Re: Help with Intel Mobo and Fan...

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Uncle Vinnie, Aug 13, 2005.

  1. Uncle Vinnie

    Uncle Vinnie Guest

    I wanted to thank you folks for all your help, 'kony', etc..

    The problem I had was that it was 2 problems! Undersized power supply plus
    the need to run the 1.2 piii Tualatin at 1.55 volts - at least.

    Swapping out the 145 Power supply for a larger one would still result in
    BSOD because the Upgradware adapter locks the 1.2piii at 1.50v with a Vcore
    of
    1.475, which happens to work fine in my Compaq but not my Intel D815EEA.

    Switching the Upgradware 370 for the LinLin adapter, even moving the jumpers
    to a higher voltage of 1.55+, still was not good without a larger Power
    Supply- the Tully, I guess, needs more power.

    Seems all I read here, help at the Overclockers N/G, plus what caught my
    attention at PowerLeap's site, held the
    answer - their same adapter locks voltage at 1.55, not at 1.475 as
    Upgradeware's does.

    I got a larger Power Supply from New Egg- RaidMax 380 ($8 after rebate, not
    bad!). I also set the LinLin adapter jumpers at 1.55, which is what the
    m'board shows, with a vcore of 1.52 and change... (I have Intel Monitor).

    I can't say what the exact problem was, who knows ( it's been suggested the
    regulator in the 815).
    All I know is that it works!

    I would imagine I could get creative and up the voltage a little further to
    1.6 or 1.65, but I am
    satisfied, it has been running steady for the past few days.

    This has been a frustrating ordeal - 2 years... 2 years...maybe a little
    more...

    Just a quick note, thank you for your help and patience!

    (As you may recall, I have the right BIOS, swapped memory sticks, ran
    memtest, swapped motherboards (D815EEA for D815EEA), cards, processors,
    Upgradware adapters (which they claim works, whihc I now highly doubt,
    unless it's a certain rev), etc...)

    "kony" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > an insufficient (or defective, etc) power supply can in fact
    > damage other parts, those other parts can even "die" from
    > that before the power supply itself degrades enough to force
    > replacement. Basically when it's insufficient capacity, the
    > voltage drops more per any load and the capacitors on other
    > components are depleted much moreso as they had higher
    > potential still. That wears them out faster.
    >

    >>Maybe one driver???

    > You can certainly disable anything you can do without.
    > It's not quite clear how frequent this (any particular
    > aspect of the multiple failures: BSOD, shut down, and
    > failure-to-start) occurs, if there is any commonality to any
    > or all of them. Sometimes it can be something as simple as
    > two apps that don't get along- for the BSOD at least, not
    > the shut down or failure to turn on.
    >
    > If I were putting odds down, the failure to start would be
    > either power (are you sure the replacement PSU is
    > good/adequate?), or motherboard. However, odds are just
    > that- if I replied this way to 10 people and odds were 9:1,
    > I might be wrong one of those times.
    >

    >>This has been going on a year and a half

    > This same problem for a year and a half?
    > I dont' recall at the moment, but are you running most
    > recent motherboard bios?
    >
    > If possible, I'd consider making a backup of the current OS
    > partition and doing a clean OS install as a testbed, then
    > adding no drivers yet, trying to reproduce the problem and
    > gradually adding back drivers. Other options include one of
    > those boot-from-CD linux distros to try another OS, or
    > running something like memtest86 for a day, Prime 95's
    > Torture Test for several hours, 3DMark (whichever version is
    > appropriate for your age/performance-level of video card,
    > perhaps 3DMark '99 or 2000 if the video is as old as the
    > board).
    >

    >> and I cannot
    >>for the life of me figure out what it could be. Even Viewer has
    >>nothing...
    >>right click my computer, and there are no 'exclamation points'...where
    >>else
    >>can I look???

    > Can you monitor temps and voltages?
    > You might see if MBM5 (motherboard monitor) supports your
    > system and if it'll log the parameters... though a
    > multimeter is nice for voltage readings too.
    >
    > Is it possible the board is shorting out on a misplaced
    > motherboard tray standoff? If all else fails, pull the
    > board and set it up on a desk in a minimalistic
    > configuration.
    >

    >>Thank you.. I am literally at whit's end....

    > Sometimes it's simply easier to swap in other parts... and
    > other times a box gets old enough that it's not worthwhile
    > to hunt down the parts. If all else fails, "most" of the
    > parts are probably good still, you could always ebay a large
    > chunk of parts "as is", perhaps with a note about
    > "something" being amiss but that it's at least working
    > enough that someone with the spare parts could figure it

    1. Advertising

  2. kony

    kony Guest

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:39:51 -0400, "Uncle Vinnie"
    <> wrote:

    >I wanted to thank you folks for all your help, 'kony', etc..
    >
    >The problem I had was that it was 2 problems! Undersized power supply plus
    >the need to run the 1.2 piii Tualatin at 1.55 volts - at least.
    >
    >Swapping out the 145 Power supply for a larger one would still result in
    >BSOD because the Upgradware adapter locks the 1.2piii at 1.50v with a Vcore
    >of
    >1.475, which happens to work fine in my Compaq but not my Intel D815EEA.
    >
    >Switching the Upgradware 370 for the LinLin adapter, even moving the jumpers
    >to a higher voltage of 1.55+, still was not good without a larger Power
    >Supply- the Tully, I guess, needs more power.

    Yes it may, though I don't recall what the previous CPU was.
    I have a box here still running a Tualatin Celeron 1.1
    overclocked to 1.5GHz (vcore increased to 1.65V, IIRC) on a
    150W mATX PSU, but the system mainboard has integrated
    video, only one HDD and CDRW- not much of a load.

    >Seems all I read here, help at the Overclockers N/G, plus what caught my
    >attention at PowerLeap's site, held the
    >answer - their same adapter locks voltage at 1.55, not at 1.475 as
    >Upgradeware's does.
    >
    >I got a larger Power Supply from New Egg- RaidMax 380 ($8 after rebate, not
    >bad!). I also set the LinLin adapter jumpers at 1.55, which is what the
    >m'board shows, with a vcore of 1.52 and change... (I have Intel Monitor).

    While you got a good deal on the PSU, it's not a very good
    PSU. It's essentially an old-school generic that's worth
    around 200W, has poor fan, and poor air intake (unless
    they've recently added cutouts on the underside, previously
    they've only had small slits on the rear of the unit.

    Even so, it may still provide as much useful service as the
    original, it could merely be a situation where you'd get
    another 3 years out of it which is a reasonable extension of
    the system's lifespan for $8. However, if the entire case
    cooling is done by _only_ the power supply exhaust fan, I
    would not trust their fan in that role.

    >I can't say what the exact problem was, who knows ( it's been suggested the
    >regulator in the 815).
    >All I know is that it works!

    Sometimes the socket adapters do require using a little
    higher vcore, though it could have even been a combination
    of that and the PSU.

    >I would imagine I could get creative and up the voltage a little further to
    >1.6 or 1.65, but I am
    >satisfied, it has been running steady for the past few days.

    No need if it's stable. I'd run Prime95's Torture Test for
    at least a couple hours to verify proper error-free
    operation.

    >This has been a frustrating ordeal - 2 years... 2 years...maybe a little
    >more...
    >
    >Just a quick note, thank you for your help and patience!
    >
    >(As you may recall, I have the right BIOS, swapped memory sticks, ran
    >memtest, swapped motherboards (D815EEA for D815EEA), cards, processors,
    >Upgradware adapters (which they claim works, whihc I now highly doubt,
    >unless it's a certain rev), etc...)

    IIRC, they also have compatibility lists per motherboard,
    perhaps that particular make and revision of board wasn't as
    suitable as others? Doesn't really matter now so long as
    it's working for you.

    1. Advertising

  3. Uncle Vinnie

    Uncle Vinnie Guest

    "kony" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:39:51 -0400, "Uncle Vinnie"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I wanted to thank you folks for all your help, 'kony', etc..
    >>
    >>The problem I had was that it was 2 problems! Undersized power supply
    >>plus
    >>the need to run the 1.2 piii Tualatin at 1.55 volts - at least.
    >>
    >>Swapping out the 145 Power supply for a larger one would still result in
    >>BSOD because the Upgradware adapter locks the 1.2piii at 1.50v with a
    >>Vcore
    >>of
    >>1.475, which happens to work fine in my Compaq but not my Intel D815EEA.
    >>
    >>Switching the Upgradware 370 for the LinLin adapter, even moving the
    >>jumpers
    >>to a higher voltage of 1.55+, still was not good without a larger Power
    >>Supply- the Tully, I guess, needs more power.

    > Yes it may, though I don't recall what the previous CPU was.
    > I have a box here still running a Tualatin Celeron 1.1
    > overclocked to 1.5GHz (vcore increased to 1.65V, IIRC) on a
    > 150W mATX PSU, but the system mainboard has integrated
    > video, only one HDD and CDRW- not much of a load.

    The original CPU was 800 mhz Coppermine, which ran fine....

    >>Seems all I read here, help at the Overclockers N/G, plus what caught my
    >>attention at PowerLeap's site, held the
    >>answer - their same adapter locks voltage at 1.55, not at 1.475 as
    >>Upgradeware's does.
    >>
    >>I got a larger Power Supply from New Egg- RaidMax 380 ($8 after rebate,
    >>not
    >>bad!). I also set the LinLin adapter jumpers at 1.55, which is what the
    >>m'board shows, with a vcore of 1.52 and change... (I have Intel Monitor).

    > While you got a good deal on the PSU, it's not a very good
    > PSU. It's essentially an old-school generic that's worth
    > around 200W, has poor fan, and poor air intake (unless
    > they've recently added cutouts on the underside, previously
    > they've only had small slits on the rear of the unit.
    >
    > Even so, it may still provide as much useful service as the
    > original, it could merely be a situation where you'd get
    > another 3 years out of it which is a reasonable extension of
    > the system's lifespan for $8. However, if the entire case
    > cooling is done by _only_ the power supply exhaust fan, I
    > would not trust their fan in that role.

    I have to agree- I was disappointed when I opened the box.. the PSU is very
    lighweight, has only holes in the back- poor fan system. However, I do have
    an intake fan in the front of the case, and an oversized Intel heatsink/fan
    on the CPU. Intel's Active Monitor Software seems to indicate all is
    running fine.. It's supposedly rated at 380 Watts... thought I doubt it....
    200 seems quite low, BUT anything over the 145 I had is an improvement... it
    definitely runs more accurately voltage-wise, at least according to my
    software... it's dead on at 12.0 volts, etc...

    >>I can't say what the exact problem was, who knows ( it's been suggested
    >>the
    >>regulator in the 815).
    >>All I know is that it works!

    > Sometimes the socket adapters do require using a little
    > higher vcore, though it could have even been a combination
    > of that and the PSU.
    >

    >>I would imagine I could get creative and up the voltage a little further
    >>1.6 or 1.65, but I am
    >>satisfied, it has been running steady for the past few days.

    > No need if it's stable. I'd run Prime95's Torture Test for
    > at least a couple hours to verify proper error-free
    > operation.
    >

    >>This has been a frustrating ordeal - 2 years... 2 years...maybe a little
    >>more...
    >>
    >>Just a quick note, thank you for your help and patience!
    >>
    >>(As you may recall, I have the right BIOS, swapped memory sticks, ran
    >>memtest, swapped motherboards (D815EEA for D815EEA), cards, processors,
    >>Upgradware adapters (which they claim works, whihc I now highly doubt,
    >>unless it's a certain rev), etc...)

    > IIRC, they also have compatibility lists per motherboard,
    > perhaps that particular make and revision of board wasn't as
    > suitable as others? Doesn't really matter now so long as
    > it's working for you.

    To the end, Upgradware claims their adapter works with the D815EEA- I
    strongly doubt it after going through 2 boards... unless, of course, there
    are certain revisions, which Upgradware does not indicate... Powerleap makes
    the same claim however their adapter runs at 1.55, which is what I found to
    work... also, I was told theirs also includes a voltage regulator...
    Powerleap, apparently, has done their homework...