Re: Laptop for backup storage ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by .pull@shoot.com, Jan 13, 2009.

  1. Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 01:17:33 +0000, Grendal
    <> wrote:

    >I have an Acer 3680 laptop that I am rebuilding and I can get a 160 gb
    >drive for under $50. Is it practical to use this laptop as a means of
    >backing up my two 80 gb desktops? Really, I have only 100 gb of data
    >to backup. Thanks. How might I best do this? Will it be too slow?

    I think that you can use a special usb cable with crossed IN/OUT
    signals between your computers. This kind of cable exist in
    specialized computer stores.

    GENERAL INFO besides the original question!

    If you make only copies of your directories and files, you don't
    back-up everything of your computer (example: registers).
    This way of doing is sufficient to backup data, but if you intend to
    make a full back-up who will allow you to restore your computer in
    case of crash, you have to use a dedicated backup software (like GHOST
    for instance).

    Paul

    , Jan 13, 2009

  2. Mike Walsh Guest

    wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 01:17:33 +0000, Grendal
    > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >I have an Acer 3680 laptop that I am rebuilding and I can get a 160 gb
    > >drive for under $50. Is it practical to use this laptop as a means of
    > >backing up my two 80 gb desktops? Really, I have only 100 gb of data
    > >to backup. Thanks. How might I best do this? Will it be too slow?

    > I think that you can use a special usb cable with crossed IN/OUT
    > signals between your computers. This kind of cable exist in
    > specialized computer stores.

    I think a crossover USB cable can be used only with Vista.
    A crossover serial (rs232), parallel, or ethernet cable can be used with WinXP.
    An ethernet crossover cable will give acceptable speed (very fast if you have gigabit NICs) and is easy to set up and use if both PCs have ethernet adapters.

    > GENERAL INFO besides the original question!
    >
    > If you make only copies of your directories and files, you don't
    > back-up everything of your computer (example: registers).
    > This way of doing is sufficient to backup data, but if you intend to
    > make a full back-up who will allow you to restore your computer in
    > case of crash, you have to use a dedicated backup software (like GHOST
    > for instance).

    You should create restore points at regular periods to back up the registry.

    --
    Mike Walsh

    Mike Walsh, Jan 13, 2009

  3. Mike Walsh Guest

    That will work. Configure each PC with a static IP address.
    If you have high speed internet access now would be a good time to buy a router and connect both PCs to the router; instead of the direct connection with a crossover cable.

    --
    Mike Walsh

    Mike Walsh, Jan 14, 2009