Re: Help on GM5638E

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Postman Delivers, May 26, 2008.

  1. Danny J submitted this idea :
    > Hey Everyone,
    >
    > Name is Danny and new to this and first time post. I'm looking for a
    > couple of answers on this system. The computer i have is a Gateway
    > GM5638E and its not on there site, but it is on there support. Anyways
    > I'm looking to make this system support multi monitors (2 to be exact).
    > I decided on the EVGA GeForce 8800GT overclocked. My question is will i
    > need to get a better PSU for this? I'm coming from what came stock,
    > which is a GeForce 8500GT and what i believe is Delta 400 Watt Power
    > Supply. I was thinking of the PC Power & Cooling 750watt red power
    > supply.
    >
    > 'PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750-Watt Quad PCI-Express SATA-Ready Red
    > Power Supply S75CF at TigerDirect.com' (http://tinyurl.com/57dzk9)
    >
    > Also if anyone could provide a website with some helpful hints, tips,
    > upgrade suggestions for this system that would be awesome!!

    * * *
    Danny J

    Since no-one else has stepped up to provide some info! I always run ATI
    Video cards, but try to provide my experence.

    Does the EVGA GeForce 8800GT pull it power directly from a 12 volt
    rail, or does the model you have chosen pull the power via the PCI-e
    slot/motherboard?

    I prefer the 6/8-pin power connector on the video card rather than
    power taken from the motherboard. I spent some time the other week
    looking at all the motherboards pinned to the wall in my locale Fry's
    Electronic brick and mortar location. It was interesting to see that
    some of the newer motherboards are placing a power source for the PCI-e
    slot on the motherboard. I found that more than 50% of the latest AMD
    motherboards have a molex or 6/8 pin power connector for this slot.
    Did not look at the Intel style Motherboards.

    I have a AMD quad processor on a ECS A770M and I can not power a
    Diamond Viper Radeon X1650, there is just not enough power left on this
    particular motherboard...

    I tried a neighbor’s Visiontek Radeon HD3850 in the PCI-e Slot and use
    one of the PCI-e 6 pin cables in my modular 500-watt power supply and
    it runs well. I tried a ATI 3650 and could not boot the system, the
    Radeon X1650 Pro will boot but I crash the system at will trying to use
    the Video Card with a game... I would not think you need a 700 watt
    power supply unless you are setting up a dual Video card system...

    I would look at the Power Supply reviews, and look at a modular Power
    Supply that can supply the power you need on the 12 volt rails... Make
    a few phone calls, they are cheap compared to the operating cost a
    large Power Supply... 4.2 100 watt bulbs generate a lot less of heat
    than 7 bulbs...

    The Power Supply you listed has a crazy amount of cables, I would look
    at a modular unit to reduce the cables in your case, and the air flow
    problems you could be creating with so many cables... I would not
    think you can place that many cables under your motherboard for a clean
    look, maybe you are not running a glass sided case or go to lan
    parties...

    If you do not have a motherboard with the extra power connector for the
    PCI-e slot, I would make certain you get a Video Card with the power
    connector on the card...

    My two cents

    JR the postman
    Postman Delivers, May 26, 2008