Re: Cooling New Thin Laptop AC Power Supplies

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Monica, Dec 27, 2010.

  1. Monica

    Monica Guest

    <lol> More commonly known as "cooling racks" but "cookie cooler" works for
    me :)
    I've been a laptop owner for less than two weeks and had forgotten about
    cooling pads
    till someone asked if I had one. This is the one I plan on getting unless
    someone can tell me
    why I shouldn't.
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cool...ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1293431183&sr=1-3
    How bad are these on laptop batteries? My N5010 doesn't seem to get too
    warm, but, I don't know
    how warm is "too warm".
    Monica

    Monica, Dec 27, 2010

  2. Monica

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:pIWRo.18623$,
    Monica typed on Mon, 27 Dec 2010 00:49:35 -0600:
    > <lol> More commonly known as "cooling racks" but "cookie cooler"
    > works for me :)
    > I've been a laptop owner for less than two weeks and had forgotten
    > about cooling pads
    > till someone asked if I had one. This is the one I plan on getting
    > unless someone can tell me
    > why I shouldn't.
    > http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cool...ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1293431183&sr=1-3
    > How bad are these on laptop batteries? My N5010 doesn't seem to get
    > too warm, but, I don't know
    > how warm is "too warm".
    > Monica

    Hi Monica! Well max power per USB2 port is 2.5 watts. I believe some use
    one port and some use two. So that would be 2.5 to 5 watts of power. And
    from a battery, that could cut down a battery normally lasting 2 hours,
    down to about an hour and a half.

    One of the things that strikes me odd about those cooling pads, as they
    usually pull air down from the top. Yet many laptops generally pull air
    from the bottom. So when you use them together, the fans are fighting
    against each other. And that isn't very good. Yeah it works, but the
    fans are working harder than they should be.

    You know how many keyboards have folding legs in the back to raise the
    keyboard up at an angle? Well I am always puzzled why they don't do the
    very same for laptops? And I made my own legs to do this with my
    laptops. And just this alone lowers the outside bottom temperature of
    the laptop by 10°F. And lowers the CPU temperature by 15°F. Which is
    about what you get from one of those cooling pads anyway.

    So in my experience, getting the laptop off of the surface is the most
    important cooling effect that you can do. And I think legs is the
    simplest and very portable. But a cooling rack would be my next choice.
    And my last would be a cooling pad. Just my 2¢ worth.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    BillW50, Dec 27, 2010

  3. Monica

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:ifa3lq$bkf$-september.org,
    BillW50 typed on Mon, 27 Dec 2010 07:17:35 -0600:
    [...]
    > So in my experience, getting the laptop off of the surface is the most
    > important cooling effect that you can do. And I think legs is the
    > simplest and very portable. But a cooling rack would be my next
    > choice. And my last would be a cooling pad. Just my 2¢ worth.

    Oh yeah I forgot to mention another benefit with the legs. As some
    people likes to set their laptop down on a bed, cushion, pillow, or
    whatever. This of course almost always blocks the air flow and many
    laptops have overheated in this way. But I have found if the legs in the
    back are generally 2 or more inches, the laptops won't overheat (and
    stays cool) and still has plenty of air flow underneath them. ;-)

    BillW50, Dec 27, 2010
  4. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Bill, I called Logitech about their N100 Cooling Pad and asked how much
    power it pulls from the laptop's battery. It uses one usb port. Not sure
    if I worded the question right or even if I got the right answer but he said
    "5 volts, 200mAs". Does that make sense or tell you anything about how much
    it drains the laptop's battery?
    Also this pad has a rear air intake so as not to be confined when sitting on
    one's lap or laying on a bed or even sitting on a hard surface. The
    concaved top allows for air circulation underneath the laptop and the slots
    on the top of cooling pad help push cool air towards the bottom of the
    laptop and away while fresh air is pulled from the rear of the pad.
    http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/monicakm1/?action=view&current=pad2.jpg
    http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/monicakm1/?action=view&current=pad1.jpg
    http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/monicakm1/?action=view&current=pad3.jpg
    Several people report not being able to hear the cooling pad, it's that
    quiet.
    So, after looking at these pictures and reading this message, does it help
    change your mind about it at all or do you still feel it won't be as
    effective as it needs to be?
    Thanks,
    Monica

    Monica, Dec 30, 2010
  5. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Found some specs:
    Power consumption: Max: 5V @ 200mA
    Fan noise level: 27db

    Monica, Dec 30, 2010
  6. Monica

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:JP7To.23555$,
    Monica typed on Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:36:03 -0600:
    > Bill, I called Logitech about their N100 Cooling Pad and asked how
    > much power it pulls from the laptop's battery. It uses one usb port.
    > Not sure if I worded the question right or even if I got the right
    > answer but he said "5 volts, 200mAs". Does that make sense or tell
    > you anything about how much it drains the laptop's battery?
    > Also this pad has a rear air intake so as not to be confined when
    > sitting on one's lap or laying on a bed or even sitting on a hard
    > surface. The concaved top allows for air circulation underneath the
    > laptop and the slots on the top of cooling pad help push cool air
    > towards the bottom of the laptop and away while fresh air is pulled
    > from the rear of the pad.
    > http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/monicakm1/?action=view&current=pad2.jpg
    > http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/monicakm1/?action=view&current=pad1.jpg
    > http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/monicakm1/?action=view&current=pad3.jpg
    > Several people report not being able to hear the cooling pad, it's
    > that quiet. So, after looking at these pictures and reading this
    > message, does it
    > help change your mind about it at all or do you still feel it won't
    > be as effective as it needs to be?
    > Thanks,
    > Monica

    Hi Monica! I think you are pretty safe if you want to go that route. Yes
    it should do the job and 200ma isn't that bad. And if you are happy with
    it, so am I. ;-)

    BillW50, Dec 31, 2010
  7. Monica

    Monica Guest

    You sound like my husband :) Ordered it tonight. I'll let you know how it
    feels, if the laptop stays in one place (doesn't slide) and if it keeps the
    laptop fan from coming on.
    Monica
    And if you are happy with

    Monica, Dec 31, 2010