Re: Feels Like A Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Impmon, Jul 19, 2008.

  1. Impmon

    Impmon Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:47:18 -0400, "Fievel J Mousekewitz"
    <> wrote:

    >But I'm asking anyway. How are dual and quad core CPU's
    >on Overclocking.
    >And does Intel overclock better, or AMD?

    With current CPU lineupo, it is Intel. Most AMD can do up to 3.2 to
    3.5GHz with vcore adjust and decent cooling. Very few got past 3.5GHz
    and often required extreme cooling solution like LN.

    Intel OTOH many people have gotten better than 3.5GHz with little or
    no change in vcore and some have easily reached 4GHz without resorting
    to expensive cooling set or liquid nitrogen.

    So go Intel if you want better overclocking. AMD is still good vs
    Intel when you consider power use, Intel tended to draw more power
    than AMD.
    Impmon, Jul 19, 2008

  2. Impmon

    peter Guest

    You realize that when you OC the mobo has a lot to do with it...
    So yes generally an Intel Core2duo will OC better then a comparable AMD
    chip..providing you have the
    approbriate mobo to match up to it. I have my Core2 duo OC'd by about 50%
    using a Nvidia 650 chipset MOBO and
    an after market heatpipe cooler with a 120mm fan.
    But in order to achieve that I did need to up voltages slightly...and it
    took awhile to find the proper
    combination of Voltage adjustments and proper airflow thru the case so the
    test program did not
    crash the system or overheat the chip

    pk

    peter, Jul 19, 2008

  3. Impmon

    peter Guest

    Like Len said it is safer to lock the PCI-E
    I am using some lovely 400 Patriot memory and its running in sync with the
    FSB..
    I would check to see exactly what speed its running but that system is at
    home and I am not..
    The newer Intel/Nvidea chipsets are a little more complicated to OC..I would
    suggest doing a Google search
    My mobo is a Gigabyte and was fairly easy to find instructions on OC this
    specific board.

    But like all OC ..its best done in stages and test in between for stability.

    peter

    peter, Jul 19, 2008
  4. Impmon

    Ed Medlin Guest

    >> It is safer to lock the PCI Express bus to its normal value ie 100Mhz (in
    > my
    >> case) .
    >> If it goes up too high you can get corruption writing to the harddisc , I
    >> know I've been there!
    >>
    >> len
    >>

    > Knowing me, I'll probably play with it anyway.
    > But I'm sure I'll still get further locking the thing.
    > I'll probably get lower ram, that's known to be good
    > overclocking momory, then test it by it's self first, if the MB
    > gives me the option, before I see how far the CPU goes.
    > Depending on the settings I had my P4's ram set at, the ram would
    > go unstable before the CPU.
    > One up with that though, if I remember. I was able to get DDR 333
    > up, and over DDR 400. I't a shame I don't have the setup anymore,
    > just to see if it would stay stable turning down the ram and trying to
    > run the CPU at 3434,, just for kicks.... No other reason.
    >
    > :)
    > Fievel.

    The PCI-E bus doesn't have any effect on your OC. You can OC the GPU of your
    video card after you have your desired speeds at the CPU and memory. I have
    a Q6600 (2.4Ghz) running at 3.2Ghz very easily on an Asus Nvidia 680i SLI
    board. I always lock the memory down to it's default speeds and overclock
    the processor first. Then see what my memory will do. I stay pretty
    conservative with my memory since it has much less impact on real-time
    system speed than the processor. On most of today's MBs, the memory and
    processor can be locked together or completely seperated so that increasing
    the speed on one does not effect the other. There are also ratios like 1:1,
    2:1 and 3:1 etc that can be used if you like. I always keep them seperate
    just to keep things easy and have better control. I think you are confusing
    something, since the PCI-E bus and memory are not interconnected. Memory and
    CPU, at least on most OC'ing friendly boards, are also seperate.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Jul 19, 2008
  5. Impmon

    Impmon Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:54:28 -0400, "Fievel J Mousekewitz"
    <> wrote:

    >So we've established that it's pretty much like the AGP days.
    >It don't help anything to overclock the bus on a PCI-E..

    Pretty much yeah, and also keep PCI slots at 33/66MHz. Some cards
    tended to get flaky when they are running at non standard speed.
    Decent mobo should have the option for separate PCI, PCI-e (or AGP)
    overclocking and leave them locked at stock speed.
    Impmon, Jul 20, 2008