Re: Is it G92 or G92b?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Augustus, Apr 25, 2009.

  1. Augustus

    Augustus Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > On this webpage, both the 9800 GTX + and GTS 250 are described as
    > G92b, 55nm technology: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=674
    >

    > However on the next page of the review, GPU-Z displays G92, 65nm:
    >
    > http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=674&type=expert
    >

    > So what gives here? { shrug } are they 65 or 55 line width?
    >

    > -ed

    GPU-Z is not 100% accurate identifying specs of newer gen cards, especially
    when they are a reworked nVidia reference board with a virtually identical
    family GPU's. A G92b is a G92 family GPU. It's identical architecture on a
    17% smaller wafer . The ID string in the card's BIOS is very likely being
    read by GPU-Z as a G92 and GPU-Z simply reports this as being 65nm. The
    version of GPU-Z used in that Palit review is 3.2.......a couple of months
    old. 3.3 is now out. It may have been updated to report the GTS 250 and
    9800GTX+ as 55nm fab and G92b. GTS 250 cards are 55nm fab, period.
    FWIW the earlier versions of GPU-Z reports my eVGA Core 216 GTX 260 SSC as
    65nm. Version 3.2 and above see it as 55nm.

    http://www.ninjalane.com/reviews/video/palit_gts250

    Augustus, Apr 25, 2009

  2. Augustus

    Augustus Guest

    > Ok got it. How about looking over the following spreadsheet for correct
    > GPU and fab data: http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/nVidia_boards.xls
    >

    > -ed

    The spreadsheet is correct. There were and may still be some GTX 260 Core
    216 cards that are 65nm fab. There are other differences as well. This
    article sums it up fairly concisely.
    http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...o-distinguish-65-and-55-nm-versions/Practice/
    I would think that almost all by now would be 55nm. All the current eVGA GTX
    260line is 55nm. To avoid getting one that is 65nm, I would recommend you
    purchase from a bricks and mortar store or e-tailer that moves high volume.

    Augustus, Apr 26, 2009

  3. Augustus

    Augustus Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 03:26:32 GMT, "Augustus" <>
    > brought the following to our attention:
    >
    >>> Ok got it. How about looking over the following spreadsheet for correct
    >>> GPU and fab data: http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/nVidia_boards.xls
    >>>

    >>> -ed
    >>>

    >>The spreadsheet is correct. There were and may still be some GTX 260 Core
    >>216 cards that are 65nm fab. There are other differences as well. This
    >>article sums it up fairly concisely.
    >>http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...o-distinguish-65-and-55-nm-versions/Practice/
    >>I would think that almost all by now would be 55nm. All the current eVGA
    >>GTX
    >>260line is 55nm. To avoid getting one that is 65nm, I would recommend you
    >>purchase from a bricks and mortar store or e-tailer that moves high
    >>volume.
    >>

    > Was reading through the posted articles, and it seems the GTX 260 with
    > 896 MB of memory is actually a 1 GB board, where one of the 128 MB
    > `clusters´ was bad due to production yield. So the mfg disables that
    > cluster and sells the product as such?
    >
    > -ed

    No. This is not the case. The 55nm GTX 260 boards are manufactured with
    896Mb on a different PCB with only 14 BGA sockets . Look at the photos in
    the link. 14x64Mb DDR3 = 896Mb .The 65nm boards share the same PCB with the
    GTX 280 but have 7 x 128Mb DDR3 for 896Mb. If you look at the photo of the
    65nm fab GTX 260, you'll see that the 8th BGA socket is left unfilled. It's
    a case of using the same PCB and a modified GT200 GPU for the older 65nm 260
    GTX units.

    Augustus, Apr 26, 2009