Re: Embedded Basic interpreter recommendations?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Anton Erasmus, Mar 9, 2009.

  1. On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 11:04:03 -0700, "John Speth" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi everybody-
    >
    >This question comes up from time to time from various posters but it never
    >gets an answer that fits my specific needs. Here goes:
    >
    >Would anyone be able to recommend a free embedded basic interpreter with C
    >source code?
    >
    >My intended target is the STM32 which probably has enough RAM for small
    >programs. My intent is to create an embedded controller board with a serial
    >port that will expose a Basic interpreter/monitor to a terminal emulator.
    >The user will be able to interactively enter numbered program lines,
    >save/load the program to/from flash, execute the program, and run Basic
    >commands in immediate mode (non-numbered lines). It's meant to be a tool
    >for interactive experimentation of embedded concepts by non-programmer
    >types. I suppose it's much like a Basic Stamp.
    >
    >I know "free" and all those features above is a tall order but if I can find
    >an extensible package with some of those features it would be good too.

    Does it have to be BASIC ? If not then LUA might be a good option.

    Regards
    Anton Erasmus

    Anton Erasmus, Mar 9, 2009

  2. Anton Erasmus

    Jon Kirwan Guest

    On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:28:40 +0200, Anton Erasmus
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 11:04:03 -0700, "John Speth" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Hi everybody-
    >>
    >>This question comes up from time to time from various posters but it never
    >>gets an answer that fits my specific needs. Here goes:
    >>
    >>Would anyone be able to recommend a free embedded basic interpreter with C
    >>source code?
    >>
    >>My intended target is the STM32 which probably has enough RAM for small
    >>programs. My intent is to create an embedded controller board with a serial
    >>port that will expose a Basic interpreter/monitor to a terminal emulator.
    >>The user will be able to interactively enter numbered program lines,
    >>save/load the program to/from flash, execute the program, and run Basic
    >>commands in immediate mode (non-numbered lines). It's meant to be a tool
    >>for interactive experimentation of embedded concepts by non-programmer
    >>types. I suppose it's much like a Basic Stamp.
    >>
    >>I know "free" and all those features above is a tall order but if I can find
    >>an extensible package with some of those features it would be good too.

    >Does it have to be BASIC ? If not then LUA might be a good option.
    >
    >Regards
    > Anton Erasmus

    I think the "non-programmer types" part of the OP's discussion points
    otherwise.

    Jon

    Jon Kirwan, Mar 9, 2009

  3. Anton Erasmus

    Jon Kirwan Guest

    On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:51:46 +0100, David Brown
    <> wrote:

    >Jon Kirwan wrote:
    >> On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:28:40 +0200, Anton Erasmus
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Does it have to be BASIC ? If not then LUA might be a good option.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Anton Erasmus

    >> I think the "non-programmer types" part of the OP's discussion points
    >> otherwise.
    >>

    >For a non-programmer doing simple commands, Lua is not really any more
    >difficult than Basic. And if you want to do non-simple stuff, it
    >quickly becomes easier.

    I'm not thinking about command line stuff. I've been using c since
    1978 (Unix v6) and BASIC in some form or another since... 1972. So
    similar time periods. I've tried to teach both to non-programmers in
    classrooms where I was a paid teacher (Tektronix classrooms.) And I'm
    talking about __non-programmers__, such as secretaries. I've no
    question in my mind which would be easier to gain some early success
    with. Lua is too similar to c in my mind.

    Jon

    Jon Kirwan, Mar 10, 2009