Re: Computer Retail Sales And MOs Tax Free Weekend

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Colin Wilson, Jul 31, 2009.

  1. Colin Wilson

    Colin Wilson Guest

    > One would think the stores would try to double up and have the
    > sales (at a low mark down perhaps) over that weekend so their
    > customers get more for their dollar without having to actually
    > cut into the companies profits. Obviously not the way corporate
    > sees it. She went to all of the big box discount and electronics
    > stores in the area.

    More sales (at a lower profit) = more potential hassle with broken kit

    So, with your corporate hat on, do you;

    a) make the same profit with less exposure to warranty issues
    b) make the same profit with more exposure to warranty issues*

    *while incurring more shipping costs, quite possibly taking the profit
    margin down further again

    Colin Wilson, Jul 31, 2009

  2. Colin Wilson

    Ben Myers Guest

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    >> One would think the stores would try to double up and have the
    >> sales (at a low mark down perhaps) over that weekend so their
    >> customers get more for their dollar without having to actually
    >> cut into the companies profits. Obviously not the way corporate
    >> sees it. She went to all of the big box discount and electronics
    >> stores in the area.

    > More sales (at a lower profit) = more potential hassle with broken kit
    >
    > So, with your corporate hat on, do you;
    >
    > a) make the same profit with less exposure to warranty issues
    > b) make the same profit with more exposure to warranty issues*
    >
    > *while incurring more shipping costs, quite possibly taking the profit
    > margin down further again

    How about?

    c) manufacture a high quality product... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 3, 2009

  3. Colin Wilson

    Colin Wilson Guest

    > How about?
    > c) manufacture a high quality product... Ben Myers

    Even NASA gives the work to the lowest bidder...

    Colin Wilson, Aug 3, 2009
  4. Colin Wilson

    Ben Myers Guest

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    >> How about?
    >> c) manufacture a high quality product... Ben Myers

    > Even NASA gives the work to the lowest bidder...

    Well, sure. And NASA has some pretty rigorous quality standards, plus
    criteria which MUST be met by the winning bidder. Your point is???

    My point is that computer manufacturers and manufacturers of other goods
    keep throwing crap over the wall on an unsuspecting public, who then
    complain about the garbage they have bought while using price and the
    only criterion for making a purchase. You get what you pay for.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 4, 2009