Re: How to simulate the Windows Keys on a Thinkpad X41?

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by John Navas, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:50:20 -0400, Juan I. Cahis
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >How to simulate the Windows Keys on a Thinkpad X41?
    >Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

    Fair enough, but I don't understand what you're asking.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Jul 21, 2006

  2. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    Ahhh...

    The "Windows key" is just a shortcut to Ctrl+Esc, which you can press
    together to accomplish the same thing.
    -or-
    The ThinkPad Keyboard Customer will let you assign it to a key of your
    choice (right Alt key by default).
    <http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-44185>

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:15:49 -0400, Juan I. Cahis
    <> wrote in

    John Navas, Jul 21, 2006

  3. John Navas

    jw Guest

    John Navas wrote:
    > Ahhh...
    >
    > The "Windows key" is just a shortcut to Ctrl+Esc, which you can press
    > together to accomplish the same thing.
    > -or-
    > The ThinkPad Keyboard Customer will let you assign it to a key of your
    > choice (right Alt key by default).
    > <http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-44185>

    Ctrl+Esc only gets you the start menu. If you want to use the Windows
    shortcut keys that won't work.

    I don't use a lot of the shortcuts, but Windows+F and Windows+D get a
    fair amount of use on my machine.

    I also found a utility that will let you re-map the 'Thinkpad' key. I
    tried to make it be the Windows key but it worked just like Ctrl+Esc.
    You couldn't add the second key for a shortcut. Too bad, as the
    Thinkpad key would have been a bit handier than the Scrlk key that I now
    use.

    John
    jw, Jul 22, 2006
  4. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:24:57 -0600, jw <> wrote in
    <Y1gwg.4199$>:

    >John Navas wrote:
    >> Ahhh...
    >>
    >> The "Windows key" is just a shortcut to Ctrl+Esc, which you can press
    >> together to accomplish the same thing.
    >> -or-
    >> The ThinkPad Keyboard Customer will let you assign it to a key of your
    >> choice (right Alt key by default).
    >> <http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-44185>
    >>

    >Ctrl+Esc only gets you the start menu. If you want to use the Windows
    >shortcut keys that won't work.
    >
    >I don't use a lot of the shortcuts, but Windows+F and Windows+D get a
    >fair amount of use on my machine.
    >
    >I also found a utility that will let you re-map the 'Thinkpad' key. I
    >tried to make it be the Windows key but it worked just like Ctrl+Esc.
    >You couldn't add the second key for a shortcut. Too bad, as the
    >Thinkpad key would have been a bit handier than the Scrlk key that I now
    >use.

    The right Alt key assigned as the Windows key by the ThinkPad Keyboard
    Customizer works fine with such double keys as Windows+F and Windows+D.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Jul 22, 2006
  5. "Juan I. Cahis" <> wrote in message
    Dear John, where is the Thinkpad Keyboard Customizer in my X41
    TabletPC?

    John Navas <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:24:57 -0600, jw <> wrote in
    ><Y1gwg.4199$>:
    >
    >>John Navas wrote:
    >>> Ahhh...
    >>>
    >>> The "Windows key" is just a shortcut to Ctrl+Esc, which you can press
    >>> together to accomplish the same thing.
    >>> -or-
    >>> The ThinkPad Keyboard Customer will let you assign it to a key of your
    >>> choice (right Alt key by default).

    <http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lnd
    ocid=MIGR-44185>

    >>Ctrl+Esc only gets you the start menu. If you want to use the Windows
    >>shortcut keys that won't work.
    >>
    >>I don't use a lot of the shortcuts, but Windows+F and Windows+D get a
    >>fair amount of use on my machine.
    >>
    >>I also found a utility that will let you re-map the 'Thinkpad' key. I
    >>tried to make it be the Windows key but it worked just like Ctrl+Esc.
    >>You couldn't add the second key for a shortcut. Too bad, as the
    >>Thinkpad key would have been a bit handier than the Scrlk key that I now
    >>use.

    >The right Alt key assigned as the Windows key by the ThinkPad Keyboard
    >Customizer works fine with such double keys as Windows+F and Windows+D.

    Thanks
    Juan I. Cahis
    Santiago de Chile (South America)
    Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

    It doesn't appear to be on the IBM site (easily found that is) but it can be
    downloaded from numerous other web sites, such as this one:
    http://www.schlackman.org/programs/thinkpad.html

    Hope this helps.
    Cleveland_Tech, Jul 24, 2006
  6. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 01:14:45 GMT, "Cleveland_Tech"
    <> wrote in
    <9aVwg.55417$>:

    >John Navas <> wrote:

    ><http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lnd
    >ocid=MIGR-44185>

    >It doesn't appear to be on the IBM site (easily found that is) ...

    It appears on the IBM/Lenovo site at the link I posted earlier, as
    quoted above. Here's a shorter form:
    <http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-44185>

    >... but it can be
    >downloaded from numerous other web sites ...

    It's a bad idea in general to download and install software from unknown
    web site due to the risk of infection with viruses, trojans, and/or
    spyware.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas