Re: Just a query!

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Paul, Feb 17, 2009.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Dumbo wrote:
    > Look I know I'm flailing but I have assurances that my GTX was a fully
    > working card and the 4870 Force3d was a problem card (I assumed it was
    > heat issue and a new cooler (air or water would fix it)). Neither will
    > post on a Striker Extreme motherboard I have. There are a lot of
    > postings out there saying that the PCI-e 2.0 cards refuse to function
    > with these cards but I have persevered. Even ASUS support forums have
    > this type of statement posted there.
    > I cannot get even one friend who has a PSU with the correct connectors
    > or correct wattage of PSU to run it. BFG tech don't seem to be too
    > helpful.
    > My point is this. If I purchase an AM2 based motherboard, CPU and
    > cooler and try my psu (Hiper-4m880w) would that negate the issue of some
    > incompatibility with 680/780 chipsets.
    > I haven't got an AM2 setup but one based on another chipset should take
    > another if out of the equation.
    >
    > Robin

    It's an interesting problem.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...&model=Striker Extreme&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

    What I find really funny, is one guy reporting an 8800 GT works.
    8800 GT was a PCI Express 2.0 card, that had problems with a number
    of different PCI Express 1.0 motherboards. They fixed that, by
    issuing new video card BIOS files, so the video card had to be
    flashed to fix it. What that was supposed to do, was try
    PCI Express 1.0 mode first (or only that mode), and that
    was supposed to fix it. So someone on the Asus forum got
    an 8800 GT to work with Striker Extreme. I understand the
    PCI Express 2.0 standard, actually says to try PCI Express
    1.0 mode first, so it is supposed to go in that order anyway.

    It looks like people have been playing with various settings,
    in an attempt to figure it out. For example, they tried playing
    with PCI Express clock. Someone also mentioned some (unnamed)
    forum trying to modify the Northbridge voltage.

    If I had that motherboard and problem, I might try plugging in
    an old PCI video card, just to get the system working, and then
    try the PCI Express video card in various slots. On some motherboards,
    the BIOS is sensitive to which slot is tried by the user. The slot
    closest to the processor is the one I'd try first. Sometimes, the
    other ones cannot be used if only one video card is present, and
    I'm not sure why the BIOS would care.

    I wonder if disabling Link Boost would help ? That looks
    pretty dangerous...

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2869&p=5

    It would definitely be more fun to debug this, with a cheap
    PCI video card just to drive the monitor, while you try settings
    in the BIOS.

    Paul