Re: Dimension C521 will not turn on

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ben Myers, Sep 8, 2008.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Replace the power supply and hope that everything else has not been damaged.
    Unless Dell has chosen a wretched Bestec power supply for this model (unlikely,
    but turning up in other Dell desktops, sadly), the power supply may have
    sacrificed itself for the rest of the system. So get another power supply and
    see what the next step is... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 8, 2008

  2. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    You lose the bet. Power supply connectors on this model are standard 24-pin BTX
    + the usual 4-pin 12v connector. Your bet was based on history, back when Dell
    really screwed around with power supply connectors, beginning with Pentium 1
    systems and up through the lamentable Socket 423 Pentium 4's. Ever since the
    Socket 478 Pentium 4 or Celeron, Dell's mainstream desktop power supply
    connectors have been standard, either 20-pin or 24-pin with 4-pin 12v. Sometimes
    power supply FORM FACTORS are non-standard, as with the Optiplex GX280 SFF, for
    example. But you could test an Optiplex GX280 SFF with a standard power
    supply... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 9, 2008