Re: How to undo a password on the BIOS by resetting the BIOS altogether?

Discussion in 'HP' started by Ben Myers, Jun 24, 2008.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Most (not all) desktop computers have a jumper on the motherboard which can be
    set differently to clear a password and the rest of the BIOS settings. This is
    a last resort, however. If you still remember the password, you can enter the
    BIOS setup (which is protected by the password) and simply change the password
    to nothing at all.

    Computers made for paranoid government agencies do not have the password reset
    jumper. I have worked on two of them lately, both Gateway brand with an
    Intel-designed motherboard modified to exclude the jumper and the reset
    circuitry. If the hard drive is encrypted, then not being able to reset the
    BIOS password offers reasonable protection for data on the hard drive. But if
    it is not encrypted, the hard drive can be installed in another computer and its
    contents deciphered, so the absent password reset jumper would offer real
    protection... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 24, 2008