Re: Embedded Basic interpreter recommendations?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by M.O.B. i L., Mar 9, 2009.

  1. M.O.B. i L.

    M.O.B. i L. Guest

    John Speth wrote:
    > Hi everybody-
    >
    > This question comes up from time to time from various posters but it never
    > gets an answer that fits my specific needs. Here goes:
    >
    > Would anyone be able to recommend a free embedded basic interpreter with C
    > source code?
    >
    > My intended target is the STM32 which probably has enough RAM for small
    > programs. My intent is to create an embedded controller board with a serial
    > port that will expose a Basic interpreter/monitor to a terminal emulator.
    > The user will be able to interactively enter numbered program lines,
    > save/load the program to/from flash, execute the program, and run Basic
    > commands in immediate mode (non-numbered lines). It's meant to be a tool
    > for interactive experimentation of embedded concepts by non-programmer
    > types. I suppose it's much like a Basic Stamp.
    >
    > I know "free" and all those features above is a tall order but if I can find
    > an extensible package with some of those features it would be good too.

    There is this: <http://www.cpustick.com/downloads.htm>. The BASIC
    interpreter is probably written i C, but it's not open source. There is
    a skeleton that is open source.

    I have a STM32 Primer1 and that could possibly run a BASIC interpreter.

    I think BASICs in C for Linux could be ported to embedded systems
    without to much trouble.

    1. Advertising

  2. Jon Kirwan

    Jon Kirwan Guest

    On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 21:29:47 +0100, "M.O.B. i L." <>
    wrote:

    >John Speth wrote:
    >> Hi everybody-
    >>
    >> This question comes up from time to time from various posters but it never
    >> gets an answer that fits my specific needs. Here goes:
    >>
    >> Would anyone be able to recommend a free embedded basic interpreter with C
    >> source code?
    >>
    >> My intended target is the STM32 which probably has enough RAM for small
    >> programs. My intent is to create an embedded controller board with a serial
    >> port that will expose a Basic interpreter/monitor to a terminal emulator.
    >> The user will be able to interactively enter numbered program lines,
    >> save/load the program to/from flash, execute the program, and run Basic
    >> commands in immediate mode (non-numbered lines). It's meant to be a tool
    >> for interactive experimentation of embedded concepts by non-programmer
    >> types. I suppose it's much like a Basic Stamp.
    >>
    >> I know "free" and all those features above is a tall order but if I can find
    >> an extensible package with some of those features it would be good too.

    >There is this: <http://www.cpustick.com/downloads.htm>. The BASIC
    >interpreter is probably written i C, but it's not open source. There is
    >a skeleton that is open source.
    >
    >I have a STM32 Primer1 and that could possibly run a BASIC interpreter.
    >
    >I think BASICs in C for Linux could be ported to embedded systems
    >without to much trouble.

    I would hope you are right. But wouldn't they tend to depend on more
    than just simple serial port I/O services for what they do? Sometimes,
    just the presence of an operating system and support facilities like X
    and POSIX _encourages_ their use, and in doing so entwines them. It's
    worth some looking, though.

    Jon