Re: Intel's chipset monopoly

Discussion in 'Intel' started by DevilsPGD, Jan 2, 2012.

  1. DevilsPGD

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <4f010b0b$> someone claiming to be "Orson Cart"
    <> typed:

    >VIA, SiS, ATI and NVIDIA used to make chipsets for FSB CPUs up to
    >Core 2 and Atom ... but all this ceased when Intel brought out
    >the Nehalem.
    >I still wonder why they have not granted permission to others to
    >mate with their CPUs? Perhaps now they use internal memory controller,
    >a crappy northbridge will not choke memory bandwidth, and OEMs
    >might just select the minimum price.

    If I had to guess, it would be because of what a horrible job VIA, SiS
    and nVidia did. But I'm sure being anti-competitive isn't a downside to
    Intel either, so it's really a win-win for them.

    --
    It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
    steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.
    DevilsPGD, Jan 2, 2012