Re: HD3850 AGP

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Hubert H.P. Wachter, Aug 28, 2009.

  1. Hubert H.P. Wachter, Aug 28, 2009

  2. Hubert H.P. Wachter

    Mark West Guest

    Hubert H.P. Wachter wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 06:20:12 +0100, "Kurt Ayrez"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Should CCC 9.8 work with the HD3850 AGP card.
    >>
    >> I have 9.6 running but when I tried upgrading it said I have no hardware
    >> capable of using this software.

    > You need to use this:
    > http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPHotfix.aspx

    Agreed, hotfix drivers only.

    I'm sticking with 9.3 though; much better all-round performance with
    this version on my (X2 4800+) system when compared to later 9.x releases.

    Mark

    Mark West, Aug 28, 2009

  3. Hubert H.P. Wachter

    Craig Coope Guest

    On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 18:18:59 +0100, "Kurt Ayrez"
    <> wrote:

    >"Hubert H.P. Wachter" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 06:20:12 +0100, "Kurt Ayrez"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Should CCC 9.8 work with the HD3850 AGP card.
    >>>
    >>>I have 9.6 running but when I tried upgrading it said I have no hardware
    >>>capable of using this software.

    >> You need to use this:
    >> http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPHotfix.aspx

    >unfortunately it will not cure my monitors lack of ability in setting 1680 x
    >1050 so I will wait until Samsung sort out the problem...

    Let me guess....When you have this setting it scrolls about your
    desktop?

    --
    The Zero ST

    Craig Coope, Aug 29, 2009
  4. Hubert H.P. Wachter

    Craig Coope Guest

    On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 19:41:55 +0100, "Kurt Ayrez"
    <> wrote:

    >"Craig Coope" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 18:18:59 +0100, "Kurt Ayrez"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Hubert H.P. Wachter" <> wrote in message

    >>>unfortunately it will not cure my monitors lack of ability in setting 1680
    >>>1050 so I will wait until Samsung sort out the problem...
    >>>

    >> Let me guess....When you have this setting it scrolls about your
    >> desktop?
    >>
    >> --
    >> The Zero ST

    >when I have 1680x1050 set I have to scroll the screen left and right to see
    >all the screen. Samsung recently replaced the panel under warranty and the
    >replacement, though 1 month newer than the old, is lacking the latest
    >firmware. Samsung are due to replace it or give me a brand new one.

    I have a SyncMaster 226BW 22" and suffered from the same problem.
    Installing drivers didn't help. It seems the monitor doesn't send the
    EDID needed. I spent days trying to sort it and then managed to using
    ATI's CCC. There is a setting with loads of "supported" resolutions*
    or something. I seem to remember it was greyed out at first so I had
    to manually pick my resolution and it forced my monitor to take it.

    I don't have CCC installed anymore so I can't point you in the right
    place but I'm very sure you have the same problem I had.

    *and I don't mean on the usual select screen resolution screen.

    --
    The Zero ST

    Craig Coope, Aug 29, 2009
  5. Hubert H.P. Wachter

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Kurt Ayrez" <> wrote:

    >"Craig Coope" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 18:18:59 +0100, "Kurt Ayrez"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Hubert H.P. Wachter" <> wrote in message

    >>>unfortunately it will not cure my monitors lack of ability in setting 1680
    >>>1050 so I will wait until Samsung sort out the problem...
    >>>

    >> Let me guess....When you have this setting it scrolls about your
    >> desktop?
    >>
    >> --
    >> The Zero ST

    >when I have 1680x1050 set I have to scroll the screen left and right to see
    >all the screen. Samsung recently replaced the panel under warranty and the
    >replacement, though 1 month newer than the old, is lacking the latest
    >firmware. Samsung are due to replace it or give me a brand new one.

    Are you using DVI or VGA ports on the monitor. You need to use the native
    resolution that your monitor is designed for. What model is it? My Acer 24"
    demands 1920-1200

    GMAN, Aug 29, 2009
  6. Hubert H.P. Wachter

    Craig Coope Guest

    On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 19:10:38 GMT,
    (GMAN) wrote:

    >In article <>, "Kurt Ayrez" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Craig Coope" <> wrote in message

    >>> Let me guess....When you have this setting it scrolls about your
    >>> desktop?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> The Zero ST

    >>when I have 1680x1050 set I have to scroll the screen left and right to see
    >>all the screen. Samsung recently replaced the panel under warranty and the
    >>replacement, though 1 month newer than the old, is lacking the latest
    >>firmware. Samsung are due to replace it or give me a brand new one.
    >>

    >Are you using DVI or VGA ports on the monitor. You need to use the native
    >resolution that your monitor is designed for. What model is it? My Acer 24"
    >demands 1920-1200

    I don't think that's his problem....If he used a non-native res it'll
    still display without scrolling left and right but it'll look blurry
    and awful...

    --
    The Zero ST

    Craig Coope, Aug 29, 2009
  7. Hubert H.P. Wachter

    Craig Coope Guest

    On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 20:21:31 +0100, "Kurt Ayrez"
    <> wrote:

    >"Craig Coope" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 19:41:55 +0100, "Kurt Ayrez"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Craig Coope" <> wrote in message

    >>>when I have 1680x1050 set I have to scroll the screen left and right to
    >>>see
    >>>all the screen. Samsung recently replaced the panel under warranty and the
    >>>replacement, though 1 month newer than the old, is lacking the latest
    >>>firmware. Samsung are due to replace it or give me a brand new one.
    >>>

    >> I have a SyncMaster 226BW 22" and suffered from the same problem.
    >> Installing drivers didn't help. It seems the monitor doesn't send the
    >> EDID needed. I spent days trying to sort it and then managed to using
    >> ATI's CCC. There is a setting with loads of "supported" resolutions*
    >> or something. I seem to remember it was greyed out at first so I had
    >> to manually pick my resolution and it forced my monitor to take it.
    >>
    >> I don't have CCC installed anymore so I can't point you in the right
    >> place but I'm very sure you have the same problem I had.
    >>
    >> *and I don't mean on the usual select screen resolution screen.
    >>
    >> --
    >> The Zero ST

    >CCC stops at 1600 x 1200 which it reads from the EDID as you say. Loading
    >the Samsung software that came with the monitor 1680 x 1050 is available in
    >Windoz display properties. Once 1680 x 1050 is set here it then appears in
    >CCC. Using Force makes absolutely no difference. There are ways of patching
    >the EDID by overwriting the EPROM's but that would invalidate my warranty.
    >Samsung have it all in hand and CS are due back to me next week. Its the 4th
    >monitor under my 3 year warranty and the engineer stated he thought they
    >would provide me a new one instead of refurbished. This is because they
    >don't know which of the referbs have the correct EDID firmware.

    Well the 1600 x 1200 max rings a very loud bell for me.

    I'm pretty sure if was this screen...
    http://img187.imageshack.us/i/ccc2dl9.jpg/#q=ati ccc edid

    Uncheck the EDID and select the max resolution there? If not then it
    deffo a drop down menu like that. It may be in Displays Manager.

    I guess if you're getting it swapped it's not that big an issue. I
    just *know* it could be sorted before then. Oh well!

    --
    The Zero ST

    Craig Coope, Aug 29, 2009
  8. Hubert H.P. Wachter

    Craig Coope Guest

    On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 20:51:37 +0100, "Kurt Ayrez"
    <> wrote:

    >> Well the 1600 x 1200 max rings a very loud bell for me.
    >>
    >> I'm pretty sure if was this screen...
    >> http://img187.imageshack.us/i/ccc2dl9.jpg/#q=ati ccc edid
    >>
    >> Uncheck the EDID and select the max resolution there? If not then it
    >> deffo a drop down menu like that. It may be in Displays Manager.
    >>
    >> I guess if you're getting it swapped it's not that big an issue. I
    >> just *know* it could be sorted before then. Oh well!
    >>
    >> --
    >> The Zero ST

    >what version on CCC is that, mine (9.6) does not look the same.

    I'm not sure...I just found that screen grab online. Mine didn't look
    like that either. I'm sure my CCC was grey and not white.

    All I remember is the setting was on the same window as the EDID stuff
    and I'm pretty sure I had to check or uncheck a box and then select
    the resolution myself. I'm sure it is the same as the picture I posted
    because it would make total sense. Your monitor now is displaying 1680
    x 1050 on a resolution of 1600 x 1200 because CCC doesn't know your
    monitor can do 1680.

    --
    The Zero ST

    Craig Coope, Aug 29, 2009
  9. Hubert H.P. Wachter

    Craig Coope Guest

    On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:06:43 +0100, "Kurt Ayrez"
    <> wrote:

    >"Craig Coope" <> wrote in message

    >>>what version on CCC is that, mine (9.6) does not look the same.

    >> I'm not sure...I just found that screen grab online. Mine didn't look
    >> like that either. I'm sure my CCC was grey and not white.
    >>
    >> All I remember is the setting was on the same window as the EDID stuff
    >> and I'm pretty sure I had to check or uncheck a box and then select
    >> the resolution myself. I'm sure it is the same as the picture I posted
    >> because it would make total sense. Your monitor now is displaying 1680
    >> x 1050 on a resolution of 1600 x 1200 because CCC doesn't know your
    >> monitor can do 1680.
    >>
    >> --
    >> The Zero ST

    >It transpires the settings you show are for the VGA port. I and it appears a
    >few thousand others are having the res problem when using the DVI port.
    >Bloody odd cos my last monitor had no problems whatsoever and it was the
    >same model but one month older.

    The screengrab is probalby for VGA but the one I used myself wasn't
    because I have never used VGA to connect to the monitor. Do you have a
    Samsung?

    --
    The Zero ST

    Craig Coope, Aug 29, 2009
  10. Hubert H.P. Wachter

    Craig Coope Guest

    On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:17:44 +0100, Craig Coope
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:06:43 +0100, "Kurt Ayrez"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>"Craig Coope" <> wrote in message

    >>> I'm not sure...I just found that screen grab online. Mine didn't look
    >>> like that either. I'm sure my CCC was grey and not white.
    >>>
    >>> All I remember is the setting was on the same window as the EDID stuff
    >>> and I'm pretty sure I had to check or uncheck a box and then select
    >>> the resolution myself. I'm sure it is the same as the picture I posted
    >>> because it would make total sense. Your monitor now is displaying 1680
    >>> x 1050 on a resolution of 1600 x 1200 because CCC doesn't know your
    >>> monitor can do 1680.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> The Zero ST

    >>It transpires the settings you show are for the VGA port. I and it appears a
    >>few thousand others are having the res problem when using the DVI port.
    >>Bloody odd cos my last monitor had no problems whatsoever and it was the
    >>same model but one month older.
    >>

    >The screengrab is probalby for VGA but the one I used myself wasn't
    >because I have never used VGA to connect to the monitor. Do you have a
    >Samsung?

    Duhh.....sorry...Obviously you have.

    --
    The Zero ST

    Craig Coope, Aug 29, 2009
  11. Hubert H.P. Wachter

    <> wrote:

    >"Craig Coope" <> wrote in message

    >>>what version on CCC is that, mine (9.6) does not look the same.

    >> I'm not sure...I just found that screen grab online. Mine didn't look
    >> like that either. I'm sure my CCC was grey and not white.
    >>
    >> All I remember is the setting was on the same window as the EDID stuff
    >> and I'm pretty sure I had to check or uncheck a box and then select
    >> the resolution myself. I'm sure it is the same as the picture I posted
    >> because it would make total sense. Your monitor now is displaying 1680
    >> x 1050 on a resolution of 1600 x 1200 because CCC doesn't know your
    >> monitor can do 1680.
    >>
    >> --
    >> The Zero ST

    >It transpires the settings you show are for the VGA port. I and it appears a
    >few thousand others are having the res problem when using the DVI port.
    >Bloody odd cos my last monitor had no problems whatsoever and it was the
    >same model but one month older.

    when you press your monitor's menu button and scroll down to see what
    resolution, what is it saying?

    --
    The Zero ST

    Craig Coope, Aug 29, 2009
  12. Hubert H.P. Wachter

    Craig Coope Guest

    On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:20:45 +0100, "Kurt Ayrez"
    <> wrote:

    >"Craig Coope" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:17:44 +0100, Craig Coope
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>The screengrab is probalby for VGA but the one I used myself wasn't
    >>>because I have never used VGA to connect to the monitor. Do you have a
    >>>Samsung?

    >> Duhh.....sorry...Obviously you have.
    >>
    >> --
    >> The Zero ST

    >I think I will wait on the new monitor which I hope will be a 2443BW...

    OK lol...Good luck! Back to my beer I think!

    --
    The Zero ST

    Craig Coope, Aug 29, 2009
  13. Hubert H.P. Wachter

    Craig Coope Guest

    On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:33:29 +0100, "Kurt Ayrez"
    <> wrote:

    >"Craig Coope" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:06:43 +0100, "Kurt Ayrez"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Craig Coope" <> wrote in message

    >>>It transpires the settings you show are for the VGA port. I and it appears
    >>>few thousand others are having the res problem when using the DVI port.
    >>>Bloody odd cos my last monitor had no problems whatsoever and it was the
    >>>same model but one month older.
    >>>

    >> when you press your monitor's menu button and scroll down to see what
    >> resolution, what is it saying?
    >>
    >> --
    >> The Zero ST

    >1280 x 960 at the moment for the best viewing. Otherwise 1600 x 1200 max
    >when allowed.

    Yeah I remember because 1280 was the only other that fit and looked
    ok. I also remember 1600 x 1200 was that the montitor would display on
    1680 x 1050. I don't have any other info to help you with. If your CCC
    is totally different to my old one then maybe you don't have the same
    settings. I guess you'll just have to wait for your replacement!

    --
    The Zero ST

    Craig Coope, Aug 29, 2009
  14. [ot]

    > You need to use this:
    > http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPHotfix.aspx

    Is there something called "ColdFix"? :)

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Ubuntu 9.04) Linux 2.6.30.5

    Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B), Aug 30, 2009