Re: Interfacing hardware with PC through USB connection

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Neil, Jul 13, 2010.

  1. Neil

    Neil Guest

    On 7/11/2010 3:24 PM, anex wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am working on a project that requires me to interface a particular
    > hardware with my PC through a USB port and stream some audio data through
    > this connection. However i have never worked on USB interfacing before and
    > am looking for some good resources or tutorials to start work in this
    > field. I might also need to use a microcontroller in the interfacing
    > circuitry. I cant buy expensive ready made interfacing tools available in
    > the market and would want build them on my own. It would be great if you
    > guys could suggest something related to such a project that might be of
    > help..
    >
    > Thanks in advance.!
    >
    > ---------------------------------------
    > Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

    Jan Axelsons Book USB Complete is Popular.
    Neil, Jul 13, 2010

  2. Neil

    Oscar Almer Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:56:56 -0400
    Neil <> wrote:

    > On 7/11/2010 3:24 PM, anex wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I am working on a project that requires me to interface a particular
    > > hardware with my PC through a USB port and stream some audio data
    > > through this connection. However i have never worked on USB
    > > interfacing before and am looking for some good resources or
    > > tutorials to start work in this field. I might also need to use a
    > > microcontroller in the interfacing circuitry. I cant buy expensive
    > > ready made interfacing tools available in the market and would want
    > > build them on my own. It would be great if you guys could suggest
    > > something related to such a project that might be of help..
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.!
    > >
    > > ---------------------------------------
    > > Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

    > Jan Axelsons Book USB Complete is Popular.

    I went looking for books on this very topic last week, found the same,
    and bought it. I feel like I'm missing something, however; it seems to
    discuss the high-level protocols well enough, but so far I've found
    it somewhat repetitive and importantly lacking in low-level details.
    (Low-level details is what makes the high-level picture, after all).
    And of course, it's microsoft-centric to the point that (using drivers
    for) MacOS and linux isn't even discussed, which I feel is a bit odd.
    It's giving me an overview of how the protocol works, but I suspect ill
    have to dig into other sources (embedded processor documentation, linux
    kernel stuff) to get at the information I would actually need to
    implement a workable system.

    Not to say the book isn't useful, but it feels, to me, a bit limited.

    //Oscar
    Oscar Almer, Jul 13, 2010

  3. Neil

    linnix Guest

    On Jul 13, 8:15 am, Oscar Almer <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:56:56 -0400
    >

    > Neil <> wrote:
    > > On 7/11/2010 3:24 PM, anex wrote:
    > > > Hi

    > > > I am working on a project that requires me to interface a particular
    > > > hardware with my PC through a USB port and stream some audio data
    > > > through this connection. However i have never worked on USB
    > > > interfacing before and am looking for some good resources or
    > > > tutorials to start work in this field. I might also need to use a
    > > > microcontroller in the interfacing circuitry. I cant buy expensive
    > > > ready made interfacing tools available in the market and would want
    > > > build them on my own. It would be great if you guys could suggest
    > > > something related to such a project that might be of help..

    > > > Thanks in advance.!

    > > > ---------------------------------------
    > > > Posted throughhttp://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

    > > Jan Axelsons Book USB Complete is Popular.

    > I went looking for books on this very topic last week, found the same,
    > and bought it. I feel like I'm missing something, however; it seems to
    > discuss the high-level protocols well enough, but so far I've found
    > it somewhat repetitive and  importantly lacking in low-level details.
    > (Low-level details is what makes the high-level picture, after all).

    How does your application interface look like? Do you have custom
    driver/apps on the target? If so, you can just overlay your protocols
    on top of the existing standards. I always start with the CDC driver
    because it provides a quick and easy debugging environment (just
    printf). Even if I need another driver class, I would end up with
    composite device with at least the CDC debug port.
    linnix, Jul 13, 2010
  4. Neil

    Jon Kirwan Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On 7/11/2010 3:24 PM, anex wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I am working on a project that requires me to interface a particular
    >> hardware with my PC through a USB port and stream some audio data through
    >> this connection. However i have never worked on USB interfacing before and
    >> am looking for some good resources or tutorials to start work in this
    >> field. I might also need to use a microcontroller in the interfacing
    >> circuitry. I cant buy expensive ready made interfacing tools available in
    >> the market and would want build them on my own. It would be great if you
    >> guys could suggest something related to such a project that might be of
    >> help..
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.!
    >>
    >> ---------------------------------------
    >> Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

    >Jan Axelsons Book USB Complete is Popular.

    I consider the book largely useless for the OP's purposes. It
    may help clear up some ignorance on some terms, but it is
    very far from "complete." I bought it, read it, and haven't
    ever looked at it since. Not even occasionally, as a
    reference. Wasted my time and money.

    Jon
    Jon Kirwan, Jul 13, 2010
  5. Neil

    Bob Guest

    On 13 July, 18:50, Jon Kirwan <> wrote:

    > I consider the book largely useless for the OP's purposes. It
    > may help clear up some ignorance on some terms, but it is
    > very far from "complete."  I bought it, read it, and haven't
    > ever looked at it since.  Not even occasionally, as a
    > reference.  Wasted my time and money.

    I would have to concur, "Introduction to USB" might be more accurate,
    and it is a good introduction. I think it is the most technical book
    on the market though. Fortunately, it's easy enough to find a cheap
    USB platform and some open source USB code and get stuck in.

    I haven't seen any public projects of people doing audio/video over
    USB, although this is asked about now and then. I would be interested
    if anyone knows of any.
    Bob, Jul 13, 2010
  6. Neil

    Jon Kirwan Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 14:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Bob
    <> wrote:

    >On 13 July, 18:50, Jon Kirwan <> wrote:
    >
    >> I consider the book largely useless for the OP's purposes. It
    >> may help clear up some ignorance on some terms, but it is
    >> very far from "complete."  I bought it, read it, and haven't
    >> ever looked at it since.  Not even occasionally, as a
    >> reference.  Wasted my time and money.

    >I would have to concur, "Introduction to USB" might be more accurate,
    >and it is a good introduction. I think it is the most technical book
    >on the market though. Fortunately, it's easy enough to find a cheap
    >USB platform and some open source USB code and get stuck in.
    >
    >I haven't seen any public projects of people doing audio/video over
    >USB, although this is asked about now and then. I would be interested
    >if anyone knows of any.

    I think there is a HUGE need here for something like a
    MindShare book on the subject of USB. Something that delves
    into all aspects, hardware _and_ software, and from host to
    slave. The USB specs, thorough in their own way as they may
    be, aren't entirely helpful to a newcomer. I was able to
    learn from them but it wasn't until I saw actual code that
    _some_ things came a little clearer.

    I've been learning some as I go, from exactly the method you
    mention above, but I would very much like to see a thorough
    book on the topic from someone who has been there, done that,
    and done so comprehensively and can cover the various cases
    from personal experience and experimentation.

    Big hole needs filling here.

    Jon
    Jon Kirwan, Jul 14, 2010
  7. Neil

    Oscar Almer Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:59:06 -0700 (PDT)
    linnix <-for.us> wrote:

    > On Jul 13, 8:15 am, Oscar Almer <> wrote:
    > > On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:56:56 -0400
    > >

    > > Neil <> wrote:

    > > > Jan Axelsons Book USB Complete is Popular.

    > > I went looking for books on this very topic last week, found the
    > > same, and bought it. I feel like I'm missing something, however; it
    > > seems to discuss the high-level protocols well enough, but so far
    > > I've found it somewhat repetitive and  importantly lacking in
    > > low-level details. (Low-level details is what makes the high-level
    > > picture, after all).

    > How does your application interface look like? Do you have custom
    > driver/apps on the target? If so, you can just overlay your protocols
    > on top of the existing standards. I always start with the CDC driver
    > because it provides a quick and easy debugging environment (just
    > printf). Even if I need another driver class, I would end up with
    > composite device with at least the CDC debug port.

    I'm not the OP, which may be who you want to ask. Topic drift setting
    in again.
    My main complaint about the book is that, as someone else pointed out
    in a different branch, it covers the basics but not the details. I
    would not be able to implement a USB device from just reading the book.

    //Oscar
    Oscar Almer, Jul 14, 2010