Re: diskpart's "clean all" hangs, no signs of HD activity

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Rod Speed, Jun 12, 2012.

  1. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    AndyHancock <> wrote

    > I am following the instructions at
    > http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52129-disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command.html
    > to erase my entire HD before sending my laptop somewhere.
    > In particular, I am issuing the diskpart command from a
    > "command prompt at boot". I only have one HD on the
    > laptop, Disk 0, and I selected it before "clean all". The
    > above webpage says it takes approximately 1 hour per
    > 300GB, and I have 300GB but it is still not done after 2 hours.
    > However, I also note that the HD LED is not showing any activity.

    > Has the process hung due to the fact that I am
    > cleaning the same HD that I am operating from?

    Nope, it should refuse to do that if it doesn't like it.

    > Is it advisable to forcibly shut the machine down,

    Yes.

    > then haul the HD out into an external enclosure so that
    > I can use another computer to look/see what was erased?

    Nope. Just use DBan to erase it instead.
    http://www.dban.org/

    > Will it hurt the HD to interrupt such a (possibly hung) erasing procedure?

    Not if there is no led activity and not even if there was.

    Rod Speed, Jun 12, 2012