Re: HD 4870 problems?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Jonathan Mars, Dec 1, 2008.

  1. Ian D wrote:
    > I've been reading about the HD 48xx cards producing blank
    > screens with Vista and DVI output to some LCD monitors. When
    > you go on some of those forums you get a lot of complainers,
    > so I was wondering if anyone here has an insight to the true
    > scope of this issue. Some said they also have the problem
    > with XP.

    Never had any such problem using DVI on both XP and Vista64. Maybe the
    DVI cable they are using is the problem. My Samsung 226bw shipped with a
    single link DVI cable and current video cards need dual link cable.
    Maybe that is their issue?

    Jonathan Mars, Dec 1, 2008

  2. Jonathan Mars

    Anton Ertl Guest

    Jonathan Mars <> writes:
    >Maybe the
    >DVI cable they are using is the problem. My Samsung 226bw shipped with a
    >single link DVI cable and current video cards need dual link cable.

    You need a dual-link cable (and a dual-link-capable video card) only
    if you want to drive a monitor that can proccess a dual-link signal,
    and you want a resolution beyond what single-link DVI supports (i.e.,
    beyond 1920x1200).

    So for your 22" monitor with a maximum resolution of 1680x1050, a
    single-link cable is sufficient (that's why the monitor came with
    one), and a dual-link cable would not help, because the second link
    will be inactive at the resolution you are using, and the monitor
    probably does not even connect to the second link.

    - anton
    Most things have to be believed to be seen

    Anton Ertl, Dec 2, 2008

  3. Anton Ertl wrote:

    > You need a dual-link cable (and a dual-link-capable video card) only
    > if you want to drive a monitor that can proccess a dual-link signal,
    > and you want a resolution beyond what single-link DVI supports (i.e.,
    > beyond 1920x1200).
    >
    > So for your 22" monitor with a maximum resolution of 1680x1050, a
    > single-link cable is sufficient (that's why the monitor came with
    > one), and a dual-link cable would not help, because the second link
    > will be inactive at the resolution you are using, and the monitor
    > probably does not even connect to the second link.
    >
    > - anton

    My monitor is only capable of 1680x1050 but had to use dual link cable
    or I got the black screen. That was with one of those 7950GX2 video
    cards so borrowed a friends dual link cable and it worked fine. Ended up
    buying my own dual link cable and that is all I have used since.

    Jonathan Mars, Dec 4, 2008