Re: email client: POP vs. POP3 differences

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by D Yuniskis, Jun 7, 2010.

  1. D Yuniskis

    D Yuniskis Guest

    Uniden wrote:
    > I'm trying to find a definitive source for the differences between POP
    > and POP3 email clients. Googling has turned up a LOT of noise on the
    > subject.
    >
    > Essentially, can I assume for basic operation that they have no
    > differences? I hope to implement a client like this:
    > http://www.instructables.com/id/Mail-Light-Blink-LEDs-via-USB-to-show-
    > you-have-ma/
    > without having to account for POP/POP3 differences. REALbasic (program
    > source) doesn't indicate that a POP or POP3 service has to be treated
    > any different. The client will operate LEDs based on mail available in
    > the accounts.

    RTFM -- you should be able to come up with the
    latest POP3 and POP RFC's in a few minutes with google...
    Then, see what aspects of the protocols you are relying on and
    how (if at all) they changed