Re-installed Tiger, lost a feature I've come to rely on...

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Don Bruder, May 2, 2012.

  1. Don Bruder

    Don Bruder Guest

    As discussed in my message yesterday, I've done the re-install and most
    of the reorganization (but haven't yet finished grabbing all the
    updaters, so maybe my question will be resolved by one of them) of Tiger
    on my MDD G4DP.

    All seems to be well, except for two things - the most crucial one being
    losing a feature I've come to depend heavily on, and I can't remember
    how I got it - was it a built into the OS thing, or an add-on? I don't
    even really know what to call it so I can go looking for it - Whatever
    it is/was, whether it was a built-in that I just need to turn back on
    through a preference, or I need to go online and try to find it again, I
    want it back!

    What was it? Uh, like I said, I can't remember, but what it did was
    magnify the screen. As configured up until this morning, if I held down
    the control key and rolled the scroll-wheel on my mouse, the entire
    screen would zoom in/out, magnifying everything on-screen and making
    things readable. Particularly useful for preventing eye-strain migraines
    triggered by trying to read the practically zero contrast, tiny text
    that seems to be all the rage on web pages these days. (What *IDIOT*
    came up with the utterly *STUPID* idea of using 6 point type in light
    gray on a pale blue background?!?! If anybody figures out who it was, do
    me a favor - slap him/her upside the head two or three times for me,
    wouldja?)

    Being able to "Ctrl-wheel" to zoom in on things as needed was truly a
    gift from above.

    Can anybody tell me what feature I was using so I can start hunting for
    it and get it turned back on/re-installed? Pretty please???

    The other oddity is that I now have a big ol' question mark next to the
    top row of buttons (back/forward, view, and action, then the question
    mark) in each and every Finder window.

    When I click it, up pops an alert box with the Mac "faces" logo, a
    string telling me "The item cannot be found." and an "OK" button.

    --
    Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
    post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me
    Don Bruder, May 2, 2012

  2. Don Bruder

    David Empson Guest

    Don Bruder <> wrote:

    > As discussed in my message yesterday, I've done the re-install and most
    > of the reorganization (but haven't yet finished grabbing all the
    > updaters, so maybe my question will be resolved by one of them) of Tiger
    > on my MDD G4DP.
    >
    > All seems to be well, except for two things - the most crucial one being
    > losing a feature I've come to depend heavily on, and I can't remember
    > how I got it - was it a built into the OS thing, or an add-on? I don't
    > even really know what to call it so I can go looking for it - Whatever
    > it is/was, whether it was a built-in that I just need to turn back on
    > through a preference, or I need to go online and try to find it again, I
    > want it back!
    >
    > What was it? Uh, like I said, I can't remember, but what it did was
    > magnify the screen. As configured up until this morning, if I held down
    > the control key and rolled the scroll-wheel on my mouse, the entire
    > screen would zoom in/out, magnifying everything on-screen and making
    > things readable.

    That's a standard feature in recent versions of Mac OS X - definitely in
    Leopard and later, and I think it was there in Tiger as well.

    It may be off by default on a fresh install of Tiger. Assuming the
    setting is in the same place as it is in Snow Leopard:

    System Preferences > Mouse > "Zoom using scroll wheel while holding"
    (with a menu to pick the modifier key, and a checkbox to enable the
    feature).

    [...]

    > The other oddity is that I now have a big ol' question mark next to the
    > top row of buttons (back/forward, view, and action, then the question
    > mark) in each and every Finder window.

    You must have dragged something into the Finder toolbar (possibly by
    accident), but the original item was subsequently deleted.

    You can get rid of the question mark by holding down the Command key
    then click and drag the question mark down off the toolbar before
    releasing the mouse button. It will disappear in a puff of smoke.

    > When I click it, up pops an alert box with the Mac "faces" logo,

    For reference, in Mac OS X, that's the icon for Finder.

    David Empson, May 2, 2012

  3. Don Bruder

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Wed, 02 May 2012 01:26:30 -0700, Don Bruder wrote:

    > Particularly useful for preventing eye-strain migraines triggered by
    > trying to read the practically zero contrast, tiny text that seems to be
    > all the rage on web pages these days. (What *IDIOT* came up with the
    > utterly *STUPID* idea of using 6 point type in light gray on a pale blue
    > background?!?! If anybody figures out who it was, do me a favor - slap
    > him/her upside the head two or three times for me, wouldja?)

    I was going to say join the queue, but I'd be perfectly happy to hear
    that someone else has done the slapping :)

    --
    Paul Sture
    Paul Sture, May 2, 2012
  4. Don Bruder

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <1kjhinz.1soh38911n44ojN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > Don Bruder <> wrote:
    >
    > > As discussed in my message yesterday, I've done the re-install and most
    > > of the reorganization (but haven't yet finished grabbing all the
    > > updaters, so maybe my question will be resolved by one of them) of Tiger
    > > on my MDD G4DP.
    > >
    > > All seems to be well, except for two things - the most crucial one being
    > > losing a feature I've come to depend heavily on, and I can't remember
    > > how I got it - was it a built into the OS thing, or an add-on? I don't
    > > even really know what to call it so I can go looking for it - Whatever
    > > it is/was, whether it was a built-in that I just need to turn back on
    > > through a preference, or I need to go online and try to find it again, I
    > > want it back!
    > >
    > > What was it? Uh, like I said, I can't remember, but what it did was
    > > magnify the screen. As configured up until this morning, if I held down
    > > the control key and rolled the scroll-wheel on my mouse, the entire
    > > screen would zoom in/out, magnifying everything on-screen and making
    > > things readable.

    > That's a standard feature in recent versions of Mac OS X - definitely in
    > Leopard and later, and I think it was there in Tiger as well.
    >
    > It may be off by default on a fresh install of Tiger. Assuming the
    > setting is in the same place as it is in Snow Leopard:
    >
    > System Preferences > Mouse > "Zoom using scroll wheel while holding"
    > (with a menu to pick the modifier key, and a checkbox to enable the
    > feature).

    No joy. I go to Sys-prefs > Keyboard & mouse (got no "just mouse" -
    Apparently they only come bundled with with keyboards? :) ) to get a
    panel with three buttons - Keyboard, mouse, and Keyboard shortcuts. Tag
    the "Mouse" button, get a panel with four options to play with:
    Tracking, Scrolling, and Double-click speeds, and a pair of radio
    buttons to set the primary mouse button to either left or right. Nothing
    else.

    Don Bruder, May 2, 2012
  5. Don Bruder

    nospam Guest

    In article <jnrn1c$lbg$>, Don Bruder <>
    wrote:

    > > > What was it? Uh, like I said, I can't remember, but what it did was
    > > > magnify the screen. As configured up until this morning, if I held down
    > > > the control key and rolled the scroll-wheel on my mouse, the entire
    > > > screen would zoom in/out, magnifying everything on-screen and making
    > > > things readable.

    > > That's a standard feature in recent versions of Mac OS X - definitely in
    > > Leopard and later, and I think it was there in Tiger as well.
    > >
    > > It may be off by default on a fresh install of Tiger. Assuming the
    > > setting is in the same place as it is in Snow Leopard:
    > >
    > > System Preferences > Mouse > "Zoom using scroll wheel while holding"
    > > (with a menu to pick the modifier key, and a checkbox to enable the
    > > feature).

    > No joy. I go to Sys-prefs > Keyboard & mouse (got no "just mouse" -
    > Apparently they only come bundled with with keyboards? :) ) to get a
    > panel with three buttons - Keyboard, mouse, and Keyboard shortcuts. Tag
    > the "Mouse" button, get a panel with four options to play with:
    > Tracking, Scrolling, and Double-click speeds, and a pair of radio
    > buttons to set the primary mouse button to either left or right. Nothing
    > else.

    it's in universal access.
    nospam, May 2, 2012
  6. nospam <> writes:

    > > > That's a standard feature in recent versions of Mac OS X - definitely in
    > > > Leopard and later, and I think it was there in Tiger as well.
    > > >
    > > > It may be off by default on a fresh install of Tiger. Assuming the
    > > > setting is in the same place as it is in Snow Leopard:
    > > >
    > > > System Preferences > Mouse > "Zoom using scroll wheel while holding"
    > > > (with a menu to pick the modifier key, and a checkbox to enable the
    > > > feature).

    > > No joy. I go to Sys-prefs > Keyboard & mouse (got no "just mouse" -
    > > Apparently they only come bundled with with keyboards? :) ) to get a
    > > panel with three buttons - Keyboard, mouse, and Keyboard shortcuts. Tag
    > > the "Mouse" button, get a panel with four options to play with:
    > > Tracking, Scrolling, and Double-click speeds, and a pair of radio
    > > buttons to set the primary mouse button to either left or right. Nothing
    > > else.

    > it's in universal access.

    More specifically (I think) under

    System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Seeing

    and then the "Options" button under "Zoom".
    Doug Anderson, May 2, 2012
  7. Don Bruder

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <020520120925514765%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > > > That's a standard feature in recent versions of Mac OS X - definitely in
    > > > Leopard and later, and I think it was there in Tiger as well.
    > > >
    > > > It may be off by default on a fresh install of Tiger. Assuming the
    > > > setting is in the same place as it is in Snow Leopard:
    > > >
    > > > System Preferences > Mouse > "Zoom using scroll wheel while holding"
    > > > (with a menu to pick the modifier key, and a checkbox to enable the
    > > > feature).

    > > No joy. I go to Sys-prefs > Keyboard & mouse (got no "just mouse" -
    > > Apparently they only come bundled with with keyboards? :) ) to get a
    > > panel with three buttons - Keyboard, mouse, and Keyboard shortcuts. Tag
    > > the "Mouse" button, get a panel with four options to play with:
    > > Tracking, Scrolling, and Double-click speeds, and a pair of radio
    > > buttons to set the primary mouse button to either left or right. Nothing
    > > else.

    > it's in universal access.

    Actually, coming over to my other machine (A Sawtooth G4, running Tiger
    just like the MDD I'm having trouble on) and looking in Keyboard &
    Mouse, I find the option I need, big as life and twice as ugly. The
    exact same pref panel on the MDD has nothing at all similar...

    WTF?!?!?!?

    (I'm beginning to suspect this is a symptom of the underlying problem
    that got me wanting to re-install the system to begin with... I'm
    further suspecting that something is SERIOUSLY - perhaps terminally -
    hosed on the MDD)

    ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
    Don Bruder, May 4, 2012
  8. In article <jnvv3u$lbf$>, Don Bruder <> wrote:

    > Actually, coming over to my other machine (A Sawtooth G4, running Tiger
    > just like the MDD I'm having trouble on) and looking in Keyboard &
    > Mouse, I find the option I need, big as life and twice as ugly. The
    > exact same pref panel on the MDD has nothing at all similar...
    >
    > WTF?!?!?!?
    >
    > (I'm beginning to suspect this is a symptom of the underlying problem
    > that got me wanting to re-install the system to begin with... I'm
    > further suspecting that something is SERIOUSLY - perhaps terminally -
    > hosed on the MDD)

    It could be the mouse that's misbehaving. Try plugging the "naughty" mouse
    into the other computer and then see if the option is still there, and
    plugging the "good" mouse into the MDD computer to see if the option
    appears or not.

    It could simply be that the MDD USB ports don't recognise the scrollball
    mouse properly, although that's unlikely if it worked before.

    The other possibility is that you had previously installed extra mouse
    software (there's a couple of different ones around or drivers from the
    mouse's manufacturer) and need to also re-install that.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)
    Helpful Harry, May 4, 2012
  9. Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > In article <jnvv3u$lbf$>, Don Bruder <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > In article <020520120925514765%>,
    > > nospam <> wrote:

    > > > it's in universal access.

    > > Actually, coming over to my other machine (A Sawtooth G4, running Tiger
    > > just like the MDD I'm having trouble on) and looking in Keyboard &
    > > Mouse, I find the option I need, big as life and twice as ugly. The
    > > exact same pref panel on the MDD has nothing at all similar...
    > >
    > > WTF?!?!?!?
    > >
    > > (I'm beginning to suspect this is a symptom of the underlying problem
    > > that got me wanting to re-install the system to begin with... I'm
    > > further suspecting that something is SERIOUSLY - perhaps terminally -
    > > hosed on the MDD)

    > While I'm pretty sure certain older versions of Mac OS X did not have
    > that option in the mouse system preference panel, every version I can
    > remember *does* have it in the Universal Access panel. Apple added it to
    > the mouse panel more recently for convenience.

    Aye, it's been in Universal Access (in UA's zoom options in 10.6), at
    least since 10.3 that I recall. Adding it to the mouse pre panel as well
    happened in 10.5?
    Jamie Kahn Genet, May 4, 2012
  10. Don Bruder

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <1kjlhsm.1ejhmqt1lnqeobN%>,
    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

    > Jolly Roger <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <jnvv3u$lbf$>, Don Bruder <>
    > > wrote:

    > > > Actually, coming over to my other machine (A Sawtooth G4, running Tiger
    > > > just like the MDD I'm having trouble on) and looking in Keyboard &
    > > > Mouse, I find the option I need, big as life and twice as ugly. The
    > > > exact same pref panel on the MDD has nothing at all similar...
    > > >
    > > > WTF?!?!?!?
    > > >
    > > > (I'm beginning to suspect this is a symptom of the underlying problem
    > > > that got me wanting to re-install the system to begin with... I'm
    > > > further suspecting that something is SERIOUSLY - perhaps terminally -
    > > > hosed on the MDD)

    > > While I'm pretty sure certain older versions of Mac OS X did not have
    > > that option in the mouse system preference panel, every version I can
    > > remember *does* have it in the Universal Access panel. Apple added it to
    > > the mouse panel more recently for convenience.

    > Aye, it's been in Universal Access (in UA's zoom options in 10.6), at
    > least since 10.3 that I recall. Adding it to the mouse pre panel as well
    > happened in 10.5?

    There is indeed a *KEYBOARD CONTROLLED* zoom feature in the Universal
    Access pref panel. On both my Sawtooth and the MDD I'm having trouble
    with. In the Keyboard & Mouse panel, under the Mouse button, both the
    MDD and the Sawtooth have four options - 2 sliders dealing with Tracking
    and Scrolling speeds, and a third for double-click speed, with a
    "Double-click here to test" text field. The fourth is a pair of radio
    buttons to set the primary mouse button. On the Sawtooth, there's a 5th
    option: A checkbox tagged "Zoom using scroll wheel while holding
    <pulldown to select modifier key> and an "Options..." button that rolls
    down a panel to control how the cursor position relates to the movement
    of the zoomed screen. On the MDD, there is no such 5th item in the
    mouse-pane.

    Despite both machines having the same OS - Tiger - installed.

    Go figure...

    I'm to the point where I'm pretty well convinced that something has gone
    horribly wrong with the MDD - Nothing I've tried gets me a working
    system other than "Safe boot" mode, which leaves me with a (mostly)
    operational rig, but severely crippled by not being able to do anything
    particularly useful.

    ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
    Don Bruder, May 4, 2012
  11. Don Bruder

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jo0uao$95d$>,
    Don Bruder <> wrote:

    > I'm to the point where I'm pretty well convinced that something has gone
    > horribly wrong with the MDD - Nothing I've tried gets me a working
    > system other than "Safe boot" mode, which leaves me with a (mostly)
    > operational rig, but severely crippled by not being able to do anything
    > particularly useful.

    Have you made a thorough check of your RAM modules?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 4, 2012
  12. Don Bruder wrote:
    > As discussed in my message yesterday, I've done the re-install and most
    > of the reorganization (but haven't yet finished grabbing all the
    > updaters, so maybe my question will be resolved by one of them) of Tiger
    > on my MDD G4DP.
    >
    > All seems to be well, except for two things - the most crucial one being
    > losing a feature I've come to depend heavily on, and I can't remember
    > how I got it - was it a built into the OS thing, or an add-on? I don't
    > even really know what to call it so I can go looking for it - Whatever
    > it is/was, whether it was a built-in that I just need to turn back on
    > through a preference, or I need to go online and try to find it again, I
    > want it back!
    >
    > What was it? Uh, like I said, I can't remember, but what it did was
    > magnify the screen. As configured up until this morning, if I held down
    > the control key and rolled the scroll-wheel on my mouse, the entire
    > screen would zoom in/out, magnifying everything on-screen and making
    > things readable. Particularly useful for preventing eye-strain migraines
    > triggered by trying to read the practically zero contrast, tiny text
    > that seems to be all the rage on web pages these days. (What *IDIOT*
    > came up with the utterly *STUPID* idea of using 6 point type in light
    > gray on a pale blue background?!?! If anybody figures out who it was, do
    > me a favor - slap him/her upside the head two or three times for me,
    > wouldja?)
    >
    > Being able to "Ctrl-wheel" to zoom in on things as needed was truly a
    > gift from above.
    >
    > Can anybody tell me what feature I was using so I can start hunting for
    > it and get it turned back on/re-installed? Pretty please???

    Just hold down COM+ALT+8 - it will turn on 'ZoomView'. To zoom in/out
    use COM+ALT++/- (plus and minus signs in the num-pad). For pre-10.4.8
    you need to use COM+ALT++/´ (plus and egy sign in the main keyboard).
    CRTL+wheel came with OS X 10.4.9 for use with all Apple mice and MS
    laser wheel-mice. Does not work with Kensington trackballs under 10.4.x.
    Also works with Logitech keyboards and mice with Logitech ControlCenter
    installed from 10.4.11 and up.

    Cheers, Erik Richard

    Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <>
    NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
    OpenOffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org
    Erik Richard Sørensen, May 4, 2012
  13. David Empson wrote:
    > Don Bruder <> wrote:
    >> As discussed in my message yesterday, I've done the re-install and most
    >> of the reorganization (but haven't yet finished grabbing all the
    >> updaters, so maybe my question will be resolved by one of them) of Tiger
    >> on my MDD G4DP.
    >>
    >> All seems to be well, except for two things - the most crucial one being
    >> losing a feature I've come to depend heavily on, and I can't remember
    >> how I got it - was it a built into the OS thing, or an add-on? I don't
    >> even really know what to call it so I can go looking for it - Whatever
    >> it is/was, whether it was a built-in that I just need to turn back on
    >> through a preference, or I need to go online and try to find it again,I
    >> want it back!
    >>
    >> What was it? Uh, like I said, I can't remember, but what it did was
    >> magnify the screen. As configured up until this morning, if I held down
    >> the control key and rolled the scroll-wheel on my mouse, the entire
    >> screen would zoom in/out, magnifying everything on-screen and making
    >> things readable.

    > That's a standard feature in recent versions of Mac OS X - definitely in
    > Leopard and later, and I think it was there in Tiger as well.
    >
    > It may be off by default on a fresh install of Tiger. Assuming the
    > setting is in the same place as it is in Snow Leopard:
    >
    > System Preferences > Mouse > "Zoom using scroll wheel while holding"
    > (with a menu to pick the modifier key, and a checkbox to enable the
    > feature).

    Not quite.-) Systempreferences -> Universal -> Sight -> Enable ZoomView.
    - And then go to the mouse controlpane to enable the zooming via CRTL+wheel.

    The feature was first available with OS X 10.4.6 on laptops and 10.4.8
    on desktop computers using orig. Apple keyboards and mice. From 10.4.11
    is is a default function with most brands if proper drivers and software
    is installed as well.

    Erik Richard Sørensen, May 4, 2012
  14. Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >>> (I'm beginning to suspect this is a symptom of the underlying problem
    >>> that got me wanting to re-install the system to begin with... I'm
    >>> further suspecting that something is SERIOUSLY - perhaps terminally -
    >>> hosed on the MDD)

    >> While I'm pretty sure certain older versions of Mac OS X did not have
    >> that option in the mouse system preference panel, every version I can
    >> remember *does* have it in the Universal Access panel. Apple added it to
    >> the mouse panel more recently for convenience.

    > Aye, it's been in Universal Access (in UA's zoom options in 10.6), at
    > least since 10.3 that I recall. Adding it to the mouse pre panel as well
    > happened in 10.5?

    The zoom functions within ZoomView has been there since 10.2.6 using key
    commands, but the use of the wheel was first implemented with 10.4.6 on
    laptops and 10.4.8 on desktops and only using Apple keyboards and mice.
    From 10.4.11 it is possible to use nearly any brand of keyboard and
    mice, if proper drivers are installed...

    Erik Richard Sørensen, May 4, 2012
  15. Erik Richard Sørensen <> wrote:

    > >> While I'm pretty sure certain older versions of Mac OS X did not have
    > >> that option in the mouse system preference panel, every version I can
    > >> remember *does* have it in the Universal Access panel. Apple added it to
    > >> the mouse panel more recently for convenience.

    > > Aye, it's been in Universal Access (in UA's zoom options in 10.6), at
    > > least since 10.3 that I recall. Adding it to the mouse pre panel as well
    > > happened in 10.5?

    > The zoom functions within ZoomView has been there since 10.2.6 using key
    > commands, but the use of the wheel was first implemented with 10.4.6 on
    > laptops and 10.4.8 on desktops and only using Apple keyboards and mice.
    > From 10.4.11 it is possible to use nearly any brand of keyboard and
    > mice, if proper drivers are installed...
    >
    > Cheers, Erik Richard

    You sure? I seem to recall scrolling to zoom in 10.3.
    Jamie Kahn Genet, May 5, 2012
  16. Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Erik Richard Sørensen <> wrote:
    >>> Aye, it's been in Universal Access (in UA's zoom options in 10.6), at
    >>> least since 10.3 that I recall. Adding it to the mouse pre panel as well
    >>> happened in 10.5?

    >> The zoom functions within ZoomView has been there since 10.2.6 using key
    >> commands, but the use of the wheel was first implemented with 10.4.6 on
    >> laptops and 10.4.8 on desktops and only using Apple keyboards and mice.
    >> From 10.4.11 it is possible to use nearly any brand of keyboard and
    >> mice, if proper drivers are installed...

    > You sure? I seem to recall scrolling to zoom in 10.3.

    Of couse you could zoom, but not with the use of either the trackpad on
    a PowerBook or a wheel on an external mouse. In 10.3.x it is only the
    use of the keyboard commmands that work.

    I had at first 10.3.x on a PowerBook Pismo and later on 10.4.6. It was
    first with the upgrade to 10.4.6 the CRTL+wheel/trackpad zooming was
    available.

    Erik Richard Sørensen, May 5, 2012
  17. Erik Richard Sørensen <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > Erik Richard Sørensen <> wrote:
    > >> The zoom functions within ZoomView has been there since 10.2.6 using key
    > >> commands, but the use of the wheel was first implemented with 10.4.6 on
    > >> laptops and 10.4.8 on desktops and only using Apple keyboards and mice.
    > >> From 10.4.11 it is possible to use nearly any brand of keyboard and
    > >> mice, if proper drivers are installed...

    > > You sure? I seem to recall scrolling to zoom in 10.3.

    > Of couse you could zoom, but not with the use of either the trackpad on
    > a PowerBook or a wheel on an external mouse. In 10.3.x it is only the
    > use of the keyboard commmands that work.
    >
    > I had at first 10.3.x on a PowerBook Pismo and later on 10.4.6. It was
    > first with the upgrade to 10.4.6 the CRTL+wheel/trackpad zooming was
    > available.
    >
    > Cheers, Erik Richard

    I defer to your better memory :)
    Jamie Kahn Genet, May 5, 2012
  18. Don Bruder

    David Empson Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet <> wrote:

    > Erik Richard Sørensen <> wrote:
    >
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > >
    > > > You sure? I seem to recall scrolling to zoom in 10.3.

    > > Of couse you could zoom, but not with the use of either the trackpad on
    > > a PowerBook or a wheel on an external mouse. In 10.3.x it is only the
    > > use of the keyboard commmands that work.
    > >
    > > I had at first 10.3.x on a PowerBook Pismo and later on 10.4.6. It was
    > > first with the upgrade to 10.4.6 the CRTL+wheel/trackpad zooming was
    > > available.
    > >
    > > Cheers, Erik Richard

    > I defer to your better memory :)

    Erik's observations are also partly confirmed by a Google search. John
    Gruber of Daring Fireball mentioned the scroll wheel zoom user interface
    in the Keyboard & Mouse panel of System Preferences as a new feature in
    10.4.8.

    It isn't clear yet whether it was specific to Apple mice as of 10.4.8.
    I've just tested it using 10.4.11 on my PowerMac G4 (QuickSilver 2002),
    connected to which I have a Logitech cordless mouse (with USB adapater,
    so the computer thinks it is a USB mouse) which has a scroll wheel. I
    have not installed any drivers from Logitech, nor any third party
    drivers.

    In 10.4.11, System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Mouse has "Zoom
    using scroll wheel while holding ^ Control" (the key can be changed with
    a popup menu), a checkbox to enable the feature, and an Options button
    to tweak the behaviour. It works as described.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, May 5, 2012
  19. Don Bruder

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <1kjo4bm.19a3pawh07qysN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet <> wrote:
    >
    > > Erik Richard Sorensen <> wrote:

    > > > Of couse you could zoom, but not with the use of either the trackpad on
    > > > a PowerBook or a wheel on an external mouse. In 10.3.x it is only the
    > > > use of the keyboard commmands that work.
    > > >
    > > > I had at first 10.3.x on a PowerBook Pismo and later on 10.4.6. It was
    > > > first with the upgrade to 10.4.6 the CRTL+wheel/trackpad zooming was
    > > > available.
    > > >
    > > > Cheers, Erik Richard

    > > I defer to your better memory :)

    > Erik's observations are also partly confirmed by a Google search. John
    > Gruber of Daring Fireball mentioned the scroll wheel zoom user interface
    > in the Keyboard & Mouse panel of System Preferences as a new feature in
    > 10.4.8.
    >
    > It isn't clear yet whether it was specific to Apple mice as of 10.4.8.
    > I've just tested it using 10.4.11 on my PowerMac G4 (QuickSilver 2002),
    > connected to which I have a Logitech cordless mouse (with USB adapater,
    > so the computer thinks it is a USB mouse) which has a scroll wheel. I
    > have not installed any drivers from Logitech, nor any third party
    > drivers.
    >
    > In 10.4.11, System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Mouse has "Zoom
    > using scroll wheel while holding ^ Control" (the key can be changed with
    > a popup menu), a checkbox to enable the feature, and an Options button
    > to tweak the behaviour. It works as described.

    Which explains things on that topic, at least - The Tiger Retail DVD
    I've got installs 10.4.6. And as noted elsewhere, on the MDD, goes into
    a perpetual panic unless it's been shift-booted - which means no 'net to
    grab the updaters from. So of course I didn't find it. <D'OH>

    The Sawtooth I'm typing this message on has long been fully updated to
    10.4.11. Thus, it has the feature, exactly as described, only found as
    part of the "Keyboard & Mouse" pane rather than the (nonexistent in
    Tiger) just plain "Mouse" pane I was initially pointed at.
    Don Bruder, May 6, 2012
  20. Don Bruder

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article <jo0uao$95d$>,
    > Don Bruder <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm to the point where I'm pretty well convinced that something has gone
    > > horribly wrong with the MDD - Nothing I've tried gets me a working
    > > system other than "Safe boot" mode, which leaves me with a (mostly)
    > > operational rig, but severely crippled by not being able to do anything
    > > particularly useful.

    > Have you made a thorough check of your RAM modules?

    Aye, 4 sticks of 512 MB (That have been working fine for... Eh... Coming
    up on three years now?) removed, replaced with the two
    came-to-me-already-installed 256MB sticks. No significant change in
    behavior.

    Don Bruder, May 10, 2012