Re: Inspiron 1501

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Pen, Sep 22, 2009.

  1. Pen

    Pen Guest

    MJMIII wrote:
    > "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
    >> not all models came with a recovery partition, and if the machine
    >> previously has the operating system reloaded from scratch then it may have
    >> been blown away at that point even if it had once been there. i suggest
    >> that you try the free antivirus tool from www.avast.com that scheduals a
    >> malware scan for the next time that you boot which gives it the ability to
    >> remove things that most other software can not. it just might save you
    >> from having to reload everything from scratch.

    > I forgot to mention he was running Avast, but it was shut down for some
    > unknown reason. Windows Update was shut down, too. My first clue was when
    > I couldn't connect to WU. When I started Avast it was like hitting trip 7's
    > on a slot machine. This laptop has a hidden "E" partition that's about 3
    > gigs. It's there, but I can't access it.

    The Dell recovery partition is assumed by Dell to be in a fixed location
    right after the C: drive. If partitions have been added then changes
    must be made. See below for more info.
    http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm

    1. Advertising

  2. Pen

    Pen Guest

    MJMIII wrote:
    > "Pen" <> wrote in message
    >> MJMIII wrote:
    >>> "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
    >>> I forgot to mention he was running Avast, but it was shut down for some
    >>> unknown reason. Windows Update was shut down, too. My first clue was
    >>> when I couldn't connect to WU. When I started Avast it was like hitting
    >>> trip 7's on a slot machine. This laptop has a hidden "E" partition
    >>> that's about 3 gigs. It's there, but I can't access it.

    >> The Dell recovery partition is assumed by Dell to be in a fixed location
    >> right after the C: drive. If partitions have been added then changes must
    >> be made. See below for more info.
    >> http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm

    > Some great information there. He's running XP Home, so I don't know if that
    > makes a difference.
    > Thanks!

    Operating system doesn't matter.