Re: How find if new motherboard chipset supported in Linux kernel

Discussion in 'Abit' started by James Harris, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. James Harris

    James Harris Guest

    Can anyone tell me how to check for mainboard Linux support? I cannot
    find the two motherboards below (which have eight or more SATA-II
    connectors) on any hardware compatibility lists. Any pointers would be
    appreciated.

    Especially, the Gigabyte mainboard has nVidia 590 chipset. I have an
    idea this MAY be supported in recent Linux kernels but even the kernel
    websites I found didn't help. Or, can I expect nForce 4 drivers to work
    with the 590 - and how is one expected to find out.....?

    James Harris, Nov 13, 2006

  2. [Note: Follow-ups set to comp.os.linux.hardware since my comments are
    specific to Linux.]

    James Harris wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me how to check for mainboard Linux support? I cannot
    > find the two motherboards below (which have eight or more SATA-II
    > connectors) on any hardware compatibility lists. Any pointers would be
    > appreciated.

    The brand/model of motherboard doesn't matter. What counts is the
    chipset on the board.

    One of the most comprehensive sites for info on SATA support under Linux
    is http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html. Unfortunately, the
    chipsets on the boards you mention are all very new, and consequently
    not yet on the list. There's a chance they'll work with drivers for
    older, similar chipsets. There's a chance the manufacturer has changed
    things enough that a completely new driver will be needed. You either
    have to try and see for yourself or wait for information to be posted.

    In many cases, searching Google/Google Groups is the only way to get
    information about very new chipsets. Doing so suggests that the Intel
    ICH8R you mentioned isn't supported yet, but the JMicron is supported in
    the very newest Linux kernels. No word on the nForce 590

    In short, it looks like the information you're seeking just doesn't
    exist at the moment.

    John-Paul Stewart, Nov 13, 2006

  3. James Harris

    wayne Guest

    This from the gigabyte web site

    # Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors,
    please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party
    website.

    So that is where to check

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.11.html

    wayne, Nov 14, 2006
  4. James Harris

    James Harris Guest

    wayne wrote:
    > This from the gigabyte web site
    >
    > # Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors,
    > please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party
    > website.
    >
    > So that is where to check
    >
    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.11.html

    Yes, I saw that ... and it leads to a products supported page which
    lists nForce as far as nForce 4, not 590, but it doesn't say how far
    the chipsets are compatible, and whether the 590 will run on nForce 4
    drivers.... or if they will, which parts.

    James Harris, Nov 16, 2006