Re: E1405 dvd burner replacement

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ben Myers, Oct 1, 2008.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    The DVD burner for this model, like the other E-series Inspirons (E1505, E1705)
    has a straight, flat, very-much-vanilla black front bezel, doesn't it? The
    shape of the bezel is extremely important. There is a new one for sale on eBay
    for $67 including shipping. The OEM model listed is NEC ND-6500A. The Dell
    part number is shown as GH766.

    I've dealt with Centrix Intl vai the internet. Their stuff has always been
    good. They show GH966 at $69 + shipping.

    Used ones are a little less expensive. Not sure what Dell charges.

    The important thing to consider in replacing laptop drives is that the front
    bezel needs to match exactly, especially its shape. Well, maybe it can be a
    different color. There are sometimes little adapters and brackets needed to
    make the drive fit inside the particular laptop chassis. You can always
    scavenge these from the old drive. There are a number of manufacturers of the
    slim laptop DVD/RW, also used in many SFF systems and small 1U or 2U servers.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 1, 2008

  2. Ben Myers

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    > The DVD burner for this model, like the other E-series Inspirons (E1505,
    > E1705)
    > has a straight, flat, very-much-vanilla black front bezel, doesn't it?
    > The
    > shape of the bezel is extremely important. There is a new one for sale on
    > eBay
    > for $67 including shipping. The OEM model listed is NEC ND-6500A. The
    > Dell
    > part number is shown as GH766.
    >
    > I've dealt with Centrix Intl vai the internet. Their stuff has always
    > been
    > good. They show GH966 at $69 + shipping.
    >
    > Used ones are a little less expensive. Not sure what Dell charges.

    <snip>

    As a point of general reference, Dell spare parts had (2) DVDRW replacement
    models for the Inspiron 6000 model; one was priced at $110+, the other at
    $161.

    fwiw.......

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Oct 1, 2008

  3. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Dell's price for the DVD burner is competitive. DO one more thing. Go to Dell
    support, click on warranty information, and enter your service tag. Then look
    at the system's configuration as shipped. You should be able to find the Dell
    part number for the DVD burner.

    Dell has actually done better than many companies, past and present, in
    identifying the same part numbers for use in different models. This makes it
    less expensive for them to order parts for the initial build cycle and to stock
    spare parts. But now and again, they may have the same basic part with
    different numbers used in different models. I think that parts management is
    one of the factors allowing Dell to remain price competitive. By contrast,
    working with old-time DEC boxes used to drive me up the wall, because the exact
    same part was used in two different models with different part number stickers.
    Compaq was the same way, which why the Compaq-DEC marriage was made in hell. Hp
    seems to be carrying forward the same part numbering lunacy.

    Shh! Do not tell Dell that the DVD burner is better than the CD-RW/DVD combo
    drive. They are likely to jack up the price on the DVD burner.

    .... Ben Myers

    <SNIP>

    Ben Myers, Oct 1, 2008