Re: Hand-Built CPU

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Robert Miles, May 31, 2009.

  1. Robert Miles

    Robert Miles Guest

    "William" <> wrote in message

    > "First of One" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >> Man builds a custom CPU on a wire-wrap board with dozens of simple logic
    >> chips: http://www.stevechamberlin.com/cpu/bmow1/

    [snip]

    > So he used 7400 series logic. That's C-MOS isn't it? I like that stuff,
    > did a lot with that. I could make an oscillator out of two nand gates.
    > Those were the good-old-days. I still got a box of chips somewhere in my
    > hobby room.
    >
    > What fun.
    >
    > William

    The 74C00 series and a few more varieties were CMOS, but the original
    7400 series was TTL instead. I used to have a few dozen tubes of 7400
    series, 74LS00 series, and so on..

    Note that it has a rather low clock rate - currently 2 MHz, with a
    theoretical
    possibility of increasing it to 3 MHz.

    Robert Miles
    Robert Miles, May 31, 2009