Re: How smooth is your AMD Athlon 2200+ with a GeForce4 Ti4200?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Bigguy, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. Bigguy

    Bigguy Guest

    Try with no AF or AA.... should run mighty smooth.

    Also try with a fixed size swap file and then defrag....

    AF + AA enabled is a major strain on the graphics card - Radeon Pro is a bit
    better with full AA?

    Guy

    Bigguy, Jul 29, 2003

  2. Bigguy

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    I can run at 1024x768 with 2XAA and 4XAF, but I prefer 800x600. I can run
    the game settings maxed out at 1024x768, 2XAA, 4XAF, but there might be a
    couple of places where the framerate might dip below 42fps. I want the graphics
    to be the best they can, with a good framerate. To me that is 42fps or higher.
    Also the visual difference between 8XAF and 4XAF is slight, but the fps hit is
    high. I tested this with screenshots from Wolf3D. Going to a newer FX card
    might help with higher AA and AF settings, as someone mentioned but the
    increase in framerate won't be all that much. Also I believe wold3d is very cpu
    dependent. The only way your gonna see a very high improvement would be to get
    one of the latest cards like the 5900 or ATI 9700/9800 radeon, but then your
    cpu would be a big bottleneck for cpu dependent games.

    PRIVATE1964, Jul 29, 2003

  3. Bigguy

    Guest

    PRIVATE1964 <> wrote:
    > I can run at 1024x768 with 2XAA and 4XAF, but I prefer 800x600. I can run

    Heh, I can't stand 800x600 unless it good old Diablo. I like high resolutions at
    1024x768 and 1152x768 depending on the tiny fonts since I only have a 17" CRT
    monitor.

    > the game settings maxed out at 1024x768, 2XAA, 4XAF, but there might be a
    > couple of places where the framerate might dip below 42fps. I want the graphics
    > to be the best they can, with a good framerate. To me that is 42fps or higher.
    > Also the visual difference between 8XAF and 4XAF is slight, but the fps hit is
    > high. I tested this with screenshots from Wolf3D. Going to a newer FX card
    > might help with higher AA and AF settings, as someone mentioned but the
    > increase in framerate won't be all that much. Also I believe wold3d is very cpu
    > dependent. The only way your gonna see a very high improvement would be to get
    > one of the latest cards like the 5900 or ATI 9700/9800 radeon, but then your
    > cpu would be a big bottleneck for cpu dependent games.

    Yeah, I wonder if it is even worth upgrading my video card.
    --
    "He who dislikes aardvarks was an ant in his former life." --unknown
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | E-mail: NT or NT
    \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )

    , Jul 30, 2003
  4. Bigguy

    k y l e Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > PRIVATE1964 <> wrote:
    > > I can run at 1024x768 with 2XAA and 4XAF, but I prefer 800x600. I

    can run

    > Heh, I can't stand 800x600 unless it good old Diablo. I like high

    resolutions at
    > 1024x768 and 1152x768 depending on the tiny fonts since I only have a 17"

    CRT
    > monitor.

    Heh, i'm the opposite - everything's too small and hard to see on those
    resolutions.

    Mind you, I only have a 14'' monitor, so 800x600 is pretty much the best I
    can do anyway (coupled with the low refresh rate of my monitor).

    k y l e, Jul 30, 2003
  5. Bigguy

    Guest

    k y l e <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > PRIVATE1964 <> wrote:
    > > > I can run at 1024x768 with 2XAA and 4XAF, but I prefer 800x600. I

    > can run
    > >
    > > Heh, I can't stand 800x600 unless it good old Diablo. I like high

    > resolutions at
    > > 1024x768 and 1152x768 depending on the tiny fonts since I only have a 17"

    > CRT
    > > monitor.
    > >

    > Heh, i'm the opposite - everything's too small and hard to see on those
    > resolutions.

    > Mind you, I only have a 14'' monitor, so 800x600 is pretty much the best I
    > can do anyway (coupled with the low refresh rate of my monitor).

    Ah, 14". Yes, I remember those. You should get a bigger screen. :)