Re: GA-8IEXP with 333MHz memory clock?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Paul, Feb 3, 2011.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Russell May wrote:
    > I have a 2002-vintage Gigabyte GA-8IEXP version 1.2 motherboard, now
    > using a 2.4GHz Pentium CPU, 266MHz FSB, BIOS version F8, 1.5GB of
    > PC2700 (333MHz) ECC memory on four DIMMS. The BIOS Setup allows Host
    > to Memory Clock ratios of only 1.5 and 2.0, so the maximum memory
    > speed is only 266MHz without overclocking the CPU. I would like to use
    > 333MHz memory clock, which would require a 2.5 ratio.
    >
    > Are there any suggestions about how do do this? Would it exceed the
    > capability of the 845E chipset, which is rated at 266MHz? Is it
    > possible with the F9 BIOS?

    According to this, there are only two choices (page 23 "Host/DRAM
    Clock Ratio").

    http://oldweb.gigabyte.com.tw/support/user_pdf/e_8iexp_1202_other.pdf

    FSB533 probably gives you DDR266 and DDR200 as options.
    On FSB400, DDR200 would be the only practical option, as
    the even lower setting isn't necessary.

    Those ratios are probably coming from the Northbridge memory
    controller design. And page 17 here, confirms the two choices.

    http://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/29074201.pdf

    If you had three double-sided sticks of RAM installed in the
    system, I wouldn't wish for an extra high memory clock. It
    might not be very stable as a result. If you were running
    one stick of RAM, then you could overclock the CPU a bit and see
    where it goes.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 3, 2011