 4-9 and up - 800mhz modules, inserted correctly etc ?

    Here's the main page for W8000 support
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Id=110&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=322279#5

    have hp website probe your PC:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=322279

    Good Luck

    - Bobb -, Nov 16, 2008
  4. * Robert Miles:

    > For example 32-bit drivers seldom work under a 64-bit version

    To be precise, *no* 32bit drivers work with 64bit Windows.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Nov 19, 2008
  5. * Robert Miles:

    > You may want to check if your BIOS
    > has an option to assume a 64-bit operating system instead, and therefore
    > report the amount of memory reachable using 64-bit addresses.

    Hardly possible since the W8000 is a old 32bit machine.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Nov 19, 2008