Re: ECS A740GM-M v8.0 dead after bios update

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Paul, Dec 24, 2010.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Valentim Terra wrote:
    > Is it possible to fix this mobo? It's dead now.
    >
    > I can' try the AMIBOOT.ROM trick because this motherboard doesn't have a
    > Floppy slot.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    That board looks like it uses a serial flash (8 pin DIP).
    Sometimes, you'll see a 2x4 header with one pin missing, and
    some kind of programmer can be connected to that header. The first
    such programmer I saw for sale, cost $150.00, but the price on
    such programmmers has dropped since then.

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-135-076-S03?$S640W$

    http://download.ecsusa.com/dlfileecs/manual/mb/p4/A740GM-M/A740GM-M_V80_manual.pdf

    There is an 8 pin DIP, near the Clear CMOS jumper, and that
    looks like your BIOS chip. You'd need to find someone who
    knows how to program it, to put fresh BIOS code in it.

    I don't know if such designs, have a "boot block" for recovery
    or not. As usual, if the boot block is erased by the tool
    you used to do the flash upgrade, then no recovery is possible.
    If the boot block is intact, it might prompt for a new file.
    Some boot block loaders, know about more than the floppy
    diskette, and there may be other options such as CDROM
    or USB flash, as sources of a BIOS file. It depends on the
    sophistication of the boot block code design. (On Asus motherboards,
    a replacement BIOS file may be on the top level of the motherboard
    CD that comes with the product. You pop in the CD, to attempt
    a recovery.)

    With the poor ECS manual, it is hard to tell whether anything
    like that exists or not.

    There are sites which offer pre-programmed BIOS chips.
    Since your 8 pin DIP chip can be pulled from the socket,
    you may be able to plug in another chip. Ideally, you'd
    want the new, pre-programmed chip, to match the part number
    of the old chip, so that future BIOS updates would be possible.
    If you could send the current chip to the company doing
    the flash update, then you'd be assured it would be
    a consistent setup. (Before removing the chip, take note
    of which pin is pin 1. You want to plug the replacement
    chip in, with the same orientation. Rotating the chip
    180 degrees and plugging it in, will fry it.)

    http://www.bios-repair.co.uk/ref/ECS-Elite.html

    " ECS A740GM-M 1.x

    MX25L8005PC-15G "

    That's the wrong revision of motherboard, but gives you an
    idea of what they support. Perhaps a different company like that,
    located closer to you, can help you recover. As long
    as the chip is in a socket, you have more options available
    to you.

    This is a datasheet for that particular flash chip. But it
    doesn't show a "markings" section, so I can't suggest what
    numbers will be printed on the chip itself. When chips get
    smaller, there isn't always room for a proper part number.
    One set of numbers, is the week of production, such as 0823
    for 2008 week 23. Ignore those numbers, and look for some
    portion of a part number instead. Some chips are so tiny,
    the datasheet has a lookup table, to convert from a short
    code printed on the chip, to a full part number. Identification
    of the chip, isn't always that easy.

    http://www.macronix.com/QuickPlace/hq/PageLibrary4825740B00298A3B.nsf/h_Index/3F21BAC2E121E17848257639003A3146/$File/MX25L8005,%203V,%208Mb,%20v2.3.pdf

    ( http://www.macronix.com/QuickPlace/...D482576E00022E6CC/?OpenDocument&EPN=MX25L8005 )

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 24, 2010

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Valentim Terra wrote:
    > Em 24/12/2010 19:36, Paul escreveu:
    >>
    >> That board looks like it uses a serial flash (8 pin DIP).
    >> Sometimes, you'll see a 2x4 header with one pin missing, and
    >> some kind of programmer can be connected to that header. The first
    >> such programmer I saw for sale, cost $150.00, but the price on
    >> such programmmers has dropped since then.
    >>

    > Thanks for all the info on the subject, you couldn't make it more clear.
    >
    > Now I know this mobo belongs to the trash can.
    >
    > Considering the price I paid for this mobo brand new (about 50 dollars).
    > I can't imagine anyone fixing it for me for a reasonable price.
    >
    > It's not about the money obviously, but I prefer to buy a new one.

    Another possibility, is to talk to ECS and see if they offer
    a flashing service. It could be they'll agree to do it, for
    a fee, through their warranty/RMA facility. For example, in
    some countries, Asus will do a re-flash, for about the same
    price as badflash.com would do it. There would be the price
    of shipping as well. And in some cases, it might be covered
    by the warranty (if there is still a warranty on the thing).

    If you like a challenge, there are always projects like this.
    One of the forum participants, managed to flash a board,
    using the parallel port of another computer, as a flasher.
    The trick, is the software driving the parallel port.

    http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=&topic=139099.0

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 25, 2010