Re: I WANT A FRIGGIN GTX295!!!

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Benjamin Gawert, May 19, 2010.

  1. Am 18.05.2010 21:57, * Rob:

    > I'm an engineer, not a game player, damnit!

    So why are you looking at gaming cards then?

    > My current machine has a
    > humble yet lovable FX5900 agp4x in it and I'm ready to build a new
    > workstation based on the WestmereEP 6 core CPUs.

    So you do it for a hobby then? I'm also an engineer and I need to use
    workstations for a living, and therefore can't afford to use selfmade
    systems because most ISVs don't provide any support if you don't run
    their software on a certified machine, so I buy HP or Dell workstations.
    And especially the HP machines never cost me more what I would have paid
    for a similar self-build system but come with 3 years onsite warranty.

    > The specs I've read about the consumer oriented nvidia cards (wikipedia)
    > show that the vertex and texture generation speeds of the gtx295 are as
    > good as (or better than) the new (EXPENSIVE!) 480 cards. Thing is, not a
    > single vendor in the US seems to have the 295 anymore. WTF?!

    Well, Nvidia probably decided that by removing these cards from the
    market the GTX 470/480 series becomes more attractive.

    > Someone suggested that the ATI 5870 might be a good alternative but I
    > almost exclusively do openGL stuff in Linux and I have heard BAD THINGS
    > about linux support for the ATI cards.

    I have heard the US president is an alien. That doesn't make it true.

    > what I want:
    >
    > 1) lots of vertex/pixel computation firepower
    > 2) decent texture performance
    > 3) efficient support for shared memory x11/xover infrastructure in the
    > driver
    > 4) hardware support for a VESA level framebuffer driver (for
    > compatibility with older CAD/CAM applications)
    >
    > Things I couldn't care less about:
    > 1) SLI (not enough room in my machine requires too much power)
    > 2) fancy antialiasing, shaders, or photo-realism enhancements
    >
    > Thoughts?

    That's what the Nvidia Quadro and AMD FireGL/FirePro series cards are
    for. These are cards which are made and certified for many professional
    3D applications. The best thing when choosing a card is to follow the
    ISV certification lists.

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, May 19, 2010