Re: Compaq W8000 With 4GB Showing 3440 MB

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Benjamin Gawert, Nov 19, 2008.

  1. * Will:
    > I installed eight 512MB RDIMMs (using authorized Compaq part numbers for the
    > memory) onto a Compaq W8000 workstation. At bootup the computer BIOS is
    > reporting only 3440 MB present.

    Semms like bad or incompatible memory to me. IIRC the BIOS of the W8000
    should show the full installed memory, and even if would show only the
    useable amount of memory 3440MB seems odd to me if you don't have a lot
    of I/O cards or a 512MB gfx card in that machine.

    > Or would this indicate a problem with the memory?

    Very likely. If possible check the modules in another system, or at
    least check them separately (i.e. by replacing four modules with CRIMMs
    and see how much memory the BIOS reports, and if ok exchange the memory
    modules with the ones you removed and try again). You can also try a
    memory exerciser like memtest86+.

    Do the modules all have the same organization (/8 or /16)?

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Nov 19, 2008