Re: I'm looking for a ATI4850 but what brand??

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Rotten Ronny, Oct 16, 2008.

  1. Rotten Ronny

    Rotten Ronny Guest

    Gert <> wrote in news:48f712dd$:

    > I ordered an MSI 4850 with 512MB but the shop can't deliver it anymore.
    > I've got the choice of:
    >
    > Asus
    > Club3D
    > His
    > Sapphire
    >
    > Which one should I take. I don't like much noise, so the card with the
    > most noise is the wrong choice.
    >
    > Can anyone tell which card is the best?

    HIS or Asus. They all use the stock fan design anyway so the noise level
    should be the same. Latest ATI CAT 8.10 driver has fan control so you can
    lower the RPM slightly if it is too noisy. Or you can put on a 3rd party
    HSF that is quieter.

    Rotten Ronny, Oct 16, 2008

  2. Rotten Ronny

    DRS Guest

    "Rotten Ronny" <> wrote in message
    > Gert <> wrote in news:48f712dd$:
    >
    >> I ordered an MSI 4850 with 512MB but the shop can't deliver it
    >> anymore. I've got the choice of:
    >>
    >> Asus
    >> Club3D
    >> His
    >> Sapphire
    >>
    >> Which one should I take. I don't like much noise, so the card with
    >> the most noise is the wrong choice.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell which card is the best?
    >>

    > HIS or Asus. They all use the stock fan design anyway so the noise

    My Asus EAH4850 does not have the stock fan. It has the same 90mm fan used
    on the EAH4850 TOP (note that this makes it a dual-slot card). It
    accordingly runs cooler and quieter than the reference design. As it
    happens I couldn't find my card on the Asus website the last time I looked
    so I assume Asus only recently decided the reference design was simply not
    worth the grief. Look for the "Glaciator Fansink" logo on the front of the
    box as there may be old EAH4850 stock with the reference fan.

    DRS, Oct 16, 2008

  3. Rotten Ronny

    James Guest

    On Oct 16, 8:17 am, Gert <> wrote:
    > > HIS or Asus. They all use the stock fan design anyway so the noise level
    > > should be the same. Latest ATI CAT 8.10 driver has fan control so you can
    > > lower the RPM slightly if it is too noisy. Or you can put on a 3rd party
    > > HSF that is quieter.

    > Oke, thanks. Should I go for the His IceQ which has an airoutlet on the
    > outside of the case or should I buy the normal one?http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov.php?id=398

    I had an X1600 XT with the IceQ fan and never had an issue even after
    overclocking. Its a good choice.

    James

    James, Oct 16, 2008
  4. Rotten Ronny

    Rotten Ronny Guest

    "Gert" <> wrote in message news:48f730db$...
    > Oke, thanks. Should I go for the His IceQ which has an airoutlet on the
    > outside of the case or should I buy the normal one?
    > http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov.php?id=398
    >
    > I've got an Antec P182 case.

    Instead of spending extra money on a new fan and having to disassemble and
    reassemble why don't you just buy a 4870 instead which already has a fan
    that vents outside the case?

    Rotten Ronny, Oct 16, 2008
  5. Rotten Ronny

    Rotten Ronny Guest

    "Clas Mehus" <> wrote in message
    > ??? Why should he get a new fan for the board?

    Because he said he wants a quite video card and the fan on the 4850 is crap.

    > The 4870 reference-cooler is also quite annoying when it comes to the
    > chages in fan-speed (yeah yeah, i know, it can be customized through
    > CCC so that you can set your fan-speed manualy through short-cuts,
    > but..). A 4870 with a good cooler would put some extra price compared
    > to a 4850...

    Don't need to do any customization anymore to control the fan speed because
    the 8.10 drivers that were just released have fan control built in. The
    cooler on the 4870 is much better than the 4850. I have a freind with 4850
    and I have 4870. The 4850 fan dumps all the heat inside the case and the
    4870 vents it to outside the case. That's why I said get a 4870 instead.
    Better performance and better HSF.

    Rotten Ronny, Oct 17, 2008