Re: eSATA cases?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Tristram Scott, May 18, 2009.

  1. Manuel Reimer <-group.org> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > there are several nice SCSI hard drive cases from Sun. Does Sun plan to
    > also offer a eSATA case? Or are they already available?
    >
    > CU
    >
    > Manuel

    Are you thinking of something like the J4200 disk array? Holds 12 SAS or
    SATA disks.

    http://www.sun.com/storage/disk_systems/expansion/4200/index.xml

    We have a couple of these doing service for our databases, working under
    zfs.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

    Tristram Scott, May 18, 2009

  2. Manuel Reimer schrieb:
    > Tristram Scott wrote:
    >> Are you thinking of something like the J4200 disk array? Holds 12 SAS or
    >> SATA disks.

    > No, I'm thinking of a case for *one* hard drive like this one:
    > http://muuseum.at.mt.ut.ee/kogu/011.html
    >
    > CU
    >
    > Manuel

    I've been looking around for a while for a case which can hold two sata
    disks, because this way you can have a mirror, which makes it a perfect
    backup solution for me.

    There is one big problem with this. All cases I have found that can hold
    two disks offer only a single esata port, which is provided by a port
    multiplier. And port multipliers are not yes supported on Solaris and
    Nevada. So I finally ended up getting a regular two disk chassis and
    using a drill...

    - Thomas

    Thomas Maier-Komor, May 20, 2009

  3. Tristram Scott

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2009-05-20, Manuel Reimer <-group.org> wrote:
    > Tristram Scott wrote:
    >> Are you thinking of something like the J4200 disk array? Holds 12 SAS or
    >> SATA disks.

    > No, I'm thinking of a case for *one* hard drive like this one:
    > http://muuseum.at.mt.ut.ee/kogu/011.html

    Of course, that one is for SCA interfaced drives, and they are
    also available for the 50-pin SCSI, and (perhaps) for the 68-pin SCSI.

    To use a SATA drive in there, you would need a bridge card to
    convert the drive's SATA to whichever interface your particular box has.
    I don't know whether there are any such bridge cards, though I do know
    that there are some made by the ACard company which convert IDE (PATA)
    drives to both 68 pin and 50 pin SCSI. I'm using one of these in my
    SB-2000 to make an IDE DVD burner work with the 50-pin SCSI used in the
    computer.

    Now -- I do have a way to use an SATA drive with my SB-2000, but
    it requires a card made for the SB-1500 and SB-2500 -- the one which
    offers several FireWire ports and USB 2.0 ports. This is a box called a
    "docking station" for the drive -- and this particular one offers both
    USB and FireWire. Based on experimentation with my SB-2000, the slowest
    option (other than plugging into the 1.2 USB port built into the system)
    is the built-in FireWire. The next is the USB 2.0 on the card, and the
    fastest is the FireWire on the card. The experiment consisted of
    running "newfs" on a 250 GB SATA drive with each of the three
    interfaces. Based on the results, I would not bother using the built-in
    FireWire, I might use the USB 2.0 on the card, and I would certainly use
    the FireWire on the card.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

    DoN. Nichols, May 20, 2009